“Beautiful resort for weekend getaway” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Doubletree Resort by Hilton Hotel Sanya Haitang Bay

Doubletree Resort by Hilton Hotel Sanya Haitang Bay
Ranked #22 of 1,326 Hotels in Sanya
Holly, Michigan
“Beautiful resort for weekend getaway”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2014 via mobile

I stayed there over a weekend getaway. The hotel treat diamond member nicely put me in a oceanfront suite. Beautiful view of ocean and sunrise and a very spacious room. They sewed my initial to my pillow which made me feel really special. Had a great time enjoying the pool and the beach walk. Will definitely come back in future.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Markus K, General Manager at Doubletree Resort by Hilton Hotel Sanya Haitang Bay, responded to this review, 6 February 2014
Dear Weihao L,

To learn that your stay surpassed your expectations is indeed gratifying and is what motivates us all to excel. It was an absolute pleasure having you stay with us.

We certainly do hope you will visit us again soon.

Warmest regards,

Markus Kosch

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
广州, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014

Getting up with sun shine and seashore everyday just like having a good dream in my life. The foods are tasted and the living place is awesome!! The waiter/waitress are very friendly and polite. But I had to keep giving order to them to satisfy my desire which make me very unhappy. I want to enjoy my trip, not acting like a master, I should not care about whether I need to change my bathrobe, or how/when will my plates be retrieved. I appreciate the trip to this hotel will become better next time.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Dear Nan J,

First of all please accept my sincere apology if the service you received is less than first class during your stay. As the first DoubleTree Resort in Hainan Island, we do want to impress guests with flawless service and hospitality! I appreciate your feedback so that we know what to improve for a better experience.

Thank you again for choosing to stay with us I look forward for the opportunity to welcome you back in future.

Best regards,

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014

It was our first trip to Sanya and we purposely booked a family friendly hotel for our 3 year old. After a few hiccups with our reservation (our hotel stay was a package bought from CX) and a couple of careless mistakes, we're finally compensated with an upgrade.

The Double Tree Hilton is a beautiful but big resort with more than 400 rooms, although there were a few issues, however we have managed to met and be served by some of the excellent staff and management during our 6 day stay.

The first two days of breakfast were chaotic, it almost looked like people were fighting to get some food and honestly most of them took more than what they can consume...a constant issue of the definition of "buffet" in China.

Anyway, we wanted to thank Yamir for serving us fresh and hot coffee everyday, and for helping us with lunch ideas. We feel that when one takes its job seriously and is proactive, that one is a potential for a company and definitely a keeper.

Grace at the reception really went for the extra mile for us when it came to our room and since the hiccups, we're very much looked after during our entire stay. She should also be credited for her work ethics and performance. Also, Josan, the F&B Director was always around assisting and making recommendations for us.

A few issues that we'd like to bring up, one of it being the cleanliness by the Housekeeping staff. It seems the maids don't really know the definition to make-up rooms. All they did was to change our towels, mop where they could see the floor. My 3 yr old loves to spread her giant numbers and letters around the floor and this maid didn't even bother to lift them up so she could clean the floor properly. Instead, she opted for the areas were there's nothing on it...hilarious! For 5 days, the dust on our table was never once wiped, neither was the tiny floor area between the sofa and the carpet. We could see the peanut shells being left there from day 1 to day 5! Another day our tea cups were used and I asked the maid if she would also clean those. She said no, we'll only clean it after you have check out! Gob smacked I lost for words, being a regular business traveller I've never come across a hotel were the housekeeping won't clean your cups and glasses every day. I really lost for words there.

Another issue is that we hope there could have been more activities to do around the resort. After 3 days you sort of starting to feel bored by just lying on your sun bed or pool side.

Lastly, we want to thank Markus, the General Manager for bringing us a pleasant stay after being aware of our booking. The hotel has potential and can be better with regular training offered to staff. We are the living proof that under Markus leadership and watch, most of his managers were doing its job and duties well, and sometimes outside of its comfort zone too.

Overall we had a pleasant stay and we look forward coming back for another holiday. Maybe next time the Conrad :)

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Beijing, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014

Dear Staff of Double Tree,
we never enjoyed such wonderful service as in Hilton Double Tree!
It was our third trip to Sanya and will not be the last one. The organisation, the welcome, the service in the restaurants have been great and the dinners in "Senses": outstanding!!!

Room Tip: Higher floor is better for the view, rooms located at the end of the hallways are quiet
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Markus K, General Manager at Doubletree Resort by Hilton Hotel Sanya Haitang Bay, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Dear Mr. Faber,

Thank you for taking time to share your experience regarding your recent stay with us.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your tropical getaway with us. With an exclusive beach stretching out hundreds meters and the beautifully designed landscape, our resort offers the pure relaxing for a tropical holiday. I am so glad to know that you enjoyed your delightful moments at poolside Senses restaurant at Conrad Sanya Haitang Bay, which is just next door. It was a pleasure meeting you and your wife during your stay.

Looking forward to welcoming you back in in the near future!

Shanghai
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2013

We booked a week in sanya as a family getaway over Christmas. We live in shanghai, and we decided to go to hainan since it's convenient and easy for my wife's parents to communicate (they only speak Chinese). We've been to sanya before and while we generally prefer Thailand we thought it made sense given the short duration of our trip.

We opted to stay in Haitang instead of yaolong bay because we heard the beach was pretty nice and the prices were quite a bit lower than the same quality yoalong bay hotels.

Before I go any further I should say that I spend about $10k per year on personal travel and another 30-40 on business travel, and I often stay at Hilton and Conrad hotels, as well as other resorts, and this is the first time ice felt so compelled to share my experience and warn fellow travelers. This was by far the worst experience I have had at a Hilton property.

From the beginning it was a disappointment. We booked two rooms, one for my wife and I, and one for her parents and our three year old son.

Here are a few of the lowlights.

Facilities
We woke up the first morning to no hot water. No problem, we call and are told someone will be right up to take care of it. We can go to breakfast and it will be fixed by the time we come back. We get back an hour later and it's not working. My wife calls and is told someone will be up in 30 minutes to look at it. Ok, stuff happens. We hit the pool.

Around 1 pm while we are sitting at the pool and our son is napping in the room just above, workers decide it would be a good idea to start drilling and hammering right behind us. They are doing a simple repair on tiles, but this goes on for more than 30 minutes before I finally go complain to management. This is exactly what we were trying to get away from in shanghai.

Our ocean view rooms had a lovely view of the next building and the pool, the view of the sea was about a 30 degree expanse. We changed rooms to one by the sea and exactly the same thing. Each room has a 30 degree exposure to the sea. Hilton got cheap with this property and sacrificed views for packing in rooms and other buildings.

Location
Haitang is about 40 minutes from sanya town. Unlike yaolong bay, nothing has been developed around it, so you have a long haul to go for dinner. Plan on spending around $35 each time you want to go to town for dinner,

There is a shuttle bus, but it only runs twice a day, is generally fully booked, and the last one leaves at 4:30 pm, so if you have kids you need to leave the pool around 2:30 to get ready and make the shuttle, and arriving around 5 is pretty early for dinner.

The sad thing is that rather than recognizing the critical shortcoming of their location and turning that around to be something of a plus or compensating for it, the Hilton management has decided to exploit the situation by gouging people who eat there. A bowl of noodles at their noodle bar (1 of only 2 restaurants open at lunch) charges $21 for a single bowl of noodles. To put this in perspective, the same meal would cost between &1 and $2 in a local restaurant and the hotel is making a profit of more than 1,000%. I wouldn't mind if I weren't stranded in the middle of nowhere with at least one or two alternatives.

Communication
I speak passable Chinese, but when I stay in a 5 star international resort I expect to be able to communicate in English. The level of English among the staff was a joke. Our first night my wife was coughing so I asked if we could have some caugh medicine sent to the room. The first person on the phone was lost and passed me on the the duty manager, who repeated caugh medicine and said he'd send it up. Almost an hour later, a knock at the door and a man standing there hands me a bag of coffee beans. :) it was funny except that we stayed up another hour waiting for this when we could
have gone to bed.

In sanya it is competitive to get staff with English skills, but at least for key positions this should be required (operator, concierge, etc.). The hotel fails here again.

My recommendation is to stick with a safe bet like Thailand. Resorts are generally better run. If you opt for sanya, stay in yaolong bay. The resorts are older and a little tired in general, but the location and service are better.

• Stayed December 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Brianlovestravel
Markus K, General Manager at Doubletree Resort by Hilton Hotel Sanya Haitang Bay, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Dear valued guest

Thank you very much for staying with us during the period of Christmas.

I am sorry to learn that you had some disappointing experiences during your stay, please accept my sincerest apologies for all the inconveniences that caused. We will try our best to strengthen efficiency on engineering maintenance and more English trainings to ensure these cases will not happen again in the future. As for the price issue you mentioned, I do understand prices might be considered as expensive, as it changes from location to location, I would like to ensure you that our prices are in line with other hotels within the same category in Sanya.

Meanwhile, we highly appreciate your comments as it is only through feedback like this that we are able to continually monitor and improve both our products and quality of services. Our team is committed to your complete satisfaction and empowered to deliver DoubleTree CARE service attending to your needs. We sincerely hope that on your next visit we will deliver our promised service.

Look forward to welcoming you and your family back in the near future!

HK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2013

For us, it's really far away, it takes about 45mins from hotel to city centre (rmb 100 by taxi). One day, we went to Yalong Bay from downtown and want to return to the hotel by taxi, several drivers refused. Finally, a driver willing to take us but request extra service charges on the way back! We stay at the room access to lagoon, it's very nice and spacious. Front desk service was great. Nice and relaxing by pool side. Although the beach was not for swimiming but the view was very great. Breakfasts has a lot of variety but the most annoying thing was the flies!!! Many flies in the restaurant was unbeliveable.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Markus K, General Manager at Doubletree Resort by Hilton Hotel Sanya Haitang Bay, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Dear Doris

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with us.

I am so glad to read your positive comments on our service, room and hotel overall views, indeed it’s a perfect place for personal leisure getaway. Meantime I am sorry to know that we still have some areas fell short of your expectation. Now we are trying every effort to avoid the annoying flies caused by the recent typhoon. In order to provide an easier connection between hotel and downtown, a daily complimentary shuttle bus service is provided by hotel.

Looking forward to welcoming you soon in the near future!

Figtree, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013

Markus thanks for the great experience. Give my many thanks and regards to all the staff, shin and Snow in particular. Everyone there was fantastic and very helpful, very friendly, sorry if i cannot name all here , but i am sure they all know who they are: right the way to the chef's and chef's hands, waiters, even pool attendants and cleaners. Cappuccino was worked out specially for me, thank you all. Yes all gave me a pleasant and very happy stay, always smiling. Food was excellent at all times, very fresh daily, hotel and grounds very clean and tidy. Beach was great for swimming or relaxing, pools are just like in the photo's, cannot fault anything.
Restaurants and shops only 20 minutes away at yalong bay.
I will be back, so hope to see you all again, keep smiling. Take care all, keep up the excellent work Markus, you have a great team of people who work with you mate.
Regards
Mark Andrew Kawalla
Figtree, Australia

Room Tip: ocean view is spectacular
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Mark

Thank you very much for taking time to share your experiences on your recent stay with us.

I am delighted to read that you had such an enjoyable and relaxing stay with us. I’m also very fortunate to have such great team members with me. It is always very rewarding when we receive positive feedbacks like yours.

Look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you and your entire family back to our Resort soon!