“Nice hotel, but not that exceptional”

The St. Regis Sanya Yalong Bay Resort
Ranked #11 of 1,350 Hotels in Sanya
Reviewed 23 July 2012

I went for a short holiday with my wife and kid (14 year-old boy) to Sanya at the end of June, just before the summer vacation started. We bought an airfare-plus-hotel package from Dragonair for something like HK$3,200 each, which was reasonable given the St Regis name and the fact that it was just opened at the end of 2011.

The hotel is located at one end of the Yalong Bay and occupies a very large site with its own beach as well as a yachts club. The whole complex consists of a large eight-storey building with may be 300-400 rooms and two separate sections of 30-40 pool villas on either side of the main building. The architecture is okay but a bit strange. The rooftop of the main building looks like that of the Beijing airport passenger terminal. There are a large number of huge columns around the building supporting the rooftop. There are painted in bright yellow colour and probably try to convey a Chinese look. They are not really my cup of tea. Interior decoration and furniture is nice and elegant, but nothing really exciting.

We arrived after 9pm but registration was reasonably efficient. A bellboy led us to our room, and a butler was already waiting for us outside our room when we arrived. He showed us how some of the things worked in our room, which was nice but actually quite unnecessary. In fact, throughout our two-night stay we did not need his service at all.

Our room was quite big, probably something like 50 square metres in size, and had two double beds as well as a roller-bed for our kid. As the double bed was big enough for my wife and I, we decided that the roller-bed was unnecessary and asked the reception desk to get it removed. It took two additional conversations between me and the reception desk and more than half an hour to get this done. By then it was almost 11pm. Otherwise, we had no complain with our room.

Breakfast at the coffee shop was okay – although there were many selections they were mostly Chinese while Western choices were a bit limited, in our view. This probably had to do with the fact that most guests were Chinese rather than foreigners. The following night, we had dinner at the Driftwood Seafood Restaurant by the beach. We opted for the seafood set dinner for two – four oysters (if I remember correctly), two tiger prawns, a lobster, some squid and fish – at a cost of some 900 yuan or US$140. Add in my glass of white wine, juices for my wife and kid, plus a 15% service charge, the bill came to 1,400 yuan or US$220. Frankly, it was not worth the money because the quality of the ingredients was not that good.

We had an early dinner that night because we had made an appointment for a spa treatment at 9:30. The spa centre was located at a separate building near the main building and facing the yacht club. The building was quite big, with very high ceiling, and spaciously laid out. The reception area was wide open, and the corridors were very wide and could easily allow a tank to drive through. There was also an internal courtyard planted with a few trees. Strangely, the treatment rooms were not that big. My wife and I had a couples package and we shared a treatment room that came with an en-suite bathroom. As soon as we walked into our room, we were in a long and narrow section with two chairs and a cupboard. This was where we had our footbath – we were seated and our two masseuses had just enough room to kneel before us, each with a wooden washing basin. I stared at the white wall that had absolutely no decoration whatsoever right in front of me, and felt very claustrophobic. The massage room itself was not much better – there was enough room for two massage tables and space for the girls to move around doing their job, but not much surplus space. I just couldn’t understand why the treatment rooms were so small and the public areas so spacious.

The staff was generally friendly and many would proactively greet us and smile at us. This was quite different from our previous experience in Sanya about five or six years ago when we stayed at other hotels like the Sheraton, Hilton and Marriott. At that time most local staff would try to look away when we ran into them in an open area such as the garden or the corridor. I was particularly impressed with a swimming pool staff named William. I went swimming early the first morning, before the pools were officially open. I wanted to call my room and tell my wife my whereabouts, only to find that there was no phone around the pool because it was too early. William was getting the pool ready and he realised that I was looking for something. He asked what I needed, and then pulled out his own mobile phone to call the hotel’s general line to get a connection to my room. That was very nice of him indeed.

All in all, it was a decent hotel with very nice room (at least for us) but strange architecture. Nice staff, especially William. However, I had higher hope for a St Regis (this being the first time I ever stayed at a St Regis property though I had had lunch at the New York St Regis years ago).

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank allanng2004
St_Regis_Sanya, Manager at The St. Regis Sanya Yalong Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2012

Dear Guest, we highly appreciate your stay and such detailed comments sharing with us. It is our great pleasure to know that your general experience in our resort was good, and you had a great impression of our room facilities, seriveces, friendly staffs such as William, total guests satisfaction is our utmost priority. Besides, we sincerely apologize for the inefficiency of removing your roller bed, please be rest assured that we have forwarded your comments to Front Office Department concerned and immediate action has been taken to ensure this will not happen again in the future. We would also appreciate your comments about Driftwood and Spa, we will do enhancements for each fields accordingly. We sincerely wish the exquisite scenery can bring back wonderful memories to you, we hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to our resort on your next visit to Sanya. Butler service, allow me.

Reviewed 3 July 2012

It's a great hotel. Great view onYalong bay, nice helpful staff. Huge beautiful rooms. Amazing gardens and outdoor restaurants.
The only (-) is that it's far away from airport, city center, Buddha temple...

Room Tip: Relax on the beach
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Cynthia E
Management response:Responded 10 July 2012

Dear Guest, warm greetings from The St. Regis Sanya Yalong Bay Resort! We higly appreciate your stay and valuable comments. We are so delighted to know that you enjoyed a relaxable business stay and satisfied our service, rooms and landscapes, thank you so much agian. Yalong Bay is a tranquil resort distrct which is not in the down town of Sanya, so there are 32km from airport to St. Reigs Sanya, but we provided a daily shuttle bus to airport, other transportation such as taxi, bus are also available, wish to make your trip more convenient. We sincerely hope your travel plan will bring you back to Sanya and stay in St. Regis again. St. Regis Butler Service, Allow Me.

Reviewed 15 June 2012

So I come down hard on snooty hotels that try to appeal to only the "high class." Fortunately, St. Regis Sanya isn't one of them. It really is a type of comfortable luxury.

So in general I expect 5 star China hotels to have great service and this property was no different. The service wasn't what I was worried about, rather, I was more worried about how it was as a vacation spot. Would I be harassed every 5 minutes to see if everything is ok etc? Every 30 minutes is ok and which is what I got.

The hotel is friendly and down to earth. It's not like some other of its counterparts that are a little stuffy, because it provides down to earth comfort and luxury and a beautiful experience.

This is really a great hotel and definitely one everyone should consider when looking at luxury hotels in Sanya.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Michael L
Management response:Responded 28 June 2012

Dear Guest, warm greetings from The St. Regis Sanya Yalong Bay Resort! Thanks for your stay and the valuable comments. It was our honor to privide such friendly and down to earth service and facilities to you and made youe satisfied. As China's most coveted beachfront address, we will do our best to welcome guests from all the world as always. We once again would like to thank you for your time and affirmative. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to The St. Regis Sanya Yalong Bay Resort to have a relaxing and luxurious stay again. St. Regis butler service, allow me.

Reviewed 5 April 2012

We had a great experience at the st Regis sanya this past weekend.

Sunny (general manager), jacky (butler chief) and his team took great care of us during our 3 night stay. As a 15 year SPG member and the past 7 as a platinum member we were upgraded to a Beach Villa despite the fact that we were staying with points.

This is a new hotel so understandably there were areas that could be improved. I totally expect though that in due time this will be a property worthy of the St Regis brand.

Would totally recommend this property to other frequent travelers.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
St_Regis_Sanya, Manager at The St. Regis Sanya Yalong Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2012

Dear Guest, thank you for your stay and valuable comments. We are delighted to know that you had a memorable stay in our hotel. All guests' satisfaction is our utmost priority, it was our honor to receive SPG members no matter it was paid or points redeemed. Thanks again for your support and affirmative, we will be better according to your support. Sunny and his team sincerely hope we wil have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel on you next visit to Sanya.

Reviewed 26 February 2012

St. Regis has always prided itself in providing luxury and excellent service. Well, this stay proved to be exactly just that. The breakfast buffet offered such a wide choice; clean room and friendly staff at check-in and of course check-out while the restaurant staff at Social were very
warm-hearted.

I would not hesitate to stay there again and it really was a very relaxing and
luxurious stay.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kin J
St_Regis_Sanya, Manager at The St. Regis Sanya Yalong Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2012

Dear Guest, thank you very much for your recognition and feedback. We are delighted to know that you had a excellent stay in our hotel and satisfied with the service. It it our pleasure to provide St. Regis facilities and services to all of our guests, highly appreciate your affirmative and support. We sincerely hope your travel plan will bring you back to stay with us again.

Reviewed 1 January 2012

We arrived late on Christmas night and were famished. Amy Liu from the Social was welcoming and quickly settled us in. Our meal was delicious and promptly served. We needed more towels for the children and our butler Kevin Wang returned with not only bath towels but also bath robes and bedroom slippers for them. The rooms were a good size being able to fit in two queen-sized beds with a lovely view of the ocean. The bathrooms were half the size of the rooms and it had two sinks, a shower ,a toilet and a long bath. The Ming Xuan serves excellent dim sum with attentive service from Lily and her team. The Driftwood, situated along the beach, proved to have one of the freshest seafood prepared exquisitely. Rajan was a great host who made us feel very welcome. He was attentive even to the tiniest detail. The kids room proved to be fun for the children. Overall, it had been a wonderful break and the service was beyond expectations.

• Stayed: December 2011
3  Thank Harily
leslie h, Manager at The St. Regis Sanya Yalong Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2012

Dear honoured guest, thanks for choosing our resort and sharing your comments with us! It was our pleasure to provide St. Regis Service and make you satisfied. Thanks for your affirmative and supports, we sincerely to welcome you back and wish you a happy, healthy and prosperous Year of the Dragon!

Reviewed 28 December 2011

My family and I use free night awards for year-end holiday. However, everything is not as good as we expect, in fact, it is the worse hotel I had stay in my whole life. Here are some points:

(1) As a platinum member, there is no welcome letter signed by hotel manager in my room. This is the 1st time I do not receive welcome while staying SPG hotels as platinum member
(2) There are bugs & insects in the room. Maybe because the garden is still under construction.
(3) When we get into our room, we found the towel was used by someone. We request to change it immediately. When we first report it, someone in the lobby said it is not impossible since he just check the room in the morning. But, the room is not ready while we check in. There is no time for him to check the room after the room is ready for us since my husband is talking to him all the time before we went to the room. He lied about this.
(4) Since the garden is still under construction, there is a letter from the hotel suggesting do not open the patio windows while sleeping since it is not safe and there will be bugs coming into the room. There is NO air conditioner during the night and the blanket is very thick. By taking the hotel suggestion, we did not open the patio window. The room temp is very high. We can not have a good night sleep. We request the hotel to check the air conditioner, they send someone to check and tell us the air con is broken due to the bugs. They suggest us to change the room. We did. but there is no big improvement. Since it’s 11:45pm, we are tired and don’t want to argue w/hotel so we take the new room. The next day, all my family members said their rooms are hot during the night too. We realized the hotel just shot down the air con during the night and never tell their customers the truth.
(5) For the heated pools, we ask the safety guard when it will be closed and his answer is around 9:45pm. This is another lie. The heated pools closed at 10pm, the safety guard just wants to be off on time so he changed the closing time by himself and ignore the customers’ right.
(6) There are garbage in the beach. My family went to the beach around 7:30am. The beach is a mess, they send someone to clean around 8:30am. That is ridiculous. For other beach resorts, they will clean the beach around 6am while everyone is still sleeping and leave a clean & beautiful beach to customers who enjoy morning exercise. But , not here.
(7) The construction workers were all over the hotels. They won’t let the customer use the road first. They just ignore the customers and keeping working on the construction.
(8) Our rooms are in the 7th fl. The wooden/marble floor is not polished in the lobby and dust everywhere.
(9) On the first night, we find one of our bag is missing. We put in the room. There are hotel beach slippers in the bag. We use hotel beach slippers to go to the beach in the afternoon. We put the slippers in our plastic bag since we don’t have time to take it out. We think we will use the slippers again tomorrow. It should have no problems. But the bag was gone when we came back at the 1st night. There must be someone checks our private bag and take it. Although the hotel return to us later. But, I can not believe that the hotel will open our bag and check what is inside. For the following several nights, we always lock out baggage before going out.

After all those things, we did not receive any apologies from the hotel management level. They seem do NOT care about platinum member who use free night rewards.
I won’t suggest people to come here since I don’t feel any respect from the hotel. The hotel should not open at this time. Nothing is ready and everybody is lying. The hotel doesn’t care about its reputation. The hotel just wants to open early so they can make money ASAP. If you really need to come, LOCK your baggage when you are not in the room.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
7  Thank edge91210

Dear honoured guest, thank you for choosing our resort and sharing your comments with us! We are so sorry to know that your overall experience at our resort was not good, we have improved our service quality and strengthen operations according to your comments. As the China's most coveted beachfront address, we wish to make all guests satisfied during their stay. We sincerely welcome you back again and wish you ahappy, healthy and prosperous Year of the Dragon!