“Perfect place for a pure beach holiday”

Wanda Vista Resort Sanya
Ranked #56 of 1,373 Hotels in Sanya
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Spent three nights at the resort in Sanya. Got free upgrade to the 110m Suite, with sea view, balcony, a small living room over the Venetian alike river in the resort.

Overall, the resort has a 5-star standard. Location is not perfect, however, if you want to experience a simple beach sunshine holiday, it has everything! It is very close to Wuzhizhou Island where almost all water activities are offered. The beach quality and the huge wedding lawn was very impressive, with bars around where you can easily order drinks anytime. Restaurant is not perfect as you have no choice but to pay for the overly priced food stuff, the quality is ok. Several more restaurants in the resort are to be opened soon. The staff were helpful and attentive to our needs. Also tried the lounge bar, designs and drinks were fine but too many mosquito, luckily the staff offered repel.

We had a great time here in mid May 2014, with not too many guests at this time of year.

Room Tip: Join the membership to enjoy free Wifi.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tiovo41
RudigerHollweg, General Manager at Wanda Vista Resort Sanya, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your positive feedback on your recent stay at Kempinski Hotel Haitang Bay Sanya, and your comments on our Resort and services.
The restaurant situation will change very soon, as we are in the final planning stage for 5 more food and beverage outlets, which will be completed by late autumn. They will include a Paulaner Biergarten and a beach restaurant with beach bar, among others.
I appreciate your staying with us and my team and I look forward to welcoming you soon again to our Resort,
Rüdiger C. Hollweg

Reviewed 14 May 2014

We spent 4 nights and 3 full days in this very comfortable hotel and received just what we wanted - relaxation!
After 4 days of exploring Shanghai we were plesantly tired and to recharge our batteries Kempinski offered warm sea, beautiful green garden with some exotic flowers, nice room with a view and friendly service to us.

There are minor flaws (after Hotel Indigo one can easily see them): level of English among most of staff members, very short wine list in main restaurant, kids playground (looks dangerously dated) near the beach. Though rooms are very spacious, design beats the comfort in some way.

Something could be considered a result of local guests (99% of all tourists) habits and traditions. As just few of them swim in a sea the beach is nearly empty (what we liked very much), so beach bar there served drinks one day only. Another example: most Chinese dine elsewhere in the evening and main restaurant Cafe-K is normally empty also, so set menu (with a very limited choice) for those who made a mistake to pay for half-board is the same every single day.
Fortunately, all small issues were solved by the end of the first day.

First of all we stoped paying attention to the local "dress code" of beach shorts and T-shirts for dinner, and went on wearing what we consider a proper outfit.
Then we met Mr. Volkov, beverage manager, who added other dinning options individually for us. He also increased the quality of Dry Martini in the bar dramatically (#2 now, after Vue bar in Shanghai). Luckily enough, highly skilled waiter, Miller, was taking a great care of us, starting the second day and we felt like royalties after that. Thank you again, Miller!

Hotel offers excellent breakfast, one of the best ever, with a huge choice of everything both chinese and international. Quality and taste of meal throughout the day is remarkable and presentation is very good also.

Sea is warm and the beach is clean. Sun beds are always available. Unlimited use of beach towels is being offered. Red flag "No swimming" is always up, even when water is absolutely calm. Ignore it.

A previous reviewer, jojo69usa, is right - there is noting around the hotel. And 4 days was more then enough for us.
And it looks like other hotels shall be built shorly on each side of Kempinski.
That is why we can not recommend rooms other than with sea view; most probably you will see construction site only from your window.

By taxi it takes 40 minutes to get to Kempinski from airport, cost is RMB 110. In case you do not have the hotel address in Chinese, look at brown direction signposts and draw your driver's attention to Haitang Bay sign first, and when in Haitang Bay area, to the Kempinski sign (forth in the list from the top).

Room Tip: 6th floor is the best, of course, as you have view over the garden.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Irina94
RudigerHollweg, General Manager at Wanda Vista Resort Sanya, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Dear Guests,
Thank you for your positive review on your experience during your recent stay at Kempinski Hotel Haitang Bay Sanya. I am very pleased to learn that you have enjoyed your stay with us and appreciated the services especially of Miller and Nikita. I have passed on your compliment to them.
Appreciating very much your comments, I would like to inform you that by autumn we also will add on some services you mentioned in your description. A full beach service will be added, once the El Faro lighthouse restaurant opens and the half board menu has just been changed entirely, since our Chef Jerry came on board two weeks ago, offering many more choices and daily changing special dishes will follow soon.
My team and I would be very pleased to welcome you again to our Resort in the near future,

Reviewed 13 May 2014

We stayed here in a two bedroom villa with a private pool for a week. A family with two teenage children and a nine year old, we found the place with the private pool, the spaciousness of the resort, the fabulous breakfast buffet, absolutely divine. The design of the interior spaces is exquisite. After a longer road trip through China across populous and relatively polluted cities and villages, this was our last stop, and it felt like heaven. We enjoyed the tranquility, the remoteness from civilization, the clean air and immaculate artificiality of the place, and the incredible chance to have almost an entire beach to ourselves. Strongly recommended for taking a break in China away from China.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guests,
Thank you for your excellent review on your recent stay at the Kempinski Villas of our Resort, and I am very pleased that you and your family enjoyed your relaxing stay with us so much.
We will introduce in autumn new added on services for the Kempinski Villa guests, like a new Club Lounge, and I hope to have the pleasure to welcoming you back to our resort, when travelling again to China.

Reviewed 10 May 2014

My wife and I spent 3 nights in this magnificent property, we can tell you all about the great ocean view room we received, the nice pool it has and a fantastic breakfast buffet, but all these can't over come one major flaw, location location location! There is nothing, I mean literally nothing to do in the surrounding areas, maybe in another 5 years, but if you are looking for any sort of activities, don't expect any where close. Nice hotel but extremely boring!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
RudigerHollweg, General Manager at Wanda Vista Resort Sanya, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2014

Dear Guests,
Thank you for your review on your recent stay to our resort, and although you seem to have enjoyed all our facilities and services, missed some more activity around the hotel.
Well, I have some good news for you, as on property, we will soon add on some more services, like a full beach and pool service, as we thought this is really missing, and we will add by October this year some more restaurant outlets: The Paulaner Biergarten will open in autumn, El Faro, on the beach, will offer light meals Ocean side with great views over Haitang Bay and the beach lawn, an icecream parlour and much more.
Outside our resort, the Chinese theatre is open every night and next door to it China's only Duty-Free-Shopping enter CDF-Mall will open in August on 80.000 qm with many luxury brands on offer and many restaurants and bars.
You have got to know now the infrastructure in Sanya, and our Resort will change very soon in a way that will allow you to stay on property with many new and exciting offers to come, and outside, well, Sanya is a destination resort, and there is so much to discover, all these beauties of nature and sights or to play golf.
My team and I look forward to welcoming you again to Kempinski Haitang Bay Sanya in the near future,

Reviewed 3 May 2014

When I was at school I learned a little about the architectural concept of Form over Function. The Kempinski is all Form and no Function (well not much).
The public areas of the property are grand, but if you have small children or are a little older, there are too many stairs and navigation is a surprising challenge.

The lobby bar could be a great place to hangout, but you have a choice of stifling while undercover or being bitten by mosquitoes sitting on the terrace. The breakfast buffet is impressive, but the gannet-like tourist hordes make it a far from restful experience.

The rooms are an impressive design of wood paneling and marble, but nothing quite fits or works. At the elaborately craved work desk, the movement of the directors chair is impeded by a thick (stained) carpet. There are no mirrors in the room. The last time I cleaned my teeth without a mirror was when I went camping. I found myself constantly moving in backwards and forwards to get the ordinarily in room tasks completed.
The large balcony (overlooking the garden) has an enticing Jacuzzi but is overlooked by guests moving between the lobby and their rooms, so is unusable for all practical purposes.
As a resort, the hotel is some-what isolated, so unless you make specific arrangements to journey out, expect to spend most of your time on property. Frankly, this could have been anywhere. This is true of most properties on the HaiTangBay strip. Try YaLongBay for more activity, although much more local.
There is an array of restaurants ~ not tried.
One nice touch was a free cup of coffee with my early morning wake up call.

Room Tip: Choose a garden or sea facing room. The outward facing rooms overlook a construction site on the Ea...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
RudigerHollweg, General Manager at Wanda Vista Resort Sanya, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for staying at Kempinski Hotel Haitang Bay Sanya during your recent business trip, and your comment on TripAdvisor.
The Kempinski Sanya is certainly not the common hotel building, I agree, but has been planned to unite Chinese hotel architecture and many Chinese features on property, like the ancient Wood-Art Museum, which guests can enjoy free of charge, the Chinese Pagoda (which will host from October onwards the new Paulaner Biergarten), two antique Pagodas (which will host from September onwards a Chinese Tea Ceremony - House and an American Ice-cream Parlour), not to forget the 1,2km seawater river for dragon boat rides.
It is very diversified and this is the reason, that not everything is in easy walking distance, but also accessible by wheel chair. It takes some more time than a short trip perhaps to discover and enjoy what this property has on offer.
If you decide on a vacation in Sanya, anywhere in Sanya, you need public or taxi transportation, as the city is spread out on over 40 km length and no resort has a connection to the city center, or to cultural sites.
I appreciate the comments on our rooms and my apologies that mosquitoes were around and our fan coils not placed!
It would be my pleasure to welcoming you again to Kempinski Hotel Haitang Bay Sanya in the near future.

Reviewed 13 April 2014

We stayed in a 2 bed with pool villa for 4 nights. The food is excellent in all restaurants service was however slow but very friendly. The bar was an interesting experience as again was very slow to both take the order and deliver the drinks. The in house band was remarkable , I have never heard singing that bad in public before.

The villa was excellent as was Barron the Villa manger. However the standard of maintenance was far far below what should be realistic for a hotel of this age and standard. The handrail to the second floor balcony was so rotten that it would have broken if pushed. To say it was dangerous is an understatement.
Housekeeping did not service the rooms properly, cleaning was basic at best and on only 1 night of 4 did we get a turndown service.
The Spa was outstanding easy to book and great quality.
Overal a lovely hotel which urgently needs to improve its service and approach to maintenance.
Final comment to charge to charge roughly £20 for a 18 hole putting facility is a little over the top. Indeed we were the only people who seemed to use it.

Richard

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
RudigerHollweg, General Manager at Wanda Vista Resort Sanya, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your valuable comment in reference to your recent stay at Kempinski Hotel Haitang Bay Sanya.
I appreciate your positive comments on the food and drink quality in our restaurants and bar, but have also taken note of your critical comment on the service provided. We are presently undergoing an intensive training program to improve this asap.
I would also like to thank you for your positive comment on Baron, our Kempinski Villa Manager, which I much appreciated and passed on to him.
We have also addressed to the point of the status of the terraces' railing and flooring, and they all will be changed and/or repaired until September, being part of the hotel opening snaglist. My sincere apologies that these features were not up to standard during your stay.
Thank you once again for your comments and I hope to be given the pleasure to welcoming you again to Kempinski Hotel Haitang Bay in the near future.

Reviewed 12 April 2014

I stayed here for a couple of days during a conference. Right from the arrival after midnight I was impressed with the look of the hotel. The lobby area is very spacious and has wonderful decorations that are nicely illuminated in the night.
Check-in was efficient. I got a room in one of the six main buildings. The room also was a very nice surprise. It was large and had an interesting design. The large balcony holds a big bath tub. I am not sure many actually use this but it surely looks interesting.
The grounds of the hotel hold a very large swimming pool and from there towards the beach you first cross a nice green lawn. The beach area was quiet (early April) which I appreciated. The sea water was remarkably warm.

The hotel holds a range of restaurants, including one with an international menu as well as a Chinese restaurant. The buffet breakfast had a very large selection of food from many corners of the world.
The bar area in the main building overlooks the grounds of the hotel. Our large group was nicely served by the friendly staff who worked hard to make our stay there pleasant.

All in all a very nice experience.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank RonaldInBangkok

Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for your excellent comment on your recent conference stay at the Kempinski Hotel Haitang Bay Sanya, and sharing your positive guest experience, which I much appreciate and also passed on to my team.
I hope to have the pleasure to welcoming you again, business or leisure, and being of service to you.
Rüdiger C. Hollweg