“Best vacation ever” 5 of 5 bubbles

Krasnodar, Russia
“Best vacation ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2013

We are here now,
The Hotel is brilliant, service is amazing
pretty expensive food, pretty far from sanya - 80rmb from the city center
prices on rooms are very nice

the Hainan island is like tropic heaven
next time i will definitely will come to Hainan and to this hotel

Best vacation i have ever had

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Pavel270490
Michelle G, Manager at Haitang Bay Gloria Resort Sanya, responded to this review, 22 July 2013
Dear guest, I would like to thank you for having chosen the Haitang Bay Gloria Sanya Hotspring Resort is for your visit to Sanya. I also like to thank you for having taken the time to share your experience on this forum.
I am pleased to learn that, for the most part, you have enjoyed our services and facilities at the Resort.

Thank you also for your comments, as it is only through feedback like this that we are able to continually monitor and improves both our products and quality of services.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you back to our Hotel in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2013 via mobile

We spent 4 nights in this hotel in may 2013. I chose this hotel due to a very high ranks on tripadvisor.
We had an evening flight from Hong Kong and and ordered a hotel car to pick us up from the airport. The driver couldn't say any word in English ... We arrived at the hotel at 22.30 and wanted to go for a dinner but surprisingly all 4 restaurants close at 22.00 so we had use room service.
The room we got was really big about 60 m. The only concern about the room - it didn't have any safe box. I asked at the reception if there is any in the room and I was told there are 2!!! Of them in the room. I went back to the room, but again couldn't find any...:( I didn't want to go back to reception due to some obstacles with hotel stuff with communication in English with hotel guests (you can read a lot about this in reviews about this hotel here). And I should say its true, only a few hotel stuff can frequently communicate in English with guests.
There are 4 restaurants in the hotel, we went to Chinese Tang - overall we enjoyed it, although the prices can be compared to a good European restaurant. It's better to order Chinese dishes there - they have a really good variety of them. For drink we had Chinese wine... Every time we made our order the waiter said "just a moment, I will call my manager"...:)
The pool area is really nice, just a few people at the pool. The beach area was almost empty, I think two of us were the only person who went to the sea. I don't know why, but the lifeguards always put a red flag in the beach, but the sea was really calm... I flew for 10 hours and should swim in the pool...???
The overall experience of the hotel is quite good except the above mentioned, the hotel is really very big, modern, they opened less than a year ago so everything is brand new. While our stay there I felt like a king because there were more hotel stuff than hotel guests. I think the hotel was booked for 10% during our stay. This hotel is a perfect place if you want to have a rest for 3 or 4 days, sleep, swim etc...

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ivan S
Michelle G, Guest Relations Manager at Haitang Bay Gloria Resort Sanya, responded to this review, 4 June 2013
Dear guest,

Shanghai, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2013

We have choosen the resort based on all the Tripadvisor feedback and comments. It was a great experience to have a nice resort direct at the really clean and empty beach which gives the possibility for long lonely walks without any Chinese. The hotel is mainly booked by Chinese which makes the breakfast room crowded and loud, unfortunately the outside sitting area to enjoy the great view over the resort is limited and only used by Western guests. We have been surprised about the Haitang Bay Area which is really quite but it seem this will change soon due to many construction sides. Therefore it is recommended to book a room with garden view and not sea view (sea view can end to construction side view;-). The various restaurants are ok but a little expensive. We specially liked the Japanese restaurant.

The wireless in the rooms was offered but did not work even if the staff was very helpful and gave us support fast but did not work. Only in the lobby area it is quite fast. The fitness room has nice equipment (new) and very useful when it rains.

Overall the hotel is highly recommended specially the guest servcie is amazing. We had several questions before arrival (we recommend to book a pick up car) and received answer within couple minutes. Even so all our recommendation the guest service has taken really seriouse.

We go for sure soon again to have some relaxing days away from Shanghai.

Room Tip: Rooms with garden view are the best choice.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Schrag
Michelle G, Public Relations Manager at Haitang Bay Gloria Resort Sanya, responded to this review, 20 May 2013
Dear Guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for having chosen the Haitang Bay Gloria Sanya for your visit to Sanya.

We take your feedback very serious and will do our utmost to improve the areas you mentioned.

Thank you again for your comments, as it is only through feedback like this that we are able to continually monitor and improve both our products and quality of services.

geneva
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2013

Having chosen this place following the Tripadvisor community, I have discovered (in practice) that the majority of the guests were chinese families or mixed couples. That explains the lack of choice of "western" food in the restaurants which in everyday language translates that kids had to eat the same stuff every day during their stay. Even though the adult part of our family were ready for new gastronomic experiences, the selection of the chinese food was different from what we see in chinese restaurants in Europe and outside China. To be more exact, unappetizing... Except for the overpriced BBQ which is difficult to spoil. All the drinks apart the local beer had to be forgotten for their unacceptable quality and inadequate price (I ventured with white wine).
As for the service, we had to get used to its folclorique and zennish character.Though the stuff had been through the basic english language training, they still lack what we call "communication skills". I have the impression they were scared by us at the beginning, but opened up towards a third day when they saw we were harmless....Sometimes I was asked how I was that wonderful morning without waiting for an answer and running away. This is an exotic part of the hotel reality.
Having put it like this, I can not deny the divine character of the premises, the pools, the beach which was almost private, and the spacious rooms always clean with all luxury amenities. And yes, the hot spring is in your bathroom and it is a reality!
Some practical advice: being swiss citizens, we DID NOT have to go via our local consulate to get our visas. They were nicely arranged upon arrival and it cost peanuts. This should work for all european countries. The hotel stuff were useless and unable to get a clear answer to this simple question. What I managed to get from them was a confirmation of a reservation. So we were in obscurity till the last moment.
And the last but not least : wherever going out without a guide (if you do not speak mandarine) DO TAKE the hotel card with you as no taxi driver is able to utter something in any foreign language (Budun! Translates as "I do not know"). This way I found myself in the middle of the Asia Forum when I just wanted to go shopping.....

Room Tip: Does not really matter. Choose according to your budget.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest, first of all I would like to thank you for having chosen the Haitang Bay Gloria Sanya for your visit to Sanya. I also like to thank you for having taken the time to share your experience on this forum.

Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2013

We recently stayed at Haitang Bay Gloria Sanya for a week over Easter with family (children 5 & 2y.o.). It was our first experience of a holiday in mainland China and we were extremely happy and surprised by the quality of the experience. The resort is quite new (September 2012) and in excellent condition. We chose a Deluxe Sea View room and it was good to its name: spacious, comfortable and well-designed. The configurable design was ideal for small children to bath or sleep with parents nearby but still able to enjoy the room. AC was on hand but unobtrusive.

The main building is strikingly designed, facing onto the bay and well planned to capture the natural sea breezes and obviate the need for air conditioning -- a big plus for the environment and comfort.

The beach was wide, clean and not heavily occupied. The sea was mostly wonderful for swimmingly, altho the life guards were very conservative in preventing guests from swimming when any sort of waves appeared. Some detritus washed up in the water from the ocean later in the week -- hardly the hotel's fault, but the beach staff could have been more active in picking rubbish out of the waves near shore (as several guests were doing).

The swimming pools were large, clean and interesting in design, with river-style connections between all pools. Not all the pool bars were working during this non-peak season. The hot springs area was an incredible feature that we visited most nights. Even the mozzies were bearable!

Breakfast buffet was ample, quality and plentiful, altho things could get a bit patchy after 9.30am. After complaining that no tea was available in the urns for half an hour on our first day, the restaurant duty manager brought us cups of tea each morning for the rest of the week. Impressive!

Restaurant staff were a mixed bag -- some trying very hard, some indifferent. Children's lunches were particularly problematic with service times varying from 10 minutes to over one hour for basic like fish/chicken nuggets.

However, the two in-house restaurants were fantastic. The Cantonese restaurant Tang was superb -- as good as Hong Kong and similar prices. The Japanese tepanyaki restaurant's two-for-one à la carte at buffet prices was a great deal. Service could be a bit hit and miss, but we were saved by lovely Singaporean interns who were able to help us as linguistically challenged guests.

Overall, a fantastic experience and highly recommended for short, peaceful break in Hainan.

Room Tip: Deluxe Sea View was excellent for family
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear guest, I would like to thank you for having chosen the Haitang Bay Gloria Sanya for your visit to Sanya. I also like to thank you for having taken the time to share your experience on this forum.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2013 via mobile

I was here for one of meeting organized by my company. The hotel is amazing, from the high lobby, spacious room, huge meeting room to spectacular sea view. Hotel is new, this is my first time to Haitang Bay, compare to Sanya Bay or Yalong Bay, I find this new Bay are much private, clean even some of the areas are still under construction. However, this hotel have more than enough to keep my 2 nights stay filled with fun and yet relax while I am travel for the meeting. A few surprises are Hot Sping in room, varieties types of hot spring at garden areas, golf driving range and Hugh swimming pools. The conference went off very well, the meals in between are good, after conference is the free and easy time at the hotel. I enjoyed the beach, hot spring, Japanese teppanyaki. Rooms is with all the things you needs, even there are the coffee machine with complimentary cofffee capsule. Staff are friendly and helpfuls. A really a good choice for the relaxing tour.

Stayed March 2013, travelled on business

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2013

I just stayed here for a week recently, I had never been to Sanya or heard of the Gloria chain of hotels before. I have to say that this was one of the most pleasant holidays I have ever had and much of the credit must go the hotel, it was just a great place to stay. The pool was probably the best pool i have ever seen and i've seen come great pools in my time, there were ample places to sit or lie down with a wide variety pools from the huge infinity pool with a view of the ocean to the pools by the rooms and all of them were connected together by a river system it was just very well designed. Then there was the hot springs pool area with different types of hot springs and even one with garru fish in there. It was also relatively quiet when i went in March so you had your choice of almost anywhere to sit by the pool not sure what peak season is like but it was a real bonus to be able to relax wherever you wanted. If your like me and want to spend your resort holiday by the pool then i can't recommend this hotel enough. The breakfast buffet was excellent too with a wide selection from western to continental to chinese, there are not many people that aren't catered for. There's a good selection of restaurants (which are expensive but no more so than any other 5 star resort rmb300 for a seafood buffet) although if i had one complaint it's that they could do with a wider selection of vegetarian food as my girlfriend is vegetarian, although there were vegetarian options and i don't think anywhere else will be much better so don't let that make or break your decision to stay here or not. The free shuttle bus service was excellent and ran like clockwork so if you want to break up your stay with a shopping and exploration trip to sanya city that's easy to do, it's about a 40 mins bus ride, so dont stay here if you want to be walking distance from the city it's a resort place! All in all i'm more than happy with my stay at the Haitang bay Gloria Sanya and would highly recommend it to anyone thinking about a resort holiday in Sanya. I will also look out for the Gloria chain in the future for my holidays if the rest of their hotels match this one.

Room Tip: If you like the pool get the poolside rooms, your room backs directly onto the pool!!!!
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank J0hnS22
Dear guest, thank you for having chosen the Haitang Bay Gloria Sanya for your visit to Sanya, I also like to thank you for having taken the time to share your experience on this forum. I am pleased to learn that you have enjoyed our services and facilities at our Resort.