“average chinese hotel”

Ranked #27 of 1,328 Hotels in Sanya
Plano, Texas
“average chinese hotel”
Reviewed 18 December 2013

nothing special to comment about, hotel is on a huge and chaotic land. outdated rooms, expensive and boring restaurants, breakfast was soso, the pools were crowded with excited travellers from all over china. dont step out of the hotel front door you'll get swamped and lost, it was obviously a different world outside the hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank fredfredster

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 26 December 2012

I stayed 6 nights in this hotel in December 2012. I booked a Super Sea View Suite which cost me more then 5000 RMB. The sea view was good but beware it is a bit angled. The balcony was big but is was slightly angled so it didn't feel very comfortable. The washing machine didn't work properly so I just used the hotel laundry instead, but that made my shirt's sleeves about a centimitere shorter. The breakfast isn't good as the juice isn't fresh(its the one you get at the supermarket). On the first day I had room service because I was really hungry and when I came back at 5PM my plate was still there. I called the staff 3 times but they didn't take my plate away, Only then did I threaten to take further action did they take my plate away. The pool was really big as I stayed in building 2 and the waterslides seemed very fun. The dining options were good as I really liked the Hainan Hut, Coffe Shop and the Noodle House. The worst restraunt was the All Seasons Buffet, they served us LEFTOVERS from yesterday nights Christmas Dinner, WTF!!??? The food in the Buffet sucks as they don't even serve you FREE, FRESH JUICE. The car that was supposed to take me to the airport came late 10 min. The verandah bar only serves you a few cakes unlike the Horizon Club service in Shangri-la. The beach is nice but the water is quite murky and there are lots of shelles in the water so when you walk it is not really comfortable. Next time I will try the Ritz or Mandarin and will not stay here again if possible.

Room Tip: If you insist on staying here take building 2 which is newer.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Proholiday10
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 4 October 2012 via mobile

PRO
- yalong bay is beautiful
- across the street from a mall with restaurants and supermarket
- service staff had a nice attitudes but didn't seem very well organized (we agreed to an upgrade charge but halfway through our stay they said they wouldn't honor the upgrade price anymore so moved us to a lesser room)

CONS
- old hotel that hasn't been updated - remember they tore down the Gloria hotel.
- rooms are on the small side and certainly not very high quality furnishings
- bed is pretty hard
- not all the facilities were functional and some of the pool features either weren't turned on or weren't working
- Restaurants were very average and overpriced. They are trying to charge the same as the big chains next door but the food is mediocre.
- note they have 2 phases on the property. Phase 2 is newer but the difference between mediocre and average isn't that great

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank onemorehotel
Reviewed 2 September 2012

We stayed here for 5 nights in Nov 2011, the setting is lovely and the rooms were big, comfortable and clean. The hotel is vast with several swimming pools, restaurants, a gym, a spa and a decent stretch of private beach. The biggest disappointment were the restaurants, the buffet breakfast was ok with plenty of fresh fruit but the options for lunch and dinner were not great and expensive for what you got. Thankfully along the bay are the Hilton and the Ritz Carlton both with several good restaurants between them - our favourite was the beach restaurant at the RC. Taxis along the bay to these other hotels at night cost less than 1 GBP which offsets a little of the cost for dinner! We were the only Europeans staying at the hotel (which we liked) but worth being aware that everyone else is likely to be either Chinese or Russian. If you do want a more international environment stay at the RC but it comes at a significant extra cost! Opposite the hotel is a small restaurant/shopping complex which is handy for bottled water, snacks, tacky souvenirs etc but the restaurants are nothing to shout about. If we were in Sanya again we would stay here because it is good value but eat at the other hotels for lunch and dinner.

Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 22 May 2012

The main attraction of this hotel is its swimming pools ! There are numerous with different shapes, depths and even have big waterslides.
Our 2 years-old son was very happy !
Moreover, the hotel is very big (we stayed in newly buildt building 2, which is greater than building &1) and you do not see too much other guests.

Another good point is the beach : they have a huge private beach which can be accessed directly from the hotel.

For the drawbacks, the food is clearly the biggest problem.
Even though they have several restaurants (5 or 6) within the hotel, the food is terrible in most of them ... including breakfast ... ok they have western style breakfast but the breads/croissants are overcooked and dry !
We booked their "summer package" which includes (among other things) a dinner for 2 at their sea food BBQ party.
But finally, the only sea food available was simple shrimps and small fishes ...
This is not acceptable for a 5 star hotel !

For the service, the staff is very nice. However, it was not always easy to find someone who speak decent english.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Paris
Reviewed 20 May 2012

Let me state from the outset that I am not a resort person, and that I was visiting the hotel for a business meeting. I spent there two nights, and I must admit I found myself a bit overwhelmed by the size of this place. Huge and, in my view, therefore somewhat soulless. The room was very nice, large and well furnished, and in general well-kept. While the bathtub and shower open toward the room may be sexy for a honeymoon couple I still find the idea (common in China) of also having the toilet open with no door somewhat peculiar, even for the most intimate of couples. The service was excellent, so much as to almost make me feel ill at ease from the pampering. The beach is somewhat nondescript, nice sand, but the water was not limpid. Also, the lifeguards are absolutely obnoxious, corralling anybody with the slightest intention to swim into little holding pens. Personally, it's not a place I would consider for my holidays, but, hey, people looked content...

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank AlfredoLP
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 4 days with my family (2 kids aged 4 and 6), and it was a great experience. The staff at the front desk and in the restaurants speak okay English, so that was a help. The hotel is huge but didn't feel overwhelming because the grounds are also huge, and with three separate swimming pools, beautifully landscaped, it didn't feel crowded. My 6 year old LOVED the two water slides, she and I spent about 60% of our time on them. My much less adventurous 4 year old wouldn't go near them, so she spent most of her time with Dad in the toddler pool. Across the road from the hotel is a good number of restaurants - mostly Chinese but a couple which do Western food. The beach was beautiful, and very private, it felt like there were just hotel guests there. One evening the service in the hotel restaurant was terrible - food arrived very spaced out, or not at all - but that was the only negative thing I can think of. The breakfast was REALLY expensive (not included in our room rate, and it was 150 RMB/person), so we just took a quick trip to the supermarket to pick up some things and then had breakfast in our bedroom on the balcony looking over the gardens and the waterfall.... which wasn't bad either! Judging by the facilities and our experience, this is definitely a hotel for families with younger children. I don't think that older kids and teenagers would find the waterslides very exciting, and there's not much for them in the way of other activities. Most of the kids at the hotel when we were there were young. Of course this is China, so there was the usual lot of guests spitting and getting their kids to pee into the bushes right next to the swimming pool..... but overall, I would really recommend this hotel.

Stayed March 2012, travelled with family