“Great Horizon Hotel Holiday”
Review of Resort Horizon

Resort Horizon
Ranked #29 of 1,350 Hotels in Sanya
Reviewed 26 October 2008

Hi,

I used to spent a great one-week-holiday during august time this year on Hainan in the Horizon Hotel. I just can recommend to all people just not decided yet: vote for this Hotel.

The staff is very friendly, the hotel is directly based at the beach, the beach as well as the hotel area is marvelous clean, the food is quite delicious and the different restaurants offer enough variations for any kind of taste. We used to stay at the Deluxe Sea View Room and that offered just an amazing view on the ocean. The rooms as well as the complete hotel quality did not gave any reason to complain about. It's a shame we could only stay one week :-(. Only one thing would be great to add in future: Offer the hotels guests few persons, who could give them a lift to further famous places on the island and explain something about these places in english. It's for those, who not only want to stay all the time at the beach :-).

All in all: we would not hesitate to come back to this nice place with its nice HORIZON hotel.

Carsten from Germany

• Stayed: August 2008

Reviewed 18 October 2008

We travelled on the inaugural trip from the UK and paid for upgrades on the flight - pity, we could have saved our selves the
£500 as we could have had just as much room without paying the extra £500.
Saying that, the flight was great - ling but great.
As we left the plane, we were greeted by red carpets, banners welcoming us to the island, bands, mayors and dignitories, something I'll never forget.
On arrival at the hotel, again we were met with a red carpet welcome and all the staff lined the carpets to welcome us to the hotel.
The rooms were of a high standard with superb views of the pools and beach. The gardens were superb, some of the best I have seen, and I have seen a few in my time.
The beach was one out of a picture book, with beautiful white sands and blue / green waters, simply fantastic.
The All Inclusive is not what I had come to expect from an AI hotel, but this is the first time they have tried AI in China, and hopefully they have learned lessons since we were there.
Drinks are limited, beers were usually warm with little or no choice if you drink spirits.
We met some fantastic people whoc ertainly were characters, on this holiday, who helped to make this one of the best holidays I have had the pleasure of being on.
DO the trip to Beijing, and as others have said, do not get fobbed of by the reps, you need at least 2 hours on the WALL as this is truly a wonder of the world today. The magnificence of the place was awe inspiring and brought tears to my eyes - I was standing on the Great Wall of China.
All in all, this is a truly magical place to visit, the staff tried their best to please, and we must pay our thanks to Michael from our restaurant, he was simply outstanding.
Our rep - as useful as a chocolate fire guard.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 August 2008

The Horizon has the best pool area on Yalong Bay with several to choose from including a lazy river, waterslides, theraputic pool, etc. I looked at a couple of the other resorts and the Horizon grounds are the largest and in a great location across the street from the Crowne Plaza's restaurant/shopping area. The beach area at the Horizon is large as well with lots of lounge chairs and umbrellas.
We would definitely stay there again.
The only thing that disappointed us in Sanya was the food. The breakfast buffet at the hotel was fine - it's served in several locations and despite what your ticket says you can eat in any of the locations - some are more crowded than others so pick the least crowded. The problem was dinner - we ate in a variety of places - mostly across the street in the Crowne Plaza area - and didn't have a single meal that was good. The Thai place was so-so, the pizza so-so, the chinese awful (almost inedible). We also ate at western restaurants in both the Holiday Inn and the Horizon and were very disappointed. I have never been on a beach vacation with such awful food! Could be our restaurant choices were just unlucky but I definitely suggest researching places ahead of time and being more willing to splurge on nicer places.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank sndaily
Reviewed 19 November 2007

Can I just start by saying that this was the most amazing experience in my life,and if you have just booked and are on your way you dont know how lucky you are!
The hotel is amazing probably the best out of the hotels on Yalong bay,and its all in.
The staff are just the most amazing people you will meet they work so hard to make you feel like royalty.
Can I just say again how jelous I am if your going there!!!

Its just fab go with an open mind dont be afraid to try anything or go anywhere as there is very little crime and is very safe.
The whole experience is amazing the people we met helped make it even more memorable Oi Oi Paul & Hollie,Simon & Alison, Matt and Lori.
The only thig that clouded my memory was the way we were treated by MY Travel (M.T). Before leaving I booked the Hong Kong trip @ a cost of £500 pound for 2 days. When I got there I booked a trip to beijing @ a cost of £700 for three days I have to say that beijing was fab and went smothly but its hard work and long days. but definetly worth goin just to see the great wall of china. (But DO NOT book the trip with my travel)
Then there is hong kong that was great aswell the light show the whole city just excellent BUT,now for the big BUT we booked through M.T and were expecting to be looked after should anything go wrong and it did, our flight was canceled which is not M.T fault but the way we were treated during this debacle was disgusting, we were told we would be put up in a hotel for the night and they would bang on our door when the plane was ready to take us back to hainan island.
The hotel they put us in was disgusting and was a hostel with bars on the windows mossy infested no bar no food, nothing just a slum, they told us that they would get us refreshment and came up with PORRIDGE and WATER now we have paid for all inclusive with M.T and they just washed their hands of us and just left us to sort ourselves out and would not even get us taxis to a bar.
When I asked what would be done they told us, this has got nothing to do with us you booked with southern china they are the ones you should talk to. I hadn't even heard of them before I went out there.
When we finally got back to our hotel I spoke to an english man (BONZO at the Rainbow bar in dadong high) who lived there, he told me it had happened a few times before and they had done nothing then either, but also told me that the trip we had taken would have cost about £40 for the flights and £100 for the hotel so we paid M.T £360 to pick up the phone and ring zing travel, and take no responsability when things went wrong we got £20 compensation and were forced to sign for it or not be allowed back on the plane.
Just look into booking it yourself and save a fortune and look around at your own pace.

The attitude from the rep when we got back to the hotel was disgraceful he just told us we hadn't booked with M.T we had booked with some other company zing travel (They turned out to be an M.T company) so they made alot of money ,we probably could of done the lot for £700 and had the same treatment if things had went wrong.
I will list the photos of where we were stuck when the flight was canceled.

Bu trust me you will love the hotel and sanya!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
11  Thank geordielegend
Reviewed 14 November 2007

We are Americans based in Hong Kong and wanted to do a quick get away to Sanya. After reading online about Horizon, we decided to book there because of the pool. Our young kids love to swim and play in the water.

Most of the major hotels are all in a row on the same beach (except Crown Plaza - which was across the street). One morning I jogged down to check out the other hotels. I have to say the others might have been bit more stylish, but none compared to our pool and beach location. There were large grassy lawns and hammocks everywhere.

The pools are also connected, which was nice when you had to keep an eye on kids. The other hotels had lots of nooks and crannies which is hard to keep track of kids.

Our 6 year twins played in the pools everyday. We wanted to tour around the island, but it took 2 days just to explore the pools. There was current river, rope swing, slides, cave, upper pool with water fall, sea water pool and a large sport pool with sprays.

We had a couple of hard times with English, but could generally find someone who spoke English at each area.

We had lots of school friends stay at other hotels the same weekend (Mid-Autumn break) and they all reported the same language issues.

We found burgers, fries and pizza and the beach, but otherwise the food is more catered for asian tastes. Although, our kids did like the noodle restauarant. But we also found it was easy to try other restaurants in other hotels. Found a great BLT and hot dog at Crowne Plaza walking directly across the street.

I packed snacks thinking the kids might have a hard time with the food, but it was not necessary.

We also learned that it's sort of two hotels in one. We were in the older one, which was fine. It felt like a nice Hawaii resort. I think the new wing is more stylish. The new wing has the spa, which we went to.

The kids club was fine. Not as great as Shangra La in Cebu, but looked at the other hotels and it was as good if not better.

It was great with young kids and I would go back.

Stayed: September 2007
3  Thank hongkongflewie
Reviewed 14 November 2007

We stayed from oct 31 to nov 10 2007. The Hotel is really wonderful and it´s money worth. The employees were very friendly and courteous. Yalong has the best beach on Hainan and the Horizion is direct at the beach. You have hotel service at the beach too...very obliging.
The pools are excellent. The prices do have western standard. But this is typical in Yalong Bay. The only thing we were suprised, is the fact, that there were a lot of russian visitors. Because of that many restaurants are prepared for it. In most restaurants the speak english (for chinese conditions good). If you stay in Yalong Bay you should try the coffee world outside the hotel, it is in the shopping mall over the way. Nice service, good subs and really good english speaking Chinese.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jamaxi
Reviewed 29 October 2007

My husband and I along with our 10 month old, 3 year old and older sister, spent the best 8 days vacationing at this resort!

We are Americans and we found the service to be above average from all other resorts and hotels that we stayed at all over the world, including the U.S., Australia, Italy, Paris, Singapore, Carribean, Mexico, etc.

Every place we stayed I could have picked a few things that wasn't perfect including this place. However, what made the difference here is the time and thoughtfulness they put into this resort to cater to everyone's interest and needs was astounding!

Shelley is one of the Managers and she speaks great English! I would call her and ask about the different type of rooms they have. She gave us a tour and their are so many to choose from. Thanks again Shelley for your time and attention!

The resort is filled with Palm Trees, fruit trees and other magnificent plants! They have hammics nicely placed throughout the resort (some secluded and some out in the open). There are 5 different pools to choose from; one with slides (I saw more adults on them then the children). They have a Seawater pool for those that don't like the ocean, but want to enjoy the seawater for its purification. This pool is broken up into two sections, one that has sand at the bottom like the ocean for the children and the other part has smooth large rocks for the adults with a mini-waterfall.

They have more than enough lounge chairs with cusions all around the pools and beach. The beach is private so it never got too crowded. You can have great hamburgers and fries, freshly made fruit drinks and other drinks on the beach from the Beach Bar.

They have 8 different restaurants. They also make a great steak!! The food was delicious! The breakfast is delicious and bountiful! I insisted on having a Suite with a kitchen because I assumed that I would have to cook for my small children; I was wrong! They had so much food and many things that both my children enjoyed I never cooked once! The kitchen was only used to keep bottled water and hold all the Mangos we kept buying from the supermarket!

I heard the frogs and saw very little of them, we were all enjoying the scenic setting of the open restaurant with the beautiful lawn and backdrop of the aqua blue ocean!

I was quoted RMB300 for a massage, but decided to do the Massage Pool first. After experiencing that pool I didn't need a massage. That pool is one of a kind!

The Kids Club was the best I have ever seen. It opens early and closes late. It is a house on the grounds that is filled with so much enjoyment for the children! They even have a section for the adults with computer terminals w/Internet, a breastfeeding room, computer terminals for the older children, a reading section (I read the Cat In The Hat, my son's favorite), indoor playground and Arts & Craft section. The best part of it, it's was extremely clean! My youngest crawled around for more than 2 hours while my oldest ran around with the other children. They even have babysitting service inside the Club.

Our room was very clean and large. We had the Superior Seaview Suite. Every room in the resort has a computer w/free Internet.

I love the Traditional Chinese music they played in the Lounge. It was soothing and romantic.

We all had so much fun, it took us 5 days before we decided to see what was beyond the resort!

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled with family