“Good Resort”
Review of Resort Horizon

Resort Horizon
Ranked #30 of 1,350 Hotels in Sanya
Reviewed 31 December 2008

Stayed for a week at the Horizon. Me wife and I, plus kids aged 5 and 2. The resort is well done. Clean. nice grounds with lots of little areas to discover. Beach was clean. All the resorts in this part of town can be a bit boring if you are looking for nightlife or singles scene, but if you are looking for a place to hang out with the kids it is nice. They have a kids club, though we didn't use it much -- the areas outside had plenty to keep the kids busy. The pools had a number of shallow areas so that the kids could safely be in the water.

We booked our tour through a website called sunnysanya. The lady there took care of all the logistics so it made things easy.

I have seen mixed reviews on food. We ate at the Sichuan place and that was good -- prices were reasonable and food was as good as can be expected at a resort. Breakfast was good, though not spectacular.

The only strange thing was that the resort seemed a bit deserted. Not necessarily bad, since it meant we could always get a chair on the beach or pool, but just seemed strange (and bit spooky on first day). I think it is because of the financial crisis -- a lot of the tourists seem to be from Russia and we heard that they had stopped coming because of their currency devaluation.

Only reason for not giving it 5 stars is that Sanya itself lacks the kind of wow factor that you would see in Thailand. But if Sanya is your destination, would recommend (especially with kids).

• Stayed: November 2008
1  Thank 97rockyg

Reviewed 7 December 2008

I chose this hotel/resort because I was attending a meeting there. I would recommend this as a business meeting venue because the facilities are excellent. The resort itself is well situated on the beach with watersports etc. Food, service, bars in the hotel are very good. The rooms are well fitted out and comfortable. The staff are exceedingly pleasant and many speak very good English.
The location is in a "tourist zone" about 40 minutes by taxi east of the airport (expect to pay RMB150). In the special tourist zone there is very little except tourist hotels - don't expect to see a lot of the "real China". On the other hand, this means that the area is very clean, quiet at night and seems very safe (I walked at night frequently and was only once bothered by anyone selling anything, and then only politely). The hotel seemed to be popular with mostly Chinese, Japanese and Russian tourists.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank ChrisfromPerth
Reviewed 11 November 2008

My family (2 adults, 2 kids aged 4 and 5) stayed for 5 days at the Resort Horizon in October 2008. Its a beautiful piece of property and is especially fun for the family, although anyone would enjoy being there as you can be as active or as inactive as you like.

The grounds and the gardens are extensive and beautiful landscaped. Its very soothing to the eye and adds to the tranquil and relaxing atmosphere of the place. The pools are also something special - about 4 of them, although some might say 6 depending whether you count the kids pool section as another pool. There is the lagoon pool, the infinity pool on the upper deck of the waterpark, the lower pool in the water park that comes with some 4 adult slides and a kids slide as well as the saltwater pool. Each pool has a kids section and an adult section. The kids section of the saltwater pool a man-made beach and the bottom is filled with sand. There is also a lazy river and water caves. All the pools are beautifully landscaped. The best in my opinion is the lower pool in the water park and adjoining lazy river as they are canopied by low hanging trees makes it very pretty and also provides much needed shade.

On top of all this the resort is on the best beach in China, Yalong Bay, with its golden yellow sand, very fine, and turquoise water. You can't ask for a better location.

The rooms are closer to 4 star and lack the luxury of some of the international brand hotels but this was of no concern to us. Two great things about the rooms are: free internet with a computer provided and about 50 channels on the TV, including lots of English channels.

This hotel is especially great if you have kids as they have a great time in the pools and also going down the slides. If your kids are young there is a kids slide in the lower pool in the waterpark. I could not get my kids to get out of this pool. They also have a special house that serves as a kids club, which has video games for the kids. We wasted alot of time in the kids club as my son would not leave as he was addicted to one of the video games.

Only two things detract from the experience at the resort. One, the food was very expensive compared to what we're used to in Hong Kong. The strength of the yuan makes it even more expensive and there is a 15% surcharge on top of everything. I suppose there's a price to be paid in paradise. Secondly the resort is huge so there are lots of people and it has a bit of a corporate feel to it. It lacks some of the cosiness and intimacy of smaller resorts. Nonetheless, if we had the chance, we would jump at the opportunity to go there again for fun and relaxation.

Overall, a fantastic place.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank rabbitloverHk
Reviewed 26 October 2008

Hi,

I used to spent a great one-week-holiday during august time this year on Hainan in the Horizon Hotel. I just can recommend to all people just not decided yet: vote for this Hotel.

The staff is very friendly, the hotel is directly based at the beach, the beach as well as the hotel area is marvelous clean, the food is quite delicious and the different restaurants offer enough variations for any kind of taste. We used to stay at the Deluxe Sea View Room and that offered just an amazing view on the ocean. The rooms as well as the complete hotel quality did not gave any reason to complain about. It's a shame we could only stay one week :-(. Only one thing would be great to add in future: Offer the hotels guests few persons, who could give them a lift to further famous places on the island and explain something about these places in english. It's for those, who not only want to stay all the time at the beach :-).

All in all: we would not hesitate to come back to this nice place with its nice HORIZON hotel.

Carsten from Germany

• Stayed: August 2008
Reviewed 18 October 2008

We travelled on the inaugural trip from the UK and paid for upgrades on the flight - pity, we could have saved our selves the
£500 as we could have had just as much room without paying the extra £500.
Saying that, the flight was great - ling but great.
As we left the plane, we were greeted by red carpets, banners welcoming us to the island, bands, mayors and dignitories, something I'll never forget.
On arrival at the hotel, again we were met with a red carpet welcome and all the staff lined the carpets to welcome us to the hotel.
The rooms were of a high standard with superb views of the pools and beach. The gardens were superb, some of the best I have seen, and I have seen a few in my time.
The beach was one out of a picture book, with beautiful white sands and blue / green waters, simply fantastic.
The All Inclusive is not what I had come to expect from an AI hotel, but this is the first time they have tried AI in China, and hopefully they have learned lessons since we were there.
Drinks are limited, beers were usually warm with little or no choice if you drink spirits.
We met some fantastic people whoc ertainly were characters, on this holiday, who helped to make this one of the best holidays I have had the pleasure of being on.
DO the trip to Beijing, and as others have said, do not get fobbed of by the reps, you need at least 2 hours on the WALL as this is truly a wonder of the world today. The magnificence of the place was awe inspiring and brought tears to my eyes - I was standing on the Great Wall of China.
All in all, this is a truly magical place to visit, the staff tried their best to please, and we must pay our thanks to Michael from our restaurant, he was simply outstanding.
Our rep - as useful as a chocolate fire guard.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 August 2008

The Horizon has the best pool area on Yalong Bay with several to choose from including a lazy river, waterslides, theraputic pool, etc. I looked at a couple of the other resorts and the Horizon grounds are the largest and in a great location across the street from the Crowne Plaza's restaurant/shopping area. The beach area at the Horizon is large as well with lots of lounge chairs and umbrellas.
We would definitely stay there again.
The only thing that disappointed us in Sanya was the food. The breakfast buffet at the hotel was fine - it's served in several locations and despite what your ticket says you can eat in any of the locations - some are more crowded than others so pick the least crowded. The problem was dinner - we ate in a variety of places - mostly across the street in the Crowne Plaza area - and didn't have a single meal that was good. The Thai place was so-so, the pizza so-so, the chinese awful (almost inedible). We also ate at western restaurants in both the Holiday Inn and the Horizon and were very disappointed. I have never been on a beach vacation with such awful food! Could be our restaurant choices were just unlucky but I definitely suggest researching places ahead of time and being more willing to splurge on nicer places.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank sndaily
Reviewed 19 November 2007

Can I just start by saying that this was the most amazing experience in my life,and if you have just booked and are on your way you dont know how lucky you are!
The hotel is amazing probably the best out of the hotels on Yalong bay,and its all in.
The staff are just the most amazing people you will meet they work so hard to make you feel like royalty.
Can I just say again how jelous I am if your going there!!!

Its just fab go with an open mind dont be afraid to try anything or go anywhere as there is very little crime and is very safe.
The whole experience is amazing the people we met helped make it even more memorable Oi Oi Paul & Hollie,Simon & Alison, Matt and Lori.
The only thig that clouded my memory was the way we were treated by MY Travel (M.T). Before leaving I booked the Hong Kong trip @ a cost of £500 pound for 2 days. When I got there I booked a trip to beijing @ a cost of £700 for three days I have to say that beijing was fab and went smothly but its hard work and long days. but definetly worth goin just to see the great wall of china. (But DO NOT book the trip with my travel)
Then there is hong kong that was great aswell the light show the whole city just excellent BUT,now for the big BUT we booked through M.T and were expecting to be looked after should anything go wrong and it did, our flight was canceled which is not M.T fault but the way we were treated during this debacle was disgusting, we were told we would be put up in a hotel for the night and they would bang on our door when the plane was ready to take us back to hainan island.
The hotel they put us in was disgusting and was a hostel with bars on the windows mossy infested no bar no food, nothing just a slum, they told us that they would get us refreshment and came up with PORRIDGE and WATER now we have paid for all inclusive with M.T and they just washed their hands of us and just left us to sort ourselves out and would not even get us taxis to a bar.
When I asked what would be done they told us, this has got nothing to do with us you booked with southern china they are the ones you should talk to. I hadn't even heard of them before I went out there.
When we finally got back to our hotel I spoke to an english man (BONZO at the Rainbow bar in dadong high) who lived there, he told me it had happened a few times before and they had done nothing then either, but also told me that the trip we had taken would have cost about £40 for the flights and £100 for the hotel so we paid M.T £360 to pick up the phone and ring zing travel, and take no responsability when things went wrong we got £20 compensation and were forced to sign for it or not be allowed back on the plane.
Just look into booking it yourself and save a fortune and look around at your own pace.

The attitude from the rep when we got back to the hotel was disgraceful he just told us we hadn't booked with M.T we had booked with some other company zing travel (They turned out to be an M.T company) so they made alot of money ,we probably could of done the lot for £700 and had the same treatment if things had went wrong.
I will list the photos of where we were stuck when the flight was canceled.

Bu trust me you will love the hotel and sanya!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple