“Not what it used to be” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Landscape Beach Hotel Sanya

Landscape Beach Hotel Sanya
Ranked #309 of 1,326 Hotels in Sanya
Pretoria, South Africa
“Not what it used to be”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

This hotel used to be a great stay and great value for money. However, I would not recommend this hotel at all. The rooms and hotel in general needs upgrading. Also where it used to be busy and close to restaurants its location is now desolate. All restaurants around it has closed and it is pretty much deserted. The spa is practically non existent. Visiting the pool was also an awful experience. Locals practice the awful habit of spitting in and around the pool. Rather choose someplace else.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank lizel123

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Jakarta, Indonesia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2012

I requested sunnysanya travel agent to arrange 6 rooms with twin beds at this hotel (the current name is Sanya Liking Resort) for a party of 12 people, 5 of whom were senior of 60 to 70 years old. After touring the area, we checked in the hotel after dinner. It took a long time to process the check in, we were all tired and full of sweat (it's really hot and humid), but we didn't make the inefficient process a big deal.

Then we're given the rooms that were not in the main hotel building and there's no elevator. 1 room on 1st floor, 4 rooms on 2nd fl, and 1 room on 3rd fl. I told the receptionist that I wouldn't mind that as long as they would get their bellboy to take our luggage to each of the room on 2nd and 3rd floor. Otherwise we would rather take the rooms in the main building even if that means we had to get double beds instead of twins. He called a bellboy who would do the job.

The representative of sunnysanya then left the hotel, since everything had been settled. As soon as she left, we left the reception desk to the side of the lobby where our luggage was. The bellboy (whose name was Deng Yi Fei - according to the receptionist when I asked him later on) told us firmly that since we had a lot of luggage (of course, we're 12 people - 6 rooms for god sake) he would only bring the luggage of the seniors, but the younger ones must drag their own luggage (we're all female) to the rooms. Of course the seniors would be put on the lower floors, since they could not really climbed the stairs to the upper floors. The bellboy argued with us that he's the only bellboy available and insisted on only assisting the seniors even when we said that's not the deal we had agreed upon before the agency's representative left.

Then I went back to the receptionist, telling him what's happening but he had no clue on how to handle it. All this time we'd been communicating in Mandarin. Then I raised my voice and asked them if they could speak English and let me talk to the hotel manager. The bellboy rushed to the reception desk and claimed a totally different story, that he had just asked us to tell him the room numbers for each piece of the luggage. Another bellboy (hospitable and helpful, who seemed to be the only one there who spoke English) came in and then assisted us. We are overseas Chinese, everybody spoke fair to excellent Mandarin (although some are literate some are not), so they cannot defend themselves by claiming that it may have been a language barrier problem.

Yes, we ultimately got our luggage taken to our rooms. But it took ages and a lot of energy to get this done. I planned to check the surrounding area after checking in. But after spending about one hour for checking in and arguing with the staff, it's then too late and I had lost the energy to do so.

Rooms are clean and fine, but I will never, never, never recommend this hotel to anyone. The management needs to improve their control system over the performance of the staff because bad service spoils traveler's holiday.

Breakfast is okay, coffee was cold (surprising for Hainan, a place in China where people have been drinking coffee for a long time) and when I told them about it, they made me a hot cup of instant coffee. Appreciate the gesture though.

Lesson learned: Even if you speak Chinese, raise your voice and speak English if you're in this situation. Even though they don't really understand it, it works. Maybe they're worried the international / western tourists hanging out at the lobby will hear your complaints.

PS: I don't know whether the name of the bad bellboy is true. This is what I got from inquiring the receptionist.

Room Tip: I guess it's better not to choose any room in this hotel.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2012

I would recommend this hotel for someone who is looking for good value and not necessairly luxury. The room we stayed in was a garden view room. The room was average size. The bathroom had a shower, but no bathtub. The bed was terrible. We thought we were sleeping on just the boxspring! At the end of the 6 nights I was looking forward to leaving simply so I could get a good nights sleep somewhere. It felt like I was sleeping on the floor it was that hard. So if you decide to stay there, be sure to book a deluxe ocean view room, they are much bigger and we joked that perhaps that was where the actual matresses were!

It does have a private beach, but the water area directly in front is all rocky (large rocks you have to climb over - you cannot swim there) so you will have to leave your belongings and walk down the beach about 100 yards if you want to swim without rocks or excess seaweed. Overall it was OK and the staff tried their best to keep the beach area clean. It took us about 10 - 15 minutes to slowly want to town along the boardwalk (nice walk and mostly shaded).

If I was to go back again, I would most likely choose another hotel closer to the middle section of the beach, were it would be closer to town and a much better section of the beach. The hotel that seemed to have the best overall location was the Intime Resort. I cannot comment on the hotel itself but location wise, it would be my choice it I were to go back

Room Tip: Be sure to book the Deluxe Ocean View Rooms. Bigger rooms, wicked view and better beds.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank yvrcp
Stockholm, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2011

The hotel is located just by the beach, and with basically only the pool area and a beachside boardwalk to separate the hotel from the sand (40 m). We went there in mid October and the dadonghai area was less crowded that I had anticipated, maybe because of the season.

Fun fact: The hotel signs does not say landscape beach hotel but "Sanya Liking Resort" which, I guess you can imagine was abit surprising. (C-trip only mentioned Landscape Beach Hotel) The concierge did not recognize the name either, even though, when we got our rooms, we noticed that it does say Landscape Beach hotel on every towel and slipper.

+ The rooms were really big
+ It seemed to be mainly couples and older people (Russian and Chinese) staying at the hotel (+ from our point of view)
+ Clean and nicely furnished
+ Breakfast was a big buffe, it mainly had what you should expect.
+ Nice pool
+The hotel had beach chairs that were only for the hotel (I think) and they were never occupied.
+ beachview room had amazing view!
+ Pool bar with very good prices.

- They had som construction work going on between the beach and the hotel, which resulted in alot of sound in the beachview room, while the other (gardenview room) was very nice and quiet. Chinese people never stop working.......
- The chinese restaurant was expensive and the service was probably the worst I've encountered in china. not rude bad but just ignorant bad. The food was good though.
- The walls between the balconies were abit low.
- The Dadonghai area is probably a great place for Russians, but I'm Swedish so I was abit sad to see that many of the signs were in Russian instead of Chinese.

In general, this hotel was very good and if you don't mind karaoke shouting Chinese people in the area, as well as a minor feeling of being in Russia. You should definately stay there, it was well worth its price!!

Room Tip: Rooms with garden view are abit quieter, but the ocean view is stunning.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Hampus H
Moscow
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2011

+ beachfront location, nice views
+ deluxe sea view rooms are really large, with huge bathroom and nice balcony (looks like they are renovated or being renovated)

- standard rooms are awfully old and cramped, no view or anything else positive
- Dadonghai beach and area itself is a hell of a place - crowded, dirty, beggars on the street, russians everywhere. Lots of hotels and buildings, and the only major thing is a short distance to Sanya (which turned out to be a little less horrible place). Restaurants and bars are crowded, noisy and smelly. Food is mediocre at best, if not say worse.
Book ANY hotel at Yalong Bay or Banyan Tree which is halfway to Sanya, but an oasis of quiet and peace in the middle of this madness.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2010

The hotel is right on the beach but you cant swim there,there is a lot of stones in the water so you'll have to walk a bit further and leave your things on the sand,cos there already no beach-chairs for landscape hotel's guests. The pool side is nice. Breakfast is ok. Staff was to slow for a 4star hotel! We put out card "please clean the room" and after 5hours noone came to clean it,so we had to call for house keepng. It happened twice and the room wasn't cleaned well. I mean it's not such big a deal but when you pay around 1000rmb per day to stay there you expect at least the room to be perfect.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CKathrine
Hamburg, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2010

great location, close to beach and restaurants, mixed crowd and great variety of foods, do take trips to different beaches and islands, great nature and exotical sights, hotel with bright nice rooms, great in the summer, sanya is a great place for vacations if you want to stay near to mainland China, very recommandable, prizes are okay...

Stayed April 2009, travelled with family