“A fantastic place to stay at the Yalong BAY”

Cactus Resort Sanya by Gloria
Ranked #41 of 1,373 Hotels in Sanya
Reviewed 29 August 2009

A very nice family hotel. Our room is overlooking the fantastic mountain and the pool. .I love the view from our balcony; First class service, all the staff was excellent and breakfast was good with a large selection. Location just ok as it was a bit far from the citycentre, but taxi is cheap. Huge swimming pool, pity it's only at 1m20 deep. We have experienced the kissing fish massage , amazing, the little fish just nibble the dead skins of your body. 10mns walk from the beach or you can also take a shuttle which was provided by the resort. Pity pool towels are not provided, you have to use the hotel towels or wrap yourself with the bath robes, like the guests used to do. Restaurants are fine, except for the patisseries at the buffet which are tasteless.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank Brunch4two
Write a ReviewReviews (1,491)

Reviewed 9 March 2009

We were nervous about booking this hotel/resort when we read the few meager reviews about it, but were very pleasantly surprised when we arrived there. We were 2 families of 4, so we booked 4 rooms in total (each with 2 twin beds) and got breakfast included. I would highly recommend the breakfast package, as you will otherwise pay quite high prices for food at the resort. Also, some had complained that the beach was "too far" from the hotel, which made me laugh when I actually got there. Although the hotel may not be directly ON the beach, they have frequent golf carts that ship you to the street that you just have to cross to get to the sand. It's so easy, even my grandmother could walk it.

The pros:
-Very nice, clean rooms with fully stocked bathrooms, cable tv, AC and views from balcony
-Helpful staff
-Lovely pool
-Very close to the beach (though not directly on it)
-Huge breakfast buffet with both Western & local Chinese foods
-Free bottled water each day
-only 6 yuan per person to be picked up and taken in a bus to other bays & downtown

Cons:
-Food & drinks at the hotel were expensive
-Check-in took some time, as many large tour groups rush to check in
-Nothing other than the beach to see or do around the hotel, but you can take a bus to downtown or other beaches/bays

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
4  Thank farnazimani
Reviewed 3 February 2009

Due to short time to choose a destination for CNY the only offer I received from C-Trip was for this resort in Sanya. As I knew roughly the area (I have been at Crowne Plaza and Aegean before) I accepted the offer as I did not wanted to stay at home with my wife during all the holiday. The personal hardly could speak English, the pool is very large but it is rather boring. The room (Mountain view was my room) is clean but the view is more on the back alley. The service I will let everybody decide how good was pending on my to requests: change room from mountain view to pool view I was requested to pay 600RMB/day additionally; I have asked for late check-out and I was requested to pay 150rmb/hour (!!!). Hotel position is retreated so you need also to consider this, going to the beach is 10-15min walk or a little less if you use their electric cars for transport to the (near) beach area.
Personally I do not plan to go there again.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SorinMihaescu
Reviewed 7 January 2009

I stayed in this hotel in January 2009. Overall this hotel gives you good value for money considering the options. I paid 635 RMB per night for the least expensive type of room including breakfast (4 day package - same price applies for two guests). It is situated in Yalong Bay about a 10 minute walk from the beach (probably the main reason that it is cheaper). It is a large resort with 600 rooms (according to its website). The design supposedly takes inspiration from Mayan architecture, slightly odd I have to say.

The hotel caters mainly to Russian guests (lots of families), 80 percent of the guests were Russian or Russian-speaking during my stay and all written information tends to be in Russian as well as in English and Chinese. It may well be that this period has a higher proportion of Russian guests due to the holidays surrounding the Russian Christmas celebrated on 6 January.

Before I go any further I would like to add something general about Hainan and Yalong Bay in particular. I find it overpriced when considering other tropical beach destinations in Southeast Asia. Bali, which I have visited twice in recent years, is far superior in many respects. Better value for your money, more friendly atmosphere, better night-life, better restaurants, more points of interests, better shopping, better in terms of service-mindedness etc. The Chinese tourism industry still has some way to go before it will be on par with countries in southeast Asia. I would only recommend Hainan if you are a resident in China (domestic flights can be cheap).

Pros

*The most pleasant surprise was the room, which was very clean, almost spotless. It really was at least one class better than the rest of the hotel-facilities. The TV in the room had some international channels including BBC-World, TV5, DW, NHK, a movie channel etc. Free internet connection in each room and free wifi in the hotel lobby.

*The resort area is clean and accessible, it has two large pools, of which one seems to be for children (0.9 metres deep).

*Although their English is limited the staff were helpful. Their IT-administrator even helped me to remove viruses from my laptop -free of charge!

*The price - good value for money considering the options. I booked a four day package for two on ctrip.com which included breakfast. The rate with this package was 637 per night which is good considering the other options in Yalong Bay. I checked prices in other hotels nearby. Prices ranged from 800 to 3000 RMB for a single room (the most expensive being the five star resorts along the beach).

*Late night room-service and a store that stays open until 1 a.m.

Cons:

*If you are looking for a luxurious resort with all the amenities that go with it, this is not the place for you. The reason I raise this is because the website slightly oversells the resort.

*As you might know in China they have a different level of tolerance to sound. The music blasting out of the loudspeakers around the pool area in mornings and at times, in the early evenings, is annoying, at least to a Westerner like myself who is looking for some calm and quiet.

*Ridiculously expensive pool-bar. A simple Nestle ice-cream that might cost 2 RMB in a grocery store was offered for 38 RMB.

*Poor level of English It really helps if you have a basic knowledge of putonghua/mandarin.

*The food is bland.

I hope this review is helpful to you.

• Stayed: January 2009
Reviewed 8 December 2008

The rooms (Mountain View ) are well appointed.. Excellent rooms, pool area..Should say 4- star standard ...As good as Shang rila rooms...
Nice large garden and pool.. Considering Y500-600 in Yalong Bay, it's worth it !
Not near beach (About 10-15 min walk) with no views of beach at all near the hotel. But their transport provided (Very efficient ones)
But there's a problem staying in Yalong Bay. If you do not want to eat in the hotels...Meals way too expensive... Buffet breakfast Y100 / person and Buffet dinner (BBQ) Y148 / person. Set meals about Y168 ++ too..
You need to take a 20 min cab (Y50) to Sanya town or catch a Y15 40 min bus trip (every 20 mins intervals) there.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 May 2008

We stayed at the resort in April 2008 and thoroughly enjoyed all it had to offer. The staff were welcoming but their english very basic at best. We enjoyed the outdoor BBQ area and the beach was only a five minute walk away and was perfect, with white sand, crystal clear sea and palm trees that seemed to go on forever!

One night we took a trip to Sanya Bay where we found a row of restaurants right along the beach front. We'd highly recomment the Lanna Thai & Loft Bar on Sanya Bay Road.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank swrk501
Reviewed 24 January 2008

This was my first time in Sanya and I stayed in this hotel for 4 nights because of a company event. The room and the bathroom was very nice and clean, there's internet inside the rooms. I had a room with a little balcony towards the swimming pool.

Price wise - relatively expensive. Not for the budget travelers. Our company booked ~100rooms and the rate was still ~ RMB600 per room. But Sanya is for relaxing and joining yourself so it's ok to spoil yourself a little.

The beach can easily be reached on foot; the hotel provides free transport service (with those little golf carts) from the hotel to the edge of the property, then you need to walk a little bit, cross the street to get to the beach. If the cart is not leaving right away, personally, I'd rather walk than wait.

The beach is pretty nice, not crowded and not yet deserted so it's just right. One down side: there was a navy battleship out there and it made me feel uncomfortable that there could be people watching me.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled on business