“Good and Bad- Good points are better overall”

Holiday Inn Resort Sanya Bay
Ranked #43 of 1,350 Hotels in Sanya
Reviewed 17 March 2011

After reading the recent reviews, I was unsure of what to expect.
My findings.....good experience overall.
The taxi driver at airport attempted to ask for flat rate that was triple the actual meter, and I had to ask him to reset the meter which was running when I entered the taxi.
I wonder why the hotel does not offer shuttle service as it is quite a fast drive?
Location is near the airport and "mountain view" is unfair in my opinion, as the biggest view is the construction site and then the airport.
Plane noise was a problem on this site of building.
On the plus side the ocean and pool view is really great and there is virtually no plane noise. Due to my poor planning I had rooms on each side at different days.
Staff at check in was nice and cordial when my room was not ready due to my early arrival time.
My upgraded room was very nice size and well done design and function. Great bathroom and flat screen TV with plenty of channels in Chinese, English and Russian. Internet (wired) is included and this always makes my stay more satisfactory. I was impressed with offer to supply long cord to reach bed or balcony.
Pool area and beach are quite nice. Plenty of lounge chairs. I really enjoyed the pool and beach of this hotel.
As noted by others, the beach is directly across a public road. I think this is ok as it takes only about 2 minutes to get to the sand.
There is a hotel Beach Bar there, but only open from 4PM, and it did not seem to really open then most days.
I tried room service. The hard part was ordering by phone as the staff struggled with my order and questions. They staff tried 3-4 people before we had any success. My burger and fruit plate took 55 minutes. Faster to go to McDonald's I think.
Another time, they forgot to ask me my room number , so I had to call them back so they could deliver the food. But they were very nice when they brought food to room.
Housekeeping staff were efficient and friendly and possibly spoke better English than the room service people on the phone.
The hotel offers limited schedule free shuttle to other places in Sanya, which is good as this location while self contained has little to do around it.
Check out was typically slow as it often is in China.
I ended up missing my flight because the hotel was unable to get a taxi to come to the hotel. Apparently this is a common problem. The drivers do not seem to like this short trip.

Pros:
Great pool and beach area.
Mostly nice staff.
Room was comfortable and updated
Internet included!
Decent space for meetings if you have business.
Cons:
Construction noise from lobby was heard on all floors during the day at times
General upkeep was showing signs of wear. Bathroom silicone, cracks in wall in my room and noticeable water damage in lobby ceiling. but honestly, this is easy fixes. I had to move the couch in both my rooms and was disappointed at the condition of the wall behind the couch (room 435 and 414)
Notice in room to keep balcony doors closed for mosquitos. Screens would solve this and make the room very comfortable.
Room noise on "mountain view" side from traffic and airport.
Lack of hotel shuttle for airport and difficult taxi conditions.

Summary - I would stay here again. I loved the outdoor aspects of the hotel. I would plan better to ensure solution for airport too.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo

Reviewed 16 February 2011

The room wasn't prepared as I requested one month ahead during the hotel booking. I request a king size bed and a baby crib… nothing special. And the other thing I hate that the hotel was not so honest about the room view. It was not a mountain view it was an Airport view and it was too noisy because of the Airplanes take off and landing.But the room was spacious and clean.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank bassam7077
Reviewed 30 January 2011

Sanya Bay is a short taxi ride from the airport and the hotel has a wonderful pool and good beach. I was upgraded to an enormous two room, two bathroom, 2 TV suite- must be the largest I ever stayed in. I liked the food in the Chinese restaurant, but dinner in the Cafe Marina in the evening was a bit depressing- largely because off-season in January it was a vast deserted space. For a change of scenery one evening I ate out- at Casa Mia- which is quite a long taxi ride away. The hotel beach bar was equally deserted, but the lads there gamely barbecued me some tasty skewers. The fish massage pool (little fish eat the dead skin off your feet) is good. The massages at Tea Tree Spa are excellent; it has a quiet relaxing ambience.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 January 2011

I picked this hotel because of the Holiday Inn brand name. There are really only two reasons I rate this hotel as average. 1) The hotel is basically in the middle of nowhere. Their are other hotels around and a few streets nearby where, if you like seafood, you have many choices. There are also some shops where you can get a few snacks, but for everything else like shopping or nightlife, at least a 30rmb taxi ride-which is not bad if you are only going once or twice, but if you are like me, and want to be out and about, that gets a bit expensive. Plus, you have to negotiate that price as, seemingly, all of the taxi meters are "broken" In all actuality, if they ran by the meter, the ride is right at 25 rmb from the hotel to the Walking Street. I negotiated a fare and noticed the meter running, so I took note of the amount, and when I arrived at the hotel did the math and discovered the 25rmb price. I did not bother to argue with the cab driver. But, if you can, and you know the way to where you want to go, try to get the driver to run the meter

2) The hotel refused to take my debit card for the deposit, which was very inconvenient. The debit card was from Communications Bank and had the Union Pay logo, which is accepted nearly everywhere in China. By refusing to take my card, this meant that I had to pay for everything as I went. (which probably saved me money in the long run). Funny thing is, they gladly accepted my debit card upon check in to pay for my room for the week.

Overall, the hotel is very clean, although, the shower stall could use a bit more attention as a bit of mildew was beginning to build up in the corners. The staff was very attentive, and accommodating. I would also recommend the bicycle rental as a way of getting out and exploring the city.

The pool and the beaches are very clean and beautiful. In fact, the beach all along the Sanya coastline was very beautiful and picturesque. I was sick the last 3 days there so I did not get an opportunity to try some of the beachfront activities like the jet ski or banana boat ride, or trips to the various islands.

So, if you like to be away from the hustle and bustle, this hotel would be a good place to stay and a good value for the money. But, if you want to be nearer to the action, pick a place closer to the city center.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 January 2011

Hotel OK. Walking about Sanya I saw a notice in a bar advertising a game of beach cricket on the next saturday. I went , it was on the beach in Sanya Bay near the Casa Mia restaurant. Great bunch of mad expats who made me welcome and I had a great day out , loads of fun. They play once a month so if you fancy a laugh go along. Look out for notices in the local bars.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 December 2010

I stayed at the Holiday Inn with several friends recently. A few comments below:

1. It took us 2 hours to check-in as the room was not ready (yet the issue was that we were repeatedly told by the check-in desk that it would be ready in 30 mins, 15 mins, etc.). This wasted 2 hours of time that we could otherwise have spent elsewhere (if we had been given an accurate perception).

2. The manager, in seeing our grievances, offered us a complimentary fruit basket. Great, but it did not appear for 2 days, only after we asked THREE times did it finally appear (and a paltry fruit basket it was). We were annoyed on a matter of principle - is this how guests should be treated?

3. Beware of recommendations by the "concierge" (there isn't really an official concierage, though, more like a concierage/cab-caller). I think they may receive commission or something, because we were given several recommendations that did not pan out at all/information that was actually erroneous. Seek other sources of info!

4. Mountainview really was a little noisy in the morning from traffic. It was okay for us beause we were pretty exhausted.

5. Overall, despite all the above, it was good value for our money and a decent location, beach, breakfast. Would I stay again? Not sure, but I don't regret it.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank kbun
Reviewed 18 September 2010

We arrived at this hotel late at night, and after a hectic week of sightseeing, was looking forward to the relaxation. We had booked a deluxe mountai view, something I had been so looking forward to, as this to me conjured peace, quite and seclusion. Our rep, then checking us in said "oh these room are noisy, there's a main road directly outside". At this my heart sank. He wasn't wrong. Not only is there a main road, but also a field, followed by the airpoirt - and the mountains in the distance! The windows are only single glazed, so yes - the room was noisy. I would advise booking a sea view. After getting over this disapointment though, I cannot fault the hotel. The rooms are lovely and clean, the public areas bright and welcoming, and the pool area is fantastic! Small windy paths through grassed areas, and secluded bathing areas. You have to try the Garra Ruffa fish - do it later in the day, or when it's overcast, as the water gets pretty warm! The beach and beach bar are across a not too busy road, with hammocks to relax in. I wasn't overly impressed with Sanya town, and signs in hotel warned of pickpockets, but we didn't have any trouble, so it's worth a look around. All of the hotel staff are friendly, although a few of them shied away from us, as I think their english wasn't too good. The only other downside was the hard mattresses - but we found this everywhere in China.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple