“Overall, it was a OK!”

Ranked #15 of 1,328 Hotels in Sanya
Hong Kong
“Overall, it was a OK!”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Hotel have trained staffs, we got a pleasant stay. Two drawbacks: 1) Wifi signal should reach the beach. 2) it is terrible that no ice cream on sale! Staff told us that it was out of store; it could not be accepted for Hilton, especially it was summer time!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank HongTung
hiltonsanyaresort, General Manager at Hilton Sanya Yalong Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Dear HongTung,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Hilton sanya resort & spa. I appreciate your review of your recent experience at our resort. Thanks so much for your suggestion, we always aim to ensure every Guest feels cared for, valued and respected. Guest satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay. Welcome your next stay with us.

Mr. Stephan Stoss

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Tampere, Finland
Reviewed 22 April 2014

The location of the resort is nice and beach is good. Resort overall quality during our visit was ok (one building was under renovation). As a HHonors member You expect a certain level of things. Most of them were met nicely. 2 things were not: The staff was helpful, but I expect more English-speaking personnel under a world-wide brand. I would think there would be enough willing people to come for work and learn english enough to serve Your needs (I got most and best help from English Employee's (hotel manager?) wife - thank her for that and kind tips very much). Secondly here with everything considered, I think the price level for food and drinks was high - overrated let me say. 7,5 euros for 330 ml beer is too much over here.
Other than these 2 things, we did enjoy our stay.

Room Tip: Lagoon access rooms are very nice ...
1 Thank Traveler_MJT
hiltonsanyaresort, General Manager at Hilton Sanya Yalong Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Dear Traveler_MJT,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Hilton sanya resort & spa. I appreciate your review of your recent experience at our resort. Your good suggestions are very important for our improvement as well. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our beautiful beach. At Hilton, we always aim to ensure every Guest feels cared for, valued and respected. Guest satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay. Welcome your next stay with us.

Muralto, Switzerland
Reviewed 22 April 2014

I had a wonderful experience at the Hilton Sany Resort and SPA.
The SPA was great and not crowded at all even is I was there when the hotel was very busy. I was alone for 3 hours at the SPA.
The drinks they offer at tha bar are very good and healthy.
I would recommend this hotel to families.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Dear Alejandra_Abad_89,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Hilton sanya resort & spa. I appreciate your review of your recent experience at our resort. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our SPA treatment. At Hilton, we always aim to ensure every Guest feels cared for, valued and respected. Guest satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay. Welcome your next stay with us.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 21 April 2014

I have been to Sanya many times and have stayed at different resorts at Yalong Bay. As a loyal member of the HHonnors program, I normally have good impressions and make good comments about Hilton hotels. However I was really disappointed at this Hilton Sanya Resort this time.

Arrival was a nightmare

Several days before my arrival, I received phone calls from the hotel telling me there was some international conference going on at Yalong Bay and they asked me to send copies of each family member’s passport so when we came in there would be no problem. I had a feeling the conference could possibly have some impact on my trip but I underestimated it. When I landed at Sanya airport, it was already 11:00pm. The taxi driver told me he could not send me to the resort because there was a driving ban in Yalong Bay. Then he dropped me in front of a government-like building and all hotels from Yalong Bay had their tents set up there waiting for customers. I was told to get on a Marriott bus and had to wait for about half an hour before the bus got more guests and departed. The bus seemed to go in circles on the dimly lit roads for a while and was stopped at a guard post staffed with soldiers or police equipped with weapons. A soldier boarded the bus and asked everybody to show their ID. It was dark and the air was tense and everyone was nervous. For a while I thought I was in a dream or we were shooting a movie. When we finally arrived at the hotel way after midnight, we were sent through an airport style x-ray security door and had to pass our baggage through an x-ray machine. The next day we found a part of the beach was blocked and was guarded by security personnel. Hotel guests were not allowed to swim in those areas because they were reserved for some “very important people”. When we walked out of the hotel in the evening, we were stopped several times by police on the road asking to check our ID’s. If I knew the conference would have so much effect during our stay, I would have chosen another hotel somewhere else. The problem was if the conference security was so important to Hilton then the resort should have be closed to the public during the event. My advice to everyone else is, always check if there is any important conference going on in Sanya before you go and don’t hesitate to cancel it if you find any VIP would stay at the resort you intend to stay.

A paradise for smokers

When I made the reservation I indicated clearly I wanted a non-smoking room. At check-in, I double checked with the front desk and they assured me I would get a non-smoking room. However, the first night during our sleep, I smelled very strong burning tobacco odor from other rooms. The next morning, when I opened my door, I found the rooms on both sides next to my room had their doors open for cleaning and strong tobacco smell came out from both of them and I could even see light smoke coming from the rooms. Obviously some serious smokers were staying in those rooms and both rooms allowed smoking. Walking around, I found more smoking people in the hallways, elevators, restaurants and other in-door public places and there was no one in sight enforcing the no-smoking rule. I guess I would really enjoy this resort if I were a smoker. Besides smoking, the hotel seems to be catering to a clientele that is very local. I am not a racist and I am of Chinese descendant myself, but the problem of being surrounded by local Chinese people is they are so rude and inconsiderate of others. That means at breakfast I had to deal with people who rushed to food right in front of me like I did not exist; I had to watch many guests who took mountains of food in their plates from the buffet and left half of the mountains on the table when they left.

Rooms are weirdly designed

I was upgraded to a sea view room, which I appreciated. The room was big enough to take a family of two adults and two young children. However, at night time, the room was very dark. I noticed the main light in the “living area” was wrapped with either straws or twigs. It did not make the lamp look better and it blocked the light greatly. I didn’t get why they did that. The bathroom was big but a huge tea cup shape bath tub in the middle took 80% of the space and made the bathroom very crowded. There was only a big curtain separating the “bedroom” and the bathroom, and there was no glass wall to separate the shower and the rest of the bathroom. So, if you stayed in a room like this with your child, there would be some lack of privacy.

Not many food choices

The resort is very big. There are 8 huge buildings and there must be a lot of people during the busy seasons. However there are only two restaurants plus one pool bar in such a big facility. One restaurant is the one where everybody has breakfast and the other serves Chinese cuisine. The pool bar only serves a very limited menu and the prices were ridiculously high.

Hotel staff needs some training

During my entire stay, I was only greeted by two hotel staff members. The others either looked away, pretending not seeing me or simply stared at me without saying anything. I have not seen a Hilton hotel with a staff like this before.

Overall I feel Sanya is losing its charm as it is turning from a quiet and beautiful island resort into a big metropolitan area with beaches. If you look at Sanya from the ocean, it is full of tall buildings and busy streets.

1 Thank atwater5122
hiltonsanyaresort, General Manager at Hilton Sanya Yalong Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Dear atwater5122,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Hilton sanya resort & spa. I appreciate your review of your recent experience at our resort. Your suggestions are very important for our improvement as well. However, we regret we were not able to provide convenient experience during the Boao forum as you expected. At Hilton, we always aim to ensure every Guest feels cared for, valued and respected. Guest satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay. Should your travels bring you back this way, I hope that you will stay with us again.

Toulouse, France
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Could be perfect if food not so expensive after 15% charge; people spitting in the pool or in the building and children peeing on the grass around the pool. Staff is vigilant and sometimes tell them not to do it but they can't see everything. There should be signs posted to make sure people refrein from spitting or use bathrooms!! Staff is very helpful. Security around the pool very efficient.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

hiltonsanyaresort, General Manager at Hilton Sanya Yalong Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Thank you for your recent stay at Hilton sanya resort and spa. We try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel, and hope that next time you are in the area you will consider staying with us.

Tehran, Iran
Reviewed 6 April 2014

So cozy and clean room. Seeeming pool is nice.call beach .locatef in a touristy bay of sanya.brrafast in complate both chinese and international.stafs are so helpful.with beautiful garden.not far from shoping center

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
hiltonsanyaresort, General Manager at Hilton Sanya Yalong Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Thank you for your recent stay at Hilton Sanya Resort&Spa. I hope that our inspirational environment and unparalleled serviced helped to create memories that will last long after your time with us concluded. Thank you for your business, and I hope to see you again soon.

Hangzhou, China
Reviewed 10 March 2014

We had been here previously back in 2010. I have visited Sanya frequently during the last 10 years. We were not fully sure what to expect this time, as hotel itself is not that new anymore. But we knew the beach and pools would be great in any case. There are really many reviews on Hilton, so I will not write a massive one now. Just update my own views on this.

The pros
-Infrastucture in general is in very good shape
-Beach is still as good as it can get in Yalong Bay!
-Swimming pools are also on very good level
-Life guards are very active (very important in hotel with lot of families with young kids, always appreciate this)
-Late check-out was ok

The cons
-Our check-in was not smooth. We ended up waiting almost 70 minutes when we arrived around 2:20pm
-No drinks or anything was offered at this time
-Hotel was noisier than before (not hotel's fault, but some other guests were very loud)
-Level of cleaning was not on par with earlier visits
-Breakfast quality was not what it used to be. We are not most picky guests, but we do appreciate good quality food
-I didn't see western chefs & managers, but perhaps they were there
-Main breakfast room was pretty hectic and we also tried the other restaurant (China Harvest)
-I also ended up having stomache issues during 2nd last day of our stay. I suspected this to be related to one slice of "soggy" cold cut, which I had that morning (I only had breakfast that day)
-I am not blaming anybody here, we had a direct dicussion of this matter with the hotel representatives and they provided me medicine
-It was bit hard to get standard taxi within the resort grounds
-Overall service level was not what it had been during my previous stay (then it was really good I got to say)

To sum it up: Competition is tough in Sanya. All hotels do have ups and downs during their life cycle. Before coming to Hilton I had been quite recently also in both Banyan Tree and St.Regis. This gave me good background for up-to-date comparison. I would recommend Hilton to review their overall service level and focus on getting the breakfast quality back on where it used to be. "Small" things do matter.

Other tips: If you are looking for alternative options for food outside your resort, you can take taxi to La Floret Shopping Centre on main rd. in Yalong Bay (official name is something horrible like Sanya's Catering Model Street). Chinese name is Bai Hua Gu, i.e. La Floret. They do have several ok Chinese restaurants, a pub, Pizza Hut, Haagen-dazs and Starbucks. KFC is behind of this shopping centre. There are some other shopping opportunities as well. And nearby Marriott, which is close to Hilton, there is a fully ok supermarket (short walking distance).

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Abramis
hiltonsanyaresort, General Manager at Hilton Sanya Yalong Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Dear Abramis,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Hilton sanya resort & spa the third times. I appreciate your review of your recent experience at our resort. Your good suggestions are very important for our improvement as well. I am glad to hear that you still enjoyed your stay within our outdoor pools and beautiful beach. However, we regret we were not able to provide you with the breakfast experience you expected. At Hilton, we always aim to ensure every Guest feels cared for, valued and respected. Guest satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay. Should your travels bring you back this way, I hope that you will stay with us again.