“Expansive area. Allow plenty of time.”

Nanshan Cultural Tourist Area
Ranked #2 of 17 Tours in Sanya
Bangkok
153 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 417 helpful votes
“Expansive area. Allow plenty of time.”
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Nanshan Cultural Tourist Area is more or less kind of a religious theme park. The focal point is the huge Kuan Im goddess monument on a small island linked via a bridge with the main area. Not a religious site as such, but this place was more of a commercial development with photo areas, restaurants, shops, etc. When I went on a Saturday, it was teeming with Chinese visitors.
Due to its large size, the park demanded plenty of walking and time to explore, which I did not have. Therefore, that is the reason for the average score here. I think there were many sights I missed so a more complete review is in store if a revisit happens. Overall, I liked the vibe of the place. It can be stunning on a sunny day, especially the goddess, which must be among the most beautiful of its type in China or anywhere else.

Visited April 2014
2 Thank Chattan_k

• Arabic first
  • Polish first
Moscow, Russia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Very calm, quite and intersting place”
Reviewed 5 January 2014

I don't like parks, but this place was good. The statue is very great. Remember that if you have no car you eed to leave this place about 16-30.

Visited January 2014
1 Thank K_Natalia_M
Singapore, Singapore
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Magnificent statue, big park but hot”
Reviewed 1 December 2013

We took the highspeed railway to Sanya from Haikou and the ride is around 2 hours. The ride is very comfortable and the train is clean .You can pick 1st class or 2nd class compartment but it doesn't make much a difference except that the 1st class compartment comes with power which I used it to charge my phone. The seat is wide too. Do book your train tickets early to get the timing you want as Sanya is a popular destination.
Considering that I visited in November, the weather is still hot but luckily it is windy. I will advise you to bring sunglasses and a cap if you are afraid of the heat. We hire a driver to bring us there and was annoyed that he stopped us at a joss stick shop to buy joss-stick after we said we pray to Guanyin. The joss-sticks are expensive - RMB199. You can skip this if you do not wish to. When we reached the park, we have to purchase an entrance fee of RMB150 per person. In addition, we pay for the tram ride at RMB30 per person because the park is too big to walk if we are rushing for time. Anyway, the statue of Guanyin is magnificent and the south sea is so beautiful. Since it is hot, we can get clear blue sky in the picture. To access the statue, we need to pay again but we give it a miss. The park comes with different temples and for those who are buddhist, you will like it. There is a place for vegetarian food but I believe you must pay for the meal. Anyway, our driver and guide wasn't great since he doesn't know much about the place. If you are travelling on your own, you can get a taxi there and there are plenty of taxi drivers looking for passengers for a ride to Sanya. Apparently, sharing a taxi in Hainan may be common and do inform the taxi driver that you do not wish to share a taxi with stranger. We had this experience in Qionghai.
When we reach Haikou East station taxi stand after the trip to Sanya, there is a queue for taxi. The taxi and the passengers do not follow the 1st come 1st serve rule. It turned ugly when the passengers fight to get into the taxi. If you are not in a hurry, do let them fight for the taxi first. If you are, then you must be first to open the taxi door and beware that the taxi may accept other passengers to take the ride with you and you can certainly say NO to the taxi driver if he did so. Anyway, the taxi goes by meter.

Visited November 2013
5 Thank YHW11
Seoul, South Korea
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Quite a nice experience”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

It's actually a Chinese temple with massive building developments, a place worthy to visit if you have no problem with Buddhism. I arrived there in 9A.M., it was quite a long queue in front of the ticket office. I was surprised to such a long queue as was told by my Korean friends who worked at Sanya that September is a low season, normally no queue in any tourism attractions. But anyway I could get in after 30 mins queuing. VERY large place, several different temples inside, you can see the 108m Mercy Statue, Fortune Biddhism and etc. A lots of local people there are praying for personal wishes. From my point of view, this place is being managed quite nicely, after get in , you can take a buggy goes around the area and there is a tour guide on the buggy to explain the story of the place and take care of the passengers.
Two cons:
1. no English tour guide on the buggy
2. noisy sounds at the entrance, seems staff are promoting something loudly.

Visited September 2013
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Beautiful park with many things to see”
Reviewed 1 August 2013 via mobile

The Nanshan temple tourist area is an exquisite beachside park . The attractions are centred around the Buddhist cultural significance of the site.Whether you are admiring the enormous 3-sided Buddha statue,enjoying the vegetarian buffet,strolling through the beautiful parks or just admiring the views and master craftsmanship; you are sure to enjoy this special place.

Visited July 2013