This is probably the best place to stay while vacationing in Sanya. I haven't tried the Ritz Carlton yet, but the Mandarin sets a new standard for the hospitality industry in the south of Hainan.
Being new, the hotel still has some problems - mostly with staff - but they are probably working on it.
the kids facilities are fantastic. the entry pool with sand makes it perfect for very young toddlers. Our 2-year old loved it. Hilton has one in Yalong Bay, but the kids MO pool is 5 times bigger, very shallow, and full of beach toys. Also, the MO MO kids club has toys, books, dvds and the young crowds - unfortunately it closes at 6pm (they should maybe extend it during dinner time, so that parents have a quiet meal...)
The pools are great. The kids pool is separated from other pools, and singles or couples will find the tranquility they are looking for. One of the pool areas has 3 slides making it fun for the whole family.
The Food is good, but the proximity to the city makes it very easy to change restaurants every evening - unlike in Yalong Bay. Finally, the rooms are well designed, and spacious.
the cons: the beach is really average. It is short, narrow, covered with rocks and one needs shoes to enter the water. It dissapears during high tide; and Water is much less clear than in Yalong Bay. Also, the service in the pavillion restaurant is painfully slow, even when the restaurant is empty. average wait is 45minutes, making it difficult for parents with hungry kids.
according to the locals, Mandarin has the merit of having developped an area of Dadonghai which was previously a dump; nobody was going there, and the hotel has worked on this project for the last several years, reshaping the landscape. Being said that, it is located at the end of a lane behind a navy facility. During navy excercises, soldiers cut the road and taxis cannot go thru. We had to take a short stroll to reach the city and ... :-)
Overall, I still give the hotel a full mark, and will come back again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Enjoying the privacy of a secluded 1.2 Km nationally protected coral bay and nestled amongst lush tropical flora, Mandarin Oriental, Sanya is an exclusive retreat where nature is celebrated and tranquillity is assured. The luxury resort features a series of private low rise and villa accommodation with ocean and tropical garden views, innovative restaurants and bars, recreational facilities for both adults and children, a blissful Spa Village and distinctive indoor and outdoor conference and banqueting facilities. Located just 20 minutes from Sanya International Airport, the luxury resort provides convenient access to all of the area's major tourist attractions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Ctrip TA, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, Cancelon and Hotel.de so you can book your Mandarin Oriental, Sanya reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mandarin Oriental, Sanya Hotel Sanya
- Mandarin Oriental Hotel Sanya