“New Paris Hotel Harbin”

Ranked #136 of 1,113 Hotels in Harbin
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
“New Paris Hotel Harbin”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2014

Staying in the (cold) city of Harbin the New Paris hotel was ok given the relative low price. High end enrty..however...the bath could not be filled with hot water, (only 25oC or so and the indoor swimming pool was empty and closed ( coudl have been because of winter?).

Lunch was very good, Breakfast ok (even for non Chinees guest)
Roon was great, clean and warm...good service and every one was trying to help in English..
Bed was rather hard :-(

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business

Families
Couples
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Angoulême, Poitou-Charentes, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2012

So nothing special, typical ostentatious entrance, and really poor service. Arrived at 12.30 am and took over 20 minutes to check in with a trainee who was having difficulties, whilst 3 other staff seemed more interested in their iPhones. Room rate mysteriously increased by 50% from the confirmed price until I kicked up a stink. Speaking of stinks the bathroom had a quite unique smell 5 minutes after taking a shower. All my colleagues reported the same. Room was OK but a little tatty, and the whole place is showing it's age.
As reported by others, the upfront charge on your credit card is steep, yet they then refused to accept payment to my room at the bar for a large tab as I had somehow managed to now not have enough credit. Seriously, this crap shouldn't happen unless they suspect us all of having stolen credit cards. But on the positive, the room was quiet ( 9th floor and no road noise) and the breakfast was good. The Karoake bar is quite a spectacle and very OTT, but we had a great time with a party of 10+ at a reasonable price.

Room Tip: Asked for a quiet room; got the ideal of end of the corridor. The lifts were rather noisy so best t...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Germany
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2010

The lobby was an attempt to recreate the sistine chapel meets Las Vegas. By now, after travelling in China for more than 15 years, I relate the amount of pomp and stucco inversely to the level of service to be found within those faux-renaissance domains. And so it was the case in Harbin.
The executive rooms are not on the top floors - dont ask. They are in the middle which gives you a view of the highrisers across. How the non-executive rooms look like I dont know. Presumably they have a lot better view.
The hotel had a gym. Upon asking when the opening times were I was told 07:00 a.m on the phone, and when actually being there, a very service-oriented individual had me talk to his hand in the attempt to get him to do anything before nine in the morning.
The room was full of things, especially the floor. I am sure I added to the generations of hair since there was no plug in the bathroom to use the hair dryer, and so you have to do it over the writing desk. It still does not explain the absence of a vacuum cleaner in a hotel of 5-stars. I do expect a clean room when I check in - period.
This, combined with the observation that none of the staff seemed to speak any English (I do speak Mandarin though) makes me give this one not many stars or recommendations. The reason why I stayed there was that the Sofitel upped their price overnight by 200 RMB.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank Christine_sing
Europe
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2010

I did not feel that this hotel is a 5 star hotel (although promised). The staff speaks very limited English, especially when customer service is really needed. When a receptionist could not explain odd practices of the hotel she/he suddenly "lost" the ability to speak English and said that they must contact the manager of the hotel. Moreover, there was no swimming pool nor fittness center although promised at the web site of the hotel and on the marketing leaflets. I can also say that there was no proper room service since nobody (!) who probably (?) belonged to the room service spoke English.

The strangest practice is to charge a deposit much LARGER than the total bill of the room and without a customer's permission.

This hotel really charges a deposit from your credit card by force: when you check in they just take your card saying nothing and then you are told that the money was taken. And the deposit is not nominal - it is 1.5 x the total room rate of your whole stay! I tried to agree that I will leave my passport and my credit card as a deposit, but a receptionist just wanted to take the money and said that they do not trust their customers. One does not expect to have this kind of customer service at a five star hotel.

Still 8 days after I left the hotel the deposit is still being freezed from my credit card account for charging. While checking out I was said at the hotel reception that the deposit will be canceled in 10 hours. My credit card company said that they have never reiceived any cancellation from the hotel although this kind of document was given to me when I checked out.

On the other hand, the total bill of the room was charged immediately from my credit card account when I checked out.

Thus, I have paid now 2.5 times more than the total price should be!!!!!

Next my credit card company will begin the official investigation of the case. Luckily I have all the documents to prove what really happened.

I highly recommend to select another hotel when visiting Harbin. For example, with the Holiday Inn hotels in China I have never met any problems.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank EuropeABC
Tampa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2010

I was very pleased with my stay at the New Paris Hotel. Would not hesitate in staying there again.

At check in, we were met by a personal concierge who gave us a run down on the hotel and information on sights to see in Harbin. Very good service. We also had him arrange a driver for our stay. The car ended up coming with an English speaking tour guide as well... bonus.

The hotel was heated (including the rooms), and there was plenty of hot water. My room was warm, spacious, clean and well appointed.

Not much choice of English television programming - just CCTV9 and Cinemax .

Breakfast was typical Chinese and included. The lobby bar was nice.

The airport is around 40 minutes away from Harbin-- I have no clue why it is so far from the city.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends