“Excellent rooms, location ok.”
Review of Post Hotel

Post Hotel
Ranked #372 of 1,158 Hotels in Harbin
Reviewed 4 February 2014 via mobile

The room we got was excellent, despite having lower expectations after reading some of the reviews on here. We booked a deluxe queen room for 5 nights over the CNY period, and on arrival, found we had been given a free upgrade to an executive suite ... that's always a BIG plus iny book !!

Suite was roomy, tastefully decorated, very warm with reverse-cycle air-con.

The hotel restaurant turns outca small variety of tasty food, including a number of dongbei specialties. Fairly expensive by harnin standards, but hotel restaurants generally are.

Tip: The bottled water provided in the rooms are charged at 30RMB per bottle!! There is a small gift shop in the lobby, opposite the elevators, that also stocks a variety of drinks, noodles, and snacks. Bottled water here is MUCH cheaper at only 3RMB per bottle!! Be aware though that the gift shop can't accept overseas credit cards.

There is a bank with atm located conveniently next to the hotl, but is directly accessible only during business hours.

The location of this hotel is within easy walking distance of shopping cemtres are a variety of smaller stores. A bit further back from tourist attractions near the bridge, but taxis are readily available.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Andrew_Alin

Reviewed 21 January 2014 via mobile

Is the tipical four star hotel in China. 2 Stars in Europe. Have a normal stuff, nothing extraordinary and in China we cant ask so much. For me is incredible the way that ANY person there spoke english. Become so hard the communication. The breakfast was just for one Person. Is strange for two persons room. The room was good but the bed a little bit soft.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 January 2014

I live in China, but am from England, and in my experience, Four Star in provincial China is like 2 star in Europe. So don't expect anything too fancy!

I stayed at the Post Hotel out of necessity, really. I had a reservation at a different place inititally (an apartment complex actually, because it's very basic (all I needed) and waaaaaaaay cheaper), but it was also unreliable and the reservation I had fell through. It was opening night of the Ice Festival and Harbin was bursting at the seams with travellers, so the Post Hotel was really an option I chose out of need at the last minute.

So would I stay there again? No. Why? Mainly because of the location. It's not really a bustling hub of restaurants or nightlife. It took me an hour walking about the neighbourhood to find a hotpot restaurant (supposedly Harbin is teeming with this traditional type of Chinese restaurant, AND I can read Chinese so I'm not even relying on signs in English (there are NONE in Harbin!!!!) so that should give you some idea of the inaccessibility of the area.

Another indication of that is that it took me about half an hour in central Harbin to find a cab driver willing to take me to Post Hotel. Most drivers had no idea where it was. And the driver I did get to take me clearly only knew the general area, and drove around quite a bit at the end of the journey to find the actual place.

In terms of the actual hotel, it's fine for a 2 star. Clean, good heating, standard really. You shouldn't expect any English at any hotel in Harbin, so I wasn't disappointed by that. But I did need some help buying a ticket to some tourist attractions, and when I asked in Chinese the staff were not that helpful. SO if you don't even speak Chinese I'm nit sure you'd be really happy here...

But mainly my problem was with the location. I can handle unfriendly workers, and a standard-nothing-too-special room, but I need to be somewhere convenient, and this just isn't!

I've been to Harbin before and stayed near Zhaolin Park, off Zhongyang da jie (the main street). That was a much better experience, so book in advance and get somewhere with a better location!

Room Tip: On the website I used, the European Style room was described virtually the same as the Standard Doub...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 January 2013

Bit of a shock when I first walked in. On the plus side its cheap, warm, clean and free wifi. On the negative there is no currency exchange, little or no room service, the staff cannot speak English and no bar. One tip is to pay extra for a room upgrade. Breakfast is basic if you want a Western style breakfast and you will need t o eat out in the evening. It may but extremely cold in January but its a once in a lifetime experience to visit the ice city.

Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 January 2013

I stayed three nights in this hotel for a conference held in the same hotel. the conference organizer made the reservation. it is poorly maintained and not well managed. sound insulation between the walls is poor. public bath room in the conference room area was dirty - no paper towel and the hand dryer does not work. my room on the top floor had water damage and mold can be clearly seen on the wall. there was hair on the floor and the counter, and there was dryed tea leaves on the floor. hot water is not stable in the shower and the shower stall is too small. the sales manager was nice and promised to report to the other department.

Room Tip: do not stay on the 7th floor, if you cannot avoid this hotel. I heard there are no better hotels in...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank qsun
Reviewed 11 May 2012

We visited Harbin during Winter 2012. This hotel was our great refuge from the biting cold outside, with -28 degrees Celsius. When we first came in directly from the train station from Beijing, we were wow-ed by the lobby, not expecting that this was the worth of the money we paid for our accommodation. It's a good deal for us fresh graduates. The hotel's like a mini-museum with various artifacts used by both Chinese and Russians (Harbin is already near Russia) showcased on the hallways of the hotel, which is interesting. The bedroom is really cozy and the bathroom is great! Everything is very neat and orderly. However, our two rooms didn't seem to have a matching bathroom, since the other room's quite upgraded from the other. Breakfast is good, too. Having different variants of food and drinks, but being a tourist, I am not familiar with some of them, and does not actually know what are they, but they're fine-tasting. They can even store your baggage first when it's check out time and you still want to tour around Harbin, and just get them back later on when it's time to catch a flight. The staff are also friendly enough to assist you in getting to places you want to go around the city if you did not get a tour guide, just like in our case. In overall, Post Hotel was a great experience for our group!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 January 2012

The Hotel is good for a traveller looking for short holidays. The hotel is very close to all Harbin attraction, the underground shoping which is good value for money. the supermarket is also very near, one can book china train ticket in Sino hotel 1 st floor which is opposite to post hotel.
The hotel Staff is very helpful and always ready to help you.The room was ok but need revnovation .

Room Tip: Ask for High foor front view rooms
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family