“4?what..4*??really?”
Review of Post Hotel

Post Hotel
Ranked #372 of 1,158 Hotels in Harbin
Reviewed 18 July 2014

First impressions upon arrival(externally) was appalling! I didn't want to go inside.. My boyfriend had to convince me. The hotel front is appalling! Like a derelict building.
Reception was uninviting, with 2 receptionists bored out of their brain, legs on the desk! Nice....
Credit card machine didn't work(offline) and despite several attempts we couldn't proceed with the payment, but we're asked to pay upfront in cash! Lucky we had enough on us!
We were given a room key and told to go to our room-no escorting, or guiding to where the lifts are even.
I booked a business rate room, which is large with modern bathroom. Impressed with the cleanliness of the linen and the room in general. The room rate includes only 1 breakfast(!), so I paid additional for two nights. This morning, we went to the breakfast room(which is on 2nd floor-no info provided) at 9:35am, Saturday, only to find that the breakfast had finished!! All the food was cleared, the tables stripped of all cutlery etc! We couldn't believe this, so enquired about it, to be told that this is the hotels policy and was written on the room key pocket... Which of course it wasn't! Reception did not inform us of this either. When pushed, a member of staff offered to prepare some toast for me, asked me to sit on an unclean table and offered me a "glass" of weak coffee. No milk, as it "was put away".
It's appalling! Hardly anyone speaks English and the staff laugh at the sight of us, like we are aliens. I know the Chinese consider foreigners to be laowei, but in a so called ...hotel, I d expect a better attitude!
Unacceptable!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mpmp111

Reviewed 20 May 2014

Harbin is probably China's ugliest city. I stayed at the Post Hotel for two nights. The cavernous entry foyer is not inviting. The staff speak no English but try hard to help. The room and particularly the bathroom are basic and tasteless in decoration. Cleanliness is fair but not sparkling. Breakfast is a grim affair provided in a former store room in the basement.
Half the ground floor is occupied by a post office but here is no currency exchange. There is no bar. This is not a wonderful place to stay.

Room Tip: Try another hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank nicholas t
Reviewed 4 February 2014 via mobile

The room we got was excellent, despite having lower expectations after reading some of the reviews on here. We booked a deluxe queen room for 5 nights over the CNY period, and on arrival, found we had been given a free upgrade to an executive suite ... that's always a BIG plus iny book !!

Suite was roomy, tastefully decorated, very warm with reverse-cycle air-con.

The hotel restaurant turns outca small variety of tasty food, including a number of dongbei specialties. Fairly expensive by harnin standards, but hotel restaurants generally are.

Tip: The bottled water provided in the rooms are charged at 30RMB per bottle!! There is a small gift shop in the lobby, opposite the elevators, that also stocks a variety of drinks, noodles, and snacks. Bottled water here is MUCH cheaper at only 3RMB per bottle!! Be aware though that the gift shop can't accept overseas credit cards.

There is a bank with atm located conveniently next to the hotl, but is directly accessible only during business hours.

The location of this hotel is within easy walking distance of shopping cemtres are a variety of smaller stores. A bit further back from tourist attractions near the bridge, but taxis are readily available.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Andrew_Alin
Reviewed 21 January 2014 via mobile

Is the tipical four star hotel in China. 2 Stars in Europe. Have a normal stuff, nothing extraordinary and in China we cant ask so much. For me is incredible the way that ANY person there spoke english. Become so hard the communication. The breakfast was just for one Person. Is strange for two persons room. The room was good but the bed a little bit soft.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 January 2014

I live in China, but am from England, and in my experience, Four Star in provincial China is like 2 star in Europe. So don't expect anything too fancy!

I stayed at the Post Hotel out of necessity, really. I had a reservation at a different place inititally (an apartment complex actually, because it's very basic (all I needed) and waaaaaaaay cheaper), but it was also unreliable and the reservation I had fell through. It was opening night of the Ice Festival and Harbin was bursting at the seams with travellers, so the Post Hotel was really an option I chose out of need at the last minute.

So would I stay there again? No. Why? Mainly because of the location. It's not really a bustling hub of restaurants or nightlife. It took me an hour walking about the neighbourhood to find a hotpot restaurant (supposedly Harbin is teeming with this traditional type of Chinese restaurant, AND I can read Chinese so I'm not even relying on signs in English (there are NONE in Harbin!!!!) so that should give you some idea of the inaccessibility of the area.

Another indication of that is that it took me about half an hour in central Harbin to find a cab driver willing to take me to Post Hotel. Most drivers had no idea where it was. And the driver I did get to take me clearly only knew the general area, and drove around quite a bit at the end of the journey to find the actual place.

In terms of the actual hotel, it's fine for a 2 star. Clean, good heating, standard really. You shouldn't expect any English at any hotel in Harbin, so I wasn't disappointed by that. But I did need some help buying a ticket to some tourist attractions, and when I asked in Chinese the staff were not that helpful. SO if you don't even speak Chinese I'm nit sure you'd be really happy here...

But mainly my problem was with the location. I can handle unfriendly workers, and a standard-nothing-too-special room, but I need to be somewhere convenient, and this just isn't!

I've been to Harbin before and stayed near Zhaolin Park, off Zhongyang da jie (the main street). That was a much better experience, so book in advance and get somewhere with a better location!

Room Tip: On the website I used, the European Style room was described virtually the same as the Standard Doub...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 January 2013

Bit of a shock when I first walked in. On the plus side its cheap, warm, clean and free wifi. On the negative there is no currency exchange, little or no room service, the staff cannot speak English and no bar. One tip is to pay extra for a room upgrade. Breakfast is basic if you want a Western style breakfast and you will need t o eat out in the evening. It may but extremely cold in January but its a once in a lifetime experience to visit the ice city.

Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 January 2013

I stayed three nights in this hotel for a conference held in the same hotel. the conference organizer made the reservation. it is poorly maintained and not well managed. sound insulation between the walls is poor. public bath room in the conference room area was dirty - no paper towel and the hand dryer does not work. my room on the top floor had water damage and mold can be clearly seen on the wall. there was hair on the floor and the counter, and there was dryed tea leaves on the floor. hot water is not stable in the shower and the shower stall is too small. the sales manager was nice and promised to report to the other department.

Room Tip: do not stay on the 7th floor, if you cannot avoid this hotel. I heard there are no better hotels in...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business