“Very good facilities, nice people, some service issues”

Westin Wuhan Wuchang
Ranked #8 of 2,337 Hotels in Wuhan
Quatro Barras, PR
“Very good facilities, nice people, some service issues”
Reviewed 24 May 2014

It’s a very very comfortable hotel. Facilities are very nice, have stayed more than once, and for long term. rooms I have stayed are very spacious, nice and clean. All worked well at my rooms.
Fitting center is very well equipped, very good level. Swimming pool is really nice and well kept.. Sauna and Jacuzzi the same. Nothing to complain about.
Staff is very nice, always willing to talk to you.
Breakfast is well served, lots of offer, all possibilities.
Weak points:
- Some of the days, when hotel is more full, not easy to quickly get a breakfast table that is clean and ready. But staff makes all efforts to solve
- some of the western things on breakfast are not so nice. Cheese in particular. But I imagine that is tough to get this in good offer and shape in China
- check in and out takes ages, as all hotels I stayed.
But this last time was much worse. I checked in at 15:15, and no available room. I was very unpleased, and the lady noticed. She told me 40 minutes would be needed to have a room ready for me, and asked me to wait a minute, she would check with the manager if possible to have me waiting in a more comfortable place rather than the lobby. After all I´m staying for 20 consecutive days in this venue. She then came back telling that the manager didn’t allow!!!! Better if not offered.
Well I sat in the lobby bar and told her I was going to be there, at her eyes reach, and when ready, for HER to reach me. After more than 50 minutes, I came back to her, and the room eas not available yet. Took a couple more minutes.
So this was a bad experience.
Hotel location is good when comes to having a metro station very close. Other than that, would be great as a long walkway by the river. Issue is that the city is so polluted you don´t get the real benefit.
Not too many places for a western one to dine.
Room service, I´m a frequent user, is good, quite fast and nice people again.
I would expect some better check in/out for a long stayer, and not first timer.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Jessica W, Guest Relations Manager at Westin Wuhan Wuchang, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Thank you for staying with us and posting your recommendation here on our hotel website.We are more than pleased to hear that our hotel rooms, facilities and swimming pool could assist in your renewing experience and leave you with good impressions. At Westin we aim to deliver highest quality services to our guests at every touch point, we will share your feedbacks with the team so that we can take immediate measures for improvement. I do apologize that your experience on this occasion fell short of your expectations. Please be assured we are always seeking to improve the service we offer our guests and this cannot be achieved without honest feedback such as yours.

Stay Well.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Curitiba, PR
Reviewed 15 May 2014

The hotel looks like a typical Chinese Westin. Exagerated luxurious ambience and very comfortable and well equiped rooms. But the services are below average. The food quality is bad.. Bad fruits and old cheeses at the Breakfast. They don't care about cleanning well and fast the tables.
Nowadays charging for internet connection is outrageous!! Westin Wuhan do it...

Room Tip: Definetely river view rooms...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank chmcsouza
Jessica W, Guest Relations Manager at Westin Wuhan Wuchang, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Thanks for taking the time to give us such detailed feedback on your stay with us.
I have already shared your comments with the team so that we can take immediate measures for improvement. I do apologize that your experience on this occasion fell short of your expectations. Please be assured at Westin we aim to deliver highest quality services to our guests at every touch point and this cannot be achieved without honest feedback such as yours.
Hopefully we can welcome you back again in the not too distant future.
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 9 March 2014

I have stayed at this hotel 7 times over the last six months. Overall it is a really good hotel for Wuhan:
- The rooms are spacious with quite comfortable beds
- The breakfast has an enormous choice and the good taste. The western section is of the breakfast is also quite good and has a good variety also in multiple choices of tasty bread
- The club floor serves decent selection in the evening
- The Gym is well equipped and has a decent size

The following points prevent me from providing five stars:
- While the overall room service menu provides a good selection of options, I have had multiple occurrences during the normal room service times where many items including quite standard things like Pizza were not possible to be served.
- The spa area needs to be improved - Last time the sauna did not work properly

All in all, I will stay at this hotel again if I have to go to Wuhan again - it is a much better option at a reasonable rate than at other hotels I stayed at in Wuhan.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Jessica W, Guest Relations Manager at Westin Wuhan Wuchang, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
Thank you for sharing your fantastic review with us and others on Tripadvisor.
It is great to know that Westin’s renowned and widely recognized signature Heavenly Bed allowed for very good nights’ sleep and also the Heavenly Bath added to your comfort.
Your feedback towards our Westin Executive Club Lounge is exhilarating. Thank you for your kind words.
We want to take this opportunity to thank you for your continuous loyalty to Starwood Hotels and Resorts and look forward to welcome back in the near future.
London
Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

I have stayed at this hotel many times in the past and like its location. I have written very positive reviews of this property in the past but staff change and my recent short stay left me unhappy and wanting to try one of the new hotels in Wuhan on my next stay. First, I arrived after midnight and check in took inordinately long (20+ mins) (I am a lifetime Platinum member). Second, the web speed was terrible causing me to be unable to use VOIP and racking up mobile phone bills for my stay of over US$150 (the speed in the executive lounge was also considerably slower than my mobile phone). Third, the computers in the lounge were unusable for doing my boarding pass -- I needed to do it myself and bring it back to the lounge for printing. Fourth, the cash machine in the lobby was broken and there are not cash machines very close to the hotel so I had to take a walk on a busy morning when I had better things to do. I saw a lot of new staff. WHat really bothered me was the internet speeds and the fact the hotel appears to be cutting corners that a lot of the cheaper hotels in China do.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
I have already shared your comments with the team so that we can take immediate measures for improvement. I do apologize that your experience on this occasion fell short of your expectations. Please be assured we are always seeking to improve the service we offer our guests and this cannot be achieved without honest feedback such as yours.
Hopefully we can welcome you back again in the not too distant future.
Reviewed 5 December 2013

The lobby with it´s spectacular chandelier is very welcoming, the staff is professional and english language is generally no problem. A also found the lobby bar comfortable and welcoming, easy to spend many hours there trying out the bar meny. My room, with view towards the river at 12th floor, was very spacious and had everything I would like in a hotel room. Wifi was slow, but not slower then normal i China. Breakfast was generous and very good.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Jessica W, Guest Relations Manager at Westin Wuhan Wuchang, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Dear Guest, Thank you so much for staying with us and sharing your insights with our friends here. We are more than happy to hear that our lobby bar, rooms and breakfast leave you with a good impressions. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon for another renewal experience.

Stay Well.
Athens, Ohio
Reviewed 2 December 2013

We stayed on this SPG non-smoking floor. The room was almost too large with separate rooms for the toilet, shower, and bathtub. However my plan to take a bath was thwarted when only luke warm water came out of the tap.

This hotel is new and in the not-so developed (or new) Wuchang district of Wuhan. I had all my meals at this hotel buffet style in the restaurant and the food was rather bland.

The room was dirty when we checked in. We found sunflower seeds under the bed and dried urine drops on the toilet, so they need to do a better job cleaning.

We had made a reservation by Booking.com but after our arrival they could not find it on their computer and did not honor the one that I received by e-mail. The hotel was full and they had no room for us, so we had to spend a night a cheap and seedier hotel around the corner, it was less than $50 per night. After complaining to booking.com and checking in the next day, I was told that the hotel reservation agent canceled my reservation because they saw I had a reservation for the following day and thought that it was a duplicate reservation. However, when I pointed out that the reservation was for a day earlier and they verified it, they acknowledged their mistake and gave us a free pass to the executive lounge, which also had better food than the restaurant but still bland with not much flavor for any of the dishes.

Why did they acknowledge this mistake a day later and not at the time that we initially checked in? Because they oversold the hotel, and came up with this flimsy excuse the next day when they did not have to deal with our problem! A real 5 star hotel, if it made such a mistake would have sent us to another equivalent hotel. Instead, this hotel did nothing to help us. Their attitude was it was your mistake so deal with it. After, we dealt with it, then they were willing to issue an apology but the damage was done.

I would not recommend this hotel unless, you happened to working or need to be in this area. I think it is the only nice hotel close to this location.

Someone had posted on tripadvisor that their was a restaurant street across the street from this hotel along the river, but they must have confused the Westin Wuchang with another hotel. There is a small park and walkway along the river, but no restaurant street.

Room Tip: Go to the SPG non-smoking floor.
Review collected in partnership with Shangri La Hotels

Jessica W, Guest Relations Manager at Westin Wuhan Wuchang, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Appreciate your feedback on your recent stay with us at The Westin Wuhan Wuchang.
Your comments are very important to the team and your comments regarding service and food are noted and please be assured we have plans for this in place so we can steadily improve. At Westin we aim to deliver highest quality services to our guests at every touch point.
We hope to see you again for another renewal stay!
Ellon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 November 2013

We stayed for two nights in this hotel having arrived 01.00hrs the first evening. The breakfast spread is incredible, catering for all tastes. From check in through all departments, there is a genuine friendliness and my lack of Mandarin did not present a problem. The lobby area can only be described as cavernous. Check in and Checkout is performed with speed and efficiency. A truly memorable experience,.

Room Tip: I stayed on the 8th floor double room, but sound proofing is first class.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
GMWestinWuhan, General Manager at Westin Wuhan Wuchang, responded to this review, 1 December 2013
Dear “Rennie C”

We appreciate you giving such positive feedback on your recent stay at The Westin Wuhan Wuchang and are particularly pleased you enjoyed the buffet breakfast at Seasonal Tastes Restaurant.

We hope to see you again soon!

Warmest regards