See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 27 June 2017 via mobile

Terrible hotel, very unfriendly front office. Very bad impressions. Will never be back to this hotel. One of the worst in terms of hospitality. Never say sorry to guests eventhough they make mistake. Bad attitude and manner, they need to learn more about hospitality. I have been travelling throughout the world and this hotel is pathetic.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Jimmy T
Reviewed 12 September 2016

I stayed here for a conference held at the hotel. The room was pretty good, a little older but quite clean and lavish. It's a pretty nice hotel compared to other hotels in China I have stayed at.
On arrival, I had an issue with wifi connectivity in my room. The manager himself (Mr Kyle Liang) came to check the situation, and immediately arranged for it to be resolved. He stayed until he was certain it was fixed. I really appreciated his concern, it's a rare experience to have such personal service! He also spoke excellent English!
I also had a small issue with air conditioning in my room, but this was resolved within the hour of my notifying the front desk. The hotel is really quick to resolve any issues you might have.
There is a small convenience shop on the ground floor, as well as a collection of other small interesting shops.
The conference went relatively smoothly. We had to change rooms on one day to allow for a wedding, but the hotel staff helped set our room up.
This would have to be one of the best hotels I've stayed in China. The people in Hohhot are also very kind and friendly, always wanting to help if you need it. A very refreshing change! I'd like to go back one day when I'm not working there to be able to have more of a look around, it's a really interesting and different part of China.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 March 2016

As I lived in Hohhot for several years I had no reason to stay here, but I did drop in a few times for a real treat, which most travelers won't know about (they don't advertise this much in English).

They have a North Korean buffet which is rather special- North Korean food and all the waitresses are North Korean girls. On a stage they often do traditional Korean songs, dances and play old instruments. Altogether you won't find this in many places.

Just for an explanation, their parents are all mid-level people in the NK gov't, and they get the visa for this through that. However, for their several years here they're not allowed to leave the hotel. Rather sad, but I suppose it's one cage or another :-(

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 October 2015

Nice rooms, some okay shopping, good food great location. I'd go back just for the location alone. Nice older building with great in room service. Prices were also good. Shopping was a little high in the hotel on some items.

Room Tip: get a view facing east for get sun sets.
  • Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 September 2015

I stayed in this hotel for one night recently during business travel. It is an excellent Chinese 5 star hotel, that was beautifully presented and serviced. The hotel featured a range of restaurants, gift shops, a travel agency, a bar and many other features. The check in experience was quick and efficient.

I stayed on the 19th floor, and the room was excellent. The king bed was more comfortable than most Chinese hotels, and the room included a mini bar, office desk, separate bath and shower and everything was clean and in good condition. The room also included a PC, although I didn't use this. Welcome fruit and yogurt was provided in the room.

A colleague and I had dinner in the first floor restaurant at the buffet. We selected to eat here as there were only 2 of us travelling together, and this allowed a better variety of food than if we ate at one of the other restaurants in the hotel. The buffet was excellent, including a range of popular local cuisines such as mutton, donkey and a variety of soups, as well as a range of fish (including sashimi) and seafood. The buffet included wine and beer in the affordable price. Breakfast was in the same restaurant, and included a range of Chinese and Western dishes, with attentive staff providing tea and coffee.

The staff throughout were friendly and helpful.

The downside (and the ONLY reason this hotel gets 4 rather than 5 stars in this review) - was checkout and the use of DCC (Dynamic Currency Conversion) with staff apparently oblivious that they were doing this. I clearly instructed the staff that the payment was to be processed to my Mastercard in Chinese RMB. They nodded and proceeded to present me with a credit card slip which had been converted by the Point of Sale (POS) machine into Australian Dollars using DCC (Dynamic Currency Conversion). I refused to sign it and asked them to void it and process it in in RMB. They voided it, and the processed the transaction through their machine again, which converted the charge into Australian Dollars again!!! I asked them again to void it and offered to show them how to process it in RMB in their machine. With my assistance, this (third) time it was correctly processed in RMB.

As a frequent traveller I will always avoid allowing merchants POS machines to convert currency automatically to my home currency as this always works out to a much poorer exchange rate than the current interbank rate. By way of example, the DCC AUD amount that they presented to me on the charge slip at this hotel was AUD $190.23, whereas once processed correctly to my credit card in RMB, the amount when converted by my bank in Australia was AUD $182.96. This reflects why I will ALWAYS decline DCC and insist that transactions be processed in local currency. It is a significant gap, which I would happily refer to as a scam when it is conducted involuntarily.

I genuinely believe that the staff were not trying to rip me off with this DCC scam, however they were untrained about the fact their machine was converting currencies using DCC by default, and this is unacceptable for a 5 star hotel (indeed, I believe it is unacceptable for any merchant). The staff were friendly about this, however it did detract from the otherwise impeccable experience at this hotel.

I would happily stay in this beautiful hotel again and would recommend it, but would recommend that foreign Visa and Mastercard holders exercise caution when transacting here, to avoid DCC.

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled on business