“American luxury in the middle of nowhere”

Sheraton Hohhot Hotel
Ranked #1 of 457 Hotels in Hohhot
Reviewed 17 November 2013

This is the best hotel I've stayed at in China, and I travel 3x a month for work, always in 4 or 5 star. This review is for Americans, or others to whom coffee is a "deal breaker" when rating a room. As a rule, China only provides Nescafe instant coffee, so I recommend bringing your own. Starbucks instant is as good as instant gets. However, at this Sheraton, they had real coffee and a french press in the room. I sat on the bed shocked, as I never carry my own press, afraid of breaking the carafe. Internet is free (not always the case in China), 3 or 4 English TV channels, and many extra amenities:

A gift from housekeeping, a red Chinese knot, nice keepsake of the trip (they leave it on your pillow)

4 bottles of free water (usually 2)
fruit, newspapers
bathroom extras:
mouthwash
a luffe
bath salts
(no shaving kit)
American tooth paste

I ordered room service and had a steak sandwich (90 rmb) $14, very good, arrived in 20 minutes. The breakfast is excellent. Only problem there is the waitresses do not come and ask if you want coffee (odd since they are so good about it in the room). The restaurant manager should have a carafe of good coffee ready early Sun. a.m. for those of us there to work for the day.

Colleague had the seafood buffet (160 rmb ) $25 which he said

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Kate368
Sheraton H, Online Distribution Manager at Sheraton Hohhot Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Dear Kate368:

Thanks very much for sharing your wonderful comments with our friends here on tripadvisor.com. We truly appreciate your time and effort to let us know about your experience with us during your stay at Sheraton Hohhot Hotel.

It is great that our facilities and service were in your favor .

We would look forward to welcome you back in the near future for yet another uplifting memory with us.

Reviewed 13 October 2013

I stayed here briefly on business in August 2013 and was pleasantly surprised by the high standards maintained in this Sheraton property. This is not always the case when travelling in provincial China - the Sheraton in Urumqi, for example, is massively over-priced and largely indistinguishable from the average Chinese business hotel. Here in Hohhot, however, the staff were well-trained, friendly and helpful, rooms were comfortable and nicely decorated with fast in-room wifi, and there was a decent selection of both Chinese and western dishes at breakfast. My colleague and I requested non-smoking rooms when making our reservation, a request which was honoured when we checked in - with only two non-smoking rooms available at the time I was upgraded to a room on one of the Starwood Preferred Guest floors, which was very spacious and well-appointed. I would not hesitate to recommend the Sheraton to anyone travelling to Hohhot on business.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Sheraton H, Online Distribution Manager at Sheraton Hohhot Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2013

Dear Luo_Qing81:

Reviewed 12 August 2013

I have stayed there on business for about 5 months last year and this is probably the best hotel in Hohhot. Really well maintained and great service. Entire staff is courteous and are always willing to help. Rooms are spacious and offer a comfortable stay. Language barrier can be an issue sometimes but guest relation officers are really helpful and accommodating.

Italian restaurant on the second floor is really nice. However, breakfast and dinner buffet have room for improvement in terms of selection. Business lounge is quiet and convenient. Overall, it was a pleasant experience staying there. Thanks to entire Sheraton staff. Would definitely recommend this hotel for business or leisure.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
Sheraton H, Online Distribution Manager at Sheraton Hohhot Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2013

Dear Sidharth A:

Thank you very much for sharing your wonderful comments with our friends here on tripadvisor.com. We truly appreciate your time and effort to let us know about your experience with us during your stay at Sheraton Hohhot Hotel.

Reviewed 31 July 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights as our base to explore Hohhot and the grasslands. The suite that we were upgraded to was faultless. The hotel staff were very obliging and helpful with the directions and recommendations for restaurants and places to visit. As the hotel is new, the club lounge is relatively empty and great for relaxing after a tired day out. The service staff at the lounge deserve a thumbs up for being very attentive and accomodating to our requests.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Sheraton H, Online Distribution Manager at Sheraton Hohhot Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2013

Dear guest, thank you very much for letting us know how we did during your recent stay in Sheraton Hohhot Hotel and we are glad that you rated us so highly. We appreciate your valuable feedback and your voice has been delivered to the hotel management. We look forward to your next visit and look forward in providing future renewing stays.

Reviewed 1 May 2013

It's a little difficult to rate this as the hotel is certainly above 'average' in many respects but the niggles prevent it from attaining 'very good'. Decor wise it is very well maintained overall, and generally speaking the rooms are comfortable, spacious and extremely pleasant. Wifi works without unnecessary form filling, amenities are of a good standard, and the place is very clean. Check in and out has been efficient and the staff seem very hospitable.
The things which disappointed me were the leisure facilities and catering service. Whilst the pool is of an exceptional size for a hotel, it was much too cold for my comfort when I visited. In addition, both jacuzzis and the steam room were out of action. The sauna had a bit of a pong to it and although it was up to speed I was surprised to find that there were no towels provided to sit on inside. Indeed, apart from the towels provided in the locker there were no others available in the public area; no towels or robes anywhere to be seen. Thus, after exiting the pool, sauna, shower or whatever you basically, if you didn't take take it with you in the first place, had to tramp back to the locker area dripping with wet or sweat to get the apparently rationed linen. It wasn't that busy when I was there but I also had to queue up for a shower because the number of cubicles is extremely limited. Additionally, I found the choice of decor here to be ill-advised. These small mother of pearl tiles just appear drab and dirty to me and I wasn't convinced that such an appearance was just a deception.
As for the catering, my comments are based only upon the breakfast offerings which, overall, I have to say were quite disappointing. I really don't like wasting food but on this occasion I couldn't help but leave uneaten a whole plateful of stuff. The breads were not fresh and the toast was doughy and I had the hardest portion of baked beans I've ever come across; really, they were like ball-bearings and not at all as hot as they should have been. A young girl came around offering croissants, which I thought was quite good - but they were cold. Not sure what the point of that ideas. Floppy half cooked bacon and fried eggs left to go cold, no thanks. Coffee was ok, but not as good as you'd really expect. Very disappointing.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Qupnicely
Sheraton H, Online Distribution Manager at Sheraton Hohhot Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2013

Thank you for taking time to review our property on TripAdvisor. Your voice has been pass to the hotel management team.Please contact our Sales and Marketing team if there is any problem when stay in our hotel, we will work it out as soon as possible.
May you have a nice stay at Sheraton Hohhot Hotel, next time.

Reviewed 1 December 2012

I arranged a business meeting here in July.From check in to check out and beyond we had problems. I travel extensively in Asia and understand flexibility is required. The issues were promises made and not kept, lack of timely responses to requests, and a general inability to follow through. There are several better alternatives in the area for foreigners traveling here on business.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank 5bob9
Sheraton H, Online Distribution Manager at Sheraton Hohhot Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2012

Hi Bob,

Thank you for taking time to review our property on TripAdvisor. Your voice has been pass to the hotel management team.Please contact our Sales and Marketing team if there is any problem when you are hold an activity in our hotel, we will work it out as soon as possible.
May you have a nice stay at Sheraton Hohhot Hotel, next time.

Kind regards!

Reviewed 21 October 2012

My friend and I stay one night before heading to the grassland. The hotel has a nice lobby with an internet corner. We like the room decor and comfy beds for the pleasant night sleep. Also, there is a see-through glass from the bathroom from the bed - great for couples. It also comes with a separate study table complete with ample socket points for your electronic devices. We had a late lunch at the all-day dining restaurant after check-in, they serve a good mix of variety. We also had dinner at the Italian restuarant with a nice ambience and attentive staff. The in-house spa is really good with quality service and prices are reasonable. Overall, we had an enjoyable stay in hohhot. Glad we made the right choice.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Sheraton H, Online Distribution Manager at Sheraton Hohhot Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2012

Dear guest, thank you very much for letting us know how we did during your recent stay in Sheraton Hohhot Hotel and we are glad that you do have a nice stay here. We appreciate your valuable feed back and your voice has been delivered to the hotel management. We look forward to your next visit and look forward in providing future renewing stays.