“Decent food”

Ranked #9 of 790 Restaurants in Suzhou
Price range: US$10 - US$30
Cuisines: European, French, Fusion
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Paradox French Restaurant is a cozy and traditionnal French restaurant managed by French owners. With an elegant, fresh and healthy traditionnal French cuisine, we will help make your evening a delightment. The huge wine cellar will allow you to pair your dinning experience with the best wines from the world
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

Service is above standard in China, food was excellent. Well-prepared steak, lovely sauce and veggies. Good wine selection. Prices acceptable. French manager works hard for guests. Will return when back in Suzhou.

Reviewed 17 May 2014

After seeing the high ratings on Trip Advisor my husband (who is French) and I were compelled to try Bistronomy. First of all - we followed the map on Trip Advisor, which brought us to the wrong end of the street (make sure you remove the "No." in front of the address, and are watching the direction of the numbers). We finally did arrive - Bistronomy is cute, trendy and indeed has a French feel about it. We started with the Foie Gras. The foie gras itself was fine, but it was served with a toasted slice of that carboard-like and sweet Chinese bread, which by the way, makes excellent breakfast French Toast, but contrasted very displeasingly with the Foie Gras. We would have much preferred toasted baguette (which can be found in Suzhou if Bistronomy does not want to make their own). My husband ordered the Tuna and Crispy potatoes. While the sesame crust of the Tuna looked nice, the tuna itself was flavourless. The "crispy potatoes" were pre-made hashbrown triangles, deep fried (like the kind you get at a all you can eat breakfast buffet). No vegetables accompanied the meal. I ordered the Candied Duck Cottage Pie. I am still pondering what was candied about the duck. It was a very thin layer of plain shredded duck, topped with a huge mound of mashed potato, and garnished with about 12 arugula leaves and one thinly sliced mushroom. With a gin and tonic and a Tsingtao our meal came to 427 RMB. Overall we felt our meal was reminiscent of a cafeteria, or Air France, perhaps but the price reflected a much higher quality than what we actually received. However, I am giving my review 3 stars instead of 1 or 2, because the new owner was attentive, friendly and hopefully will positively receive this criticism. My suggestion to Bistronomy would be to get some assistance with their menu from a professional, and then test their dishes with a select group who knows French food and would be willing to give them a honest critique.

4  Thank Jennifer W
Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

My friend in Shanghai invite me to have aunch there. I like the environment, very clean and stylish.

I ordered a salad that is good, fresh and good taste. For the main organic chicken is very juice and love the taste

Sure I will come again with my friends and relatives.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

I recently took my visiting family to Bistronomy in Suzhou, all buoyed up and inspired by a previous experience there.The last time I had piled in with my friends, all lured as we were by an advert declaring a 'French Film Night'. Even though this turned out to be nothing more than a small television perched on the bar, the three-course set meal and accompanying wines proved to be a hit. Quality. This second occasion was nothing short of a disaster, however. Everything that could have gone wrong, in terms of service and food quality, did go wrong. We were honestly baffled by the number of service hiccups, from the wrong drinks arriving first off, to terribly long waits for both drinks and water, to unfulfilled promises to come back to help stabilise the (very very) wobbly tables, to an inexplicably large bill at the end of it all, which turned out to belong to the much larger table of seemingly happy revellers behind us! I rarely (never actually!) feel motivated to write about poor service anywhere, but I think this restaurant needs to be very careful not to assume a following; ex-pat or otherwise; purely based on a kind of 'French-ish' ambience, and a quirky downtown-style kudos. Nor should they be smug about the seemingly unreliable notion of 'French cuisine' taking place here, simply because there is one (surprisingly young) French chef on board. He is backed up by a troupe of Chinese kitchen staff and I wonder if that is partly where things get lost in culinary translation....? But let's not blame this wholly on the locals. Rare as this kind of complaint may be for me, it cannot be as 'rare' as the lamb shanks we ordered which we could not cut even with very sharp knives due to the sinewy uncooked pink membrane around them. They were the most unpleasant pieces of food I have ever seen on a plate and when the waiter saw we could not eat them he should have had the decency to take them off the bill. Instead we had a free dessert...but guess what...that was very underwhelming and I have tasted better from my local Chinese mini-mart. Never again for me.....but for Bistronomy ...? Well I just hope they seriously get their act together and stop the very sloppy pretense, or should I say 'pretence'...?

Reviewed 26 April 2014

We came across Bistronomy while exploring the neighborhood near our hotel (Garden Hotel Suzhou, a very nice hotel). We were first surprised to find a French restaurant in the local neighborhood and then pleasantly surprised to be warmly greeted by the owner upon entering. The food was excellently presented and tasty, the best western meal we had in our three week, four city trip in China ( the other was pizza at Jimmy's in Nanjing). We cannot overemphasize the attention we were provided by the owner who explained the menu, told us how he came to be in Suzhou and who also had a member of his staff who write out, in Chinese character sh and English, various sites in the city. The only downside if our visit were the profiteroles which did not match the quality of the rest of our meal. All in all, however, we found Bistronomy to be a wonderland and surprising find.