“Most delicate and finest restaurant in Suzhou”
Review of La Marina Restaurant & Lounge - CLOSED

La Marina Restaurant & Lounge
Price range: US$20 - US$50
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Description: First and only fine dining establishment built on the ancient canals of Suzhou. Dine here and hop onto a 70mins ancient canals night cruise from the pier right next to us. Featuring fresh food recipes: Australian Wagyu Beef, Iberico Ham, and other classic Continental and Asian dishes to enhance your canal gastronomic experience.
Suzhou, China
“Most delicate and finest restaurant in Suzhou”
Reviewed 25 May 2013 via mobile

We went yesterday night in this restaurant for the first time, we were little bit worried as trying a new restaurant, supposedly high class in Suzhou, usually ends up as a disappointing experience This time, the food, service and atmosphere reached our expectation. They really made a big effort regarding the decoration as well as the table dressing. The music, electro lounge style was at the perfect sound level. Regarding food, they served very delicate and good quality food: we had the iberico ham, the shrimp and scallop starter (perhaps little bit dry as they use frozen raw material I guess, my cod was delicious and my husband had the sirloin steak which was thin but very tasty then dessert were very tasty too. Their wine list is quite impressive but they have not so many moderate price wine (around 400 to 600 Rmb). They have very expensive wine that will satisfied the Chinese but not foreigners. The restaurant was empty yesterday, it was a shame. Unfortunately, the only customers were a bunch of drunken Chinese playing dice loudly in the lounge section. We really think the dice game is not appropriate in this kind of place. The place is too classy to allow drinking parties....anyway, the experience was a success and we will try again as we consider it is the highest class restaurant in Suzhou for fining western dining. My only recommendation to the chef would be to introduce something different in their menu as this menu is déjà vu, even if his cooking performance is higher than any place. The iPad menu is great except that they should introduce in detail the dish and the wine when clicking on the picture (it is a detail). we hope the place will make it as the location is out of SIP and even out of the beaten path of downtown.

Visited May 2013

Montreal, Canada
“A very good change”
Reviewed 11 May 2013

We went to La Marina because had read about it on tripadvisor.

The entrance is nice lined with Champagne bottles. The interior decoration - WOW! They have spent a lot of money on the interior. The bar is huge and very nice.

You order the food off ipads. The waiters and the manager speak English - in most of the restaurants in SIP they speak in English but in Suzhou City none do, so it was a nice change.

The location of the restaurant is in a nice location with a lot place for parking. There was a wedding dinner so half of the restaurant was busy with the function but we did not hear any of the usual loud music which was great!

The food was nice - the club sandwich is the best we have eaten anywhere, the grilled salmon was cooked in butter - very good, the fried rice was nice too. The dessert - banana split was nice but on top they put cherry tomatoes. It was not a good combination but other than that the food was Excellent!

The washrooms are very nice with an LCD TV. Though there exists the bad smell in the washroom area. But I guess that it is every where in china because they do not install traps. The other thing I did not find right was the amount of light as the sinks. But overall ok. They even had a tub in one of the washrooms.

One thing I must say about Tony the manager of the restaurant - he was running around and working with the waitresses bringing food to the tables being a leader and not a boss. Way to go - Good leadership quality.

• Visited May 2013
Suzhou, China
“Relax and forget the stresses of living in Suzhou @ La Marina”
Reviewed 10 May 2013

I can highly recommend the experience of dinning at La Marina.

The food was excellant!

The portions were larger than we initally anticipated and came delivered as ART on a plate.

The overall atmosphere and dining experience A+ you really do forget you are still in Suzhou

I am back again tomorrow night with more friends and I will update this review at a later date.

Get along and support this fine establishment because there are none I can think of in Suzhou to compare it with....

Pacifica
“Beautiful restaurant, horrible food, stinky bathroom”
Reviewed 28 April 2013 via mobile

I went there last night because of these rave reviews. The place was nearly empty on a Saturday from 7:30 to 9:30 pm. We sat at a great table that has windows on three sides. You order off of iPads, but somehow this caused us to get to get an appetizer we didn't order. We didn't each much of it because the prosciutto tasted off. The pepperoni was good. I don't eat bologna. My meat was half the length and width as pictured on the iPad. All the meat was tough. My friends shrimp was decent and the scallop I ate was good. The wine was decent. The bill was huge and the chef knew it because he came out and asked how was the food and what could he do better, and then we got a plate of mamahuhu macrones. This did not make up for the meat or the expense. Interesting place, but I won't go there again. Prepare yourself for the intense, horrific smell in the bathroom. Though it's called "La Marina," there is no view of the water. There is also a huge aquarium with no fish. The wall of champagne bottles makes a nice entrance, but the rest of the experience is just weird and depressing and hard on your teeth.

• Visited April 2013
JoeThong, Public Relations Manager at La Marina Restaurant & Lounge, responded to this review, 1 May 2013
Hi Dingos8Baby,

We are deeply sorry to hear you were not fully satisfied with our experience here. In fact, I was very distraught to hear of your unpleasant experience with us and have personally spoken to relevant department heads about your feedback and comments. We will try to avoid specific bad cases like this happening again in the future.

Please accept my sincerest apologies for this incident and I hope that on your next visit to La Marina you will allow us the opportunity to redeem your faith in La Marina.

Regards
Joe
Suzhou, China
“Go and see for yourself!”
Reviewed 24 April 2013

I'm going to keep this short because I think previous reviews have said it all. The food, delicious! The service, excellent! The atmosphere, inviting! The décor, elegant! .....and for the quality of food you get the price is very reasonable.

Go and see for yourself!