“Exquisite work”

5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Exquisite work”
Reviewed 15 March 2012

We were taken to this research institute as part of a day's excursion to Suzhou. It includes the ubiquitous shop which displays some exquisite work - from student to master embroiderer. We bought a double-sided piece which we managed to negotiate a hefty discount on(!). The piece was well packed and survived the journey home packed inside our suitcase. The mastery of the needlework has to be seen to be believed. It was not allowed to take photos in the institute - but there was not a postcard to be seen which demonstrated the work - surprising for the enterprising chinese! A visit not to be missed

Visited February 2012
2 Thank Tigermum48

California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Amazing embroidery.. but pricey”
Reviewed 10 April 2011

This venue was on our group tour. I bought a small framed embroidery of goldfish because I loved it even tho it was pricey. Later on I saw the same embroidery (unframed) in several shops in Suzhou at a fraction of the cost I had paid. Of course the Institute "guarantees" my piece was made by them. Our tour guide said the other pieces may or may not have been made by the same person. I had to remind myself that what I was buying was the China experience at that moment.. otherwise I would have beaten myself up at vastly overpaying!

Visited March 2011
2 Thank beehive
Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Loved it- can't wait to go back”
Reviewed 10 August 2005

My husband and I were there in February and bought a beautiful silk embroidery which we had shipped back home. Unfortunately, it arrived damaged- the glass in the frame had broken and ripped through the glass. The people at the Institute could not have been more wonderful. They replaced the embroidery ( each one is handmade and we had to wait for it to be completed- six months) and we now have it in our possession. This time we had it shipped without a frame or glass which is my suggestion to you. You will want to reframe it anyway using UV Plexi to protect the silk, so skip the frame. They even sent us a lovely embroidery as a gift to thank us for our patience. Expensive, but you won't find anything like it in the U.S.

6 Thank chinamom