“The campers make the campground.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Andover
Panther Lake Camping Resort
“The campers make the campground.”
Reviewed 30 July 2013 via mobile

Well, initially I reviewd this place on their Facebook page. Needless to say these people can't handle the truth. So here we go. This trip started as my wife and I with our dog in my 38' motorhome but grew to my buddy and his three kids coming for just Saturday night. The front desk wanted to charge him and his kids for two nights because they were not on the original reservation. We called [--] on that and after a fight it was agreed they will pay for one night. Remember this is a 38' mh, not tents. During the day Saturday the place filled up all around us with many tents on sites. 6 tents on 2 sites. 25+ of the rudest Hispanic people with a tribe of children. The real problem began once they started playing loud, inappropriate music, which we asked them to turn down, as did security 3 more times. Overall, place is very nice, campsites are on top of each other. Perm sites are nicely manicured. Will not return here ever again.

• Stayed July 2013
7 Thank Ccrawfo

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey
Reviewed 25 July 2013

I have been a seasonal camper for over 15 years, have always paid my bill (or clearly would have been made to leave the property) They charge 18% on running balances (pretty much loan sharking) and the office feels the need to harass good people that have always paid by now sending threatening letters to shut off electric if they have not pain in full by August 1, when in fact the property is open until November 1 and should be paid in full by that time. This has never been an issue before, many seasonal people have left because of they treatment they have received and many more are leaving just drive around see all of the empty sites and how many are for sale this is a clear indication of something not working in their favor. Cable is part of your "seasonal fee" however it rarely works and when it is out you will not receive a credit. At one time this was a wonderful place to come, the new staff is un-wanting of good people it is a shame.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank sandy v

Travellers are raving about these Andover hotels

Hampstead, Maryland
Reviewed 22 July 2013

My family and I have been to Panther Lake many, many times. My children mostly love the olympic size pool (with an 18" deep kiddie pool right next to it), the playground and riding their bikes. There are many activities planned from May - October, our favorite are the events during Columbus Day weekend. The staff are all friendly and extremely accommodating. You only have to ask for something and they will do their best. One time when we first started camping here we made our reservation late for Columbus Day weekend and asked for the site right next to our friends. The office manager told me that the site was already reserved so she gave us the next one over. To my surprise and happiness, she had asked the other people if they would be willing to move when they checked in and they did so. This may not sound like a big deal, but to a camper it is. I know I like to pick out what I consider to be my "perfect" site. The activities are fun for kids and are mostly free (things like ceramics are extra but they let you know that ahead of time).

We have a camper so I don't usually use the public bathhouses but I do from time to time and there is room for improvement. Some have cobwebs, bugs, etc. Not surprising when camping but they could be swept out a little more often.

I don't know about these "ciggers" other people are mentioning. We seem to find the same level of buginess here as anywhere else.

I have also been told by friends that they have camped in areas where it is loud quite late, but I only experienced that once.

We really love Panther Lake and will continue to camp here!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank BloodHoundGang2012
Budd Lake, New Jersey, USA
Reviewed 16 July 2013

First of all, we had no problems with Chiggers and sounds like the person who posted the "cigger" comment has allergies or . This place is in the woods, so you will have bugs, use OFF when walking around at night.

We stayed here twice, 2 weekends, so far this summer and are going back again for 2 more in August since we really enjoyed it. My wife asked a ton of questions before we even signed up and the staff was VERY friendly, patient, and accommodating.

We stayed in one of their rental trailers. These are small mobile homes that sleep 4-5 people. I must say, I can be one nitpicky [--] and I really loved it, especially when we got the brand new one with wood floors (well, wood floor laminate). The trailers were both clean, well stocked with kitchen utensils, and air-conditioned. We used the charcoal grill, enjoyed a campfire (you need to buy their wood), and went fishing. Great fishing both in the lake for everyone and Bambi Pond for little kids. We caught lots of small throw-back fish. We also rented a rowboat and kayaks. Prices are good for rentals and at the gift shop. They even had .35 cent popsicles, the root beer flavor ones were great.

We played Bingo, played catch on their fields, mini-golf, playground, did ceramics, balloon class, and did lots of swimming. The pool was surprisingly nice and clean considering one of the weekends was 4th of July and it was packed. They also have basketball courts, tennis, and an adult Jacuzzi. Next time I will bring our bikes. You can ride around the grounds and there's also an awesome Rail Trail across the street from the grounds called the Sussex Branch Trail.

I was worried there would be a bunch of riff-raff like you see at Tomahawk Lake, but it wasn't like that at all. Everyone was nice and not obnoxious.

Anything bad? I did think they charged a lot for firewood. $7 for a small bundle. You'd think after Hurricane Sandy they'd be giving away wood with all the downed trees in the area. The wood lasted longer than I thought it would though. Also, I didn't like the linoleum floors in the first trailer, I'd recommend you bring a couple throw rugs.

Like I said, this place ain't the Ritz. There are some year-round residents and a few ramshackled looking trailers that may seem scummy to the vane "high-on-the-hill" snobby types. But if you're down to earth, you'll enjoy it. Funny thing too, we searched all over NW NJ for a campground and chose Panther Lake which is 5 miles from our home.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank iGot1i
New Jersey
Reviewed 2 September 2012

My biggest mistake was coming without reading the tripadvisor reviews. Someone wrote " The place was infested with ciggers, Nobody had ever heard of these things. You dont see them, but they bite leaving a welt and a blister like bump. Taking 7-10 days to heal The bites are awful and so sore. 13 out of 20 of us" THIS IS SO TRUE!!! I had never heard of this critters. We rented a cabin over the long weekend and cut our trip short because my daughter and I have these painful bites caused by "CIGGER". I thought they were mosquito bite but when I got home and did some research I learned something new. WHen we went to leave early they did not even bother to ask us why. The bathroom were Awful. I understand camping is rough but this place takes it to a totally different level. STAY AWAY ... NOT WORTH THE TRIP. Really awful .

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank janet67
Brick, New Jersey
Reviewed 27 August 2012

I visited the campground yesterday and thought the lake was nice. The information about the seasonal rates and a map was provided. I asked a ton of questions then headed on to look at what sites were available. The roads are awful and ripped up badly. Markings were not good enough to find to see what the lot numbers are and there were several very old trailers that looked like they should be carted out. Anyway, I was quoted one price going in and then when I said I was interested the price went up hundreds of dollars. I don't think we can afford the rate or even if we could I think the rate was too high for such an area that has nothing to do other then go to bars in the area. There was quite a few sites available, maybe 1/3 were opened and the season is still running. I did not check out the pavilion or bathrooms. The sites were small I thought and there are people that make it look cheap and trashy due to crap on their site like plastic decorations and old beat up sheds and cider blocks, old trailers. Hope this helps. The lake is nice to look at but no lots are on the lake. Why I don't know. If it were my property I would use the view and charge more for the sites to make more money. They did have sport type game areas and a nice pool area.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank barb732
East Rutherford, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed 6 August 2012

This was our second camping trip in two years. We had three campsites all together. We were next to the pool, and within walking distance to the basketball/tennis/volley ball courts, and garbage area. The swimming pool's bathroom was a few meters away from our site, and easily accesible. We all camped in tents, ate food off of grills, and enjoyed being with family and friends for 4 days. Our time away went too quickly, all the children had a great time - they are all ready asking to go back another time. All the staff were very friendly, and very helpful. We all knew going camping, was exactly that - camping! We dealt with the bugs, and night sounds... I would recommend anyone to go there, as long as you know camping isn't in a five star hotel room.... We all had a great time!!!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Andover
Residence Inn Mt. Olive at International Trade Center
#1 of 2 in Mount Arlington
Super 8 Budd Lake
Super 8 Budd Lake
#1 of 4 in Budd Lake

Been to Panther Lake Camping Resort? Share your experiences!