“Service with a smile”

Ranked #23 of 1,214 Hotels in Dalian
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Service with a smile”
Reviewed 26 June 2013

I have stayed at business hotels in a number of different cities in Asia. The standard here is comparable with most of its class. Pretty comfortable rooms and the standard is OK - getting tired perhaps. The food is good if you like Asian food (and I do). Level of English was fine but better still the staff were all friendly and helpful. You may get a better place down town but this was pretty convenient for the airport and I enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Peter B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2013

I've stayed in this hotel four times so far this year (2013) and found the level of English to be more than adequate for a non-Chinese speaker. Rooms generally clean, although during my trip in April when the temperature had risen to 28degC they did not turn on the building aircon as it was too early in the year for it, ignoring the heat.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 February 2013 via mobile

The staff are terrible at speaking english
I asked for soap and they brought soup! I litterally had to pantomime soap and shampoo to the receptionist!the room is clean and luxurious. The tv reception was bad and even though the hotel was empty the receptionist refused to upgrade us to a bay view room.

• Stayed February 2013
3 Thank lotfimahsa
Shenyang, China
Reviewed 8 September 2012

my first stay here some years ago was very nice. everything was clean, the rooms tidy.
Now it would be time for change the complete interior. The carpets are dirty, the sofa was full with ink. unfortunately i had a look under the bed: dirty, dusty, used slipers from former guests.
The breakfast was a little bit like war, the complete restaurant overcrowded and because of this also a little dirty.
The translation of the elevator instructions into english was wrong. If you follow them you wont find your way to your floor.
The location is good, close by the beach and xing hai square.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Zetti23
Austin, TX
Reviewed 21 August 2012

First of all, the carpet is dirty and smelly. Then, they have unfriendly staff. The room is old and shabby. I slept for a few hours and had to find another hotel. Booked a room at the Hilton. Couldn't wait and left at 5 a.m.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 4 November 2011

For an international hotel, you would expect that some of the staff would have a handle on English however that was not the case. if i never had my Chinese friend with me i would be completely lost.

The rooms are OK however room service was very slow and sometimes took up to 4 attempts just to order food.

The laundry service was OK however trying to explain to the girl over the phone your laundry requirements was an absolute nightmare.

An average hotel however a fair distance away from the city centre.

I would recommend that you stay at the Intercontinental in the city.

Room Tip: Don't stay here, especially if you are a foreign visitor, head to the city centre, same price ro...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
Hong Kong
Reviewed 18 August 2011

The view from our Executive Sea View Room would have been lovely, but in our short stay it became the Fog View Room.
Not surprisingly when I searched Tripadvisor for reviews of this hotel, I could only find Chinese reviews. The hotel is geared towards Chinese customers. Hardly any of the staff speaks English, the non-Chinese food at the Western Restaurant is hit and miss, and hardly any of the wait staff had even heard of wine. There was a wall of it in the restaurant, by the way. The girls in the bar had no idea how to make a gin and tonic. I should point out that we were making our requests in Chinese. Lots of confusion at the reception desk with check out due to our extending our stay for one day (we did this 2 weeks earlier). At check in, we had to pay 4000 RMB each day for the 1800RMB room, and yet we still had to make the restaurants and bar phone reception when we tried to charge to our room. The routine was, we would charge to our room, wait person would come back and say we must pay, we would send wait person to phone reception, wait person would come back and apologise. This happened 3 times. Another time we were in the beer garden and after 10 minutes waiting I had to suggest I go up to the 25th floor and get the wine list myself (which was apparently where it was). I could go on.
Japanese restaurant was nice (perfect sushi). Can't comment on the hotel breakfast, we didn't go (our room had one free breakfast but you had to pay for a second, 110RMB, nice touch).
This hotel charges 5 star prices, and almost has the look, but cannot provide the service. They obviously give their staff minimal training, and I would presume minimal wages.
Our stay here was a frustrating experience. If you can speak Chinese well and don't drink then this hotel is OK.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple