“this place has changed for the better”

InterContinental Hotel Dalian
Ranked #7 of 1,235 Hotels in Dalian
Reviewed 4 June 2014

i once swore i would never go to that hotel again and i know lots of other people who dislike it with a passion. but haven't things changed!

a new european manager has definitely improved this place in a major way. there is actually concern for the guest by the staff now and they go out of their way to help you, unlike before when a guest was a pain in the rear end for staff...

the service is good, breakfast on 6th floor fantastic with a wide choice, kevin yuan at the concierge desk is diamond (as always) and even the reception staff are great now. the rooms are good and clean. should be noted the hotel is in a great location with lots of shops and restaurants within walking distance as is the train station. just be aware that in the new-mart mall - nothing to do with the hotel- they have just setup some outside restaurants. i recommend you photograph the weight of your seafood as they have some rather creative accounting based on weight.

I tip my hat to the new GM Mr Knussi (i hope i spelled that correctly) as he has brought the hotel back to intercontinental standard from the two star rat hole it was before. i now would recommend this hotel as a place to stay in Dalian

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Truly Y, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental Hotel Dalian, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at InterContinental Dalian.

We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our service improvement implemented by Mr. Knussi, our GM, made your stay experience more memorable.

Meanwhile, we are pleased to know that you appreciated our convenient location, good service, variety of breakfast, concierge & reception staff and clean room, some aspect of our hotel that is preferred by many of our guests.

We will continue to strive in delivering quality services, allowing our guests' to indulge in the best they deserve.

Thank you again for your feedback and support and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Thank you!

Reviewed 30 May 2014

This hotel has great rooms and a great Italian restaurant which serves a delicious pizza and excellent wines. Service was of a very professional standard. Rooms are spacious with a large bathroom with powerful showers. Great nights sleep and not too pricey.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Truly Y, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental Hotel Dalian, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Dear July

We are pleased to know that you appreciated our spacious room, large bathroom, delicious Piccolo Food and its pizza’s and excellent wines. We are delighted to know that our staff and service helped in making your visit enjoyable. Your encouraging review will help us constantly improve our quality even further as we hope to exceed over and beyond our guest expectations.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

I had the hotel car come to pick me up and was greeted with a sign with my name on it, the driver took my suitcase, loaded it in the new minivan and then...handed me a cold cloth on a tray, followed by a bowl of chilled dragon fruit chunks with a toothpick! So nice after a hot flight :) I was greeted at the door upon arrival where they took my bags and waited while I checked in - with a cup of complimentary tea - to my upgraded room!

The bedding was extremely comfortable -gorgeous, plush; the room was HUGE with a couch and table, desk with two huge chairs, a chaise lounge, giant flat screen and amazing bathroom with a standalone tub overlooking Friendship Square. Real proper hairdryer and nice toiletries, along with TWO robe options (summer and winter) rounded out all the comforts.

Room Tip: 1703 seemed to be a large corner room with views on 3 sides (over Friendship Square from the bathroo...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank shezswan
Truly Y, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental Hotel Dalian, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us.

We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and our concierge service and limousine service made your stay experience more memorable. Also, we are pleased to know that you appreciated our comfortable bed, huge room, amazing bathroom and nice facilities, the aspect of our hotel that is preferred by many of our guests. Your encouraging review will help us constantly improve our quality even further as we hope to exceed over and beyond our guest expectations.

Once again, we look forward to your next stay with us and continuous support in the near future. Thank you!

Reviewed 24 May 2014

I plan a family trip to Dalian for three free nights earned last year. It turned out to be a good decision. :)

The service really impressed me right from check-in. While I was doing check-in and my parents waiting nearby, the manager greeted my parents in Mandarin and asked if we were coming together. When he confirmed they didn't need any help for check in, he made tea for my parents. I only knew this story after we settled down, but all these details gave a really good mood to us before we starts our trip in Dalian.

We were arranged in a room with nice view, I had seen nice sunset from the room.

The location is convenient to everywhere (though Dalian is not a big city), we can always find the direction easily with the big ball in the Friendship Plaza. There is a street full of sea food restaurants around the corner. And you can have a 5 minutes' walk to visit Zhongshan Plaza at night with lights on. My parents got up really early to visit Japanese street before the city woke up.

WIFI in guestroom needs to be improved, as there is limitation of the connecting devices. We had issues when my father and I have iphone/ipad surfing at the same time.

And the staff is not so familiar with the facilities. I found my iphone cannot feed the sound to Bose speaker. When the staff came to room for help, she had no idea at all, and finally I found out the IN line is connected to wrong place and fixed. There should be some engineer to help in this cases, instead of some housekeeping lady.

Overall, this is really a nice hotel that I would definitely recommend to friends.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your stay with us at InterContinental Dalian.

We are very glad to know that our staff and service helped in making your visit enjoyable. We are pleased to know that you appreciated the location of our hotel and nice view of huge room, aspect of our hotel that is preferred by many of our guests.

Feedback like WIFI speed and Bose system training to our staff for our room facilities is very valuable to us and enables us to monitor our standards, which on this occasion regretfully has failed to meet your expectations.

Meanwhile, we take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations.

Thank you once again, we look very much forward to welcoming you back in the future. Thank you!

Reviewed 23 May 2014

This hotel is well located for tourism. The breakfast quality is very good.

But I think the service of the hotel (especially the reception) is really poor, and doesn't follow the InterContinental standard. I give an example. AfterI checked in, the lady (maybe she was busy then) in the reception didn't hand the room cards to me. Instead, she threw them to the desk very rudely and asked me to pick them up. Can everybody imagine that?

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank CatSkunk

Dear Guest,

We were pleased to note that you appreciated our convenient location and good breakfast, aspect of our hotel that is preferred by many of our guests.

We would like to take this opportunity to apologize for reception service and the way the key card was handed to you which is not our service standard, and the necessary training will be arranged right away. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

We look forward to hearing from you and to welcoming you back to InterContinental Dalian in the near future. Thank you!

Reviewed 28 April 2014

I expected to get a toned down experience in this hotel, given it's not a BIG city in China terms.
from Check-in to room, to service...what a surprise!
Check in was easy, friendly and smooth.
My single room was HUGE and very well appointed, from amenities to mini-bar to a proper hair dryer!
the Room Service menu is refreshing and varied. Lot's of options with photos, and the Kids menu was a refreshing take on the typical boring 'Chicken Nuggets' default.
The bathroom was positively huge and over the top, and all in all a lovely Hotel at a great corporate price.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Truly Y, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental Hotel Dalian, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us.

We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our huge room and bathroom made your stay experience more memorable. Meanwhile, we are also very glad to know that our staff and service helped in making your visit enjoyable.

We were pleased to note that you appreciated our room service menu. Your encouraging review will help us constantly improve our services, and we will continue to strive in delivering quality services, allowing our guests' to indulge in the best they deserve.

Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

I want to the Intercontinental Dalian to escape smog, traffic to relax with a nice coffee. So I thought. That was the worst China experience so far. I had the worst cafe late I have ever tasted in my life, with a price tag of 48 RMB ($9), served by the most rude staff I have come across, sitting on the most ridiculous chairs that will break your back after 10 minutes. Not worth it. Avoid at all cost.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Truly Y, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental Hotel Dalian, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience at InterContinental Dalian.

We are very sorry to learn that you have had an unpleasant coffee experience at our hotel.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience had caused. We have shared your feedback to concerning colleagues and for sure, they will make a study from it.

Kindly be advised that my email address is truly.yu@intercontidl.com, and we would appreciate you very much if you could contact us separately. We wish to understand further your coffee experience and it is rather important for us to improve our services and product quality.

Many thanks once again for your valuable comments.

We look forward to welcoming you at our hotel in your next visit.