“great stay and excellent for long stayers”

Somerset Harbour Court Dalian
Ranked #25 of 1,235 Hotels in Dalian
Reviewed 7 June 2013

Only here for one night and decided to give the Somerset a try as the usual hotels i have stayed at were coming up at silly prices..over GBP100!! i was really pleasently surprised - the room was a HUGE one bedroom apartment complete with kitchen so making it ideal for longstays if you did not really want to have a hotel room to live in. The wi fi was good, everything was cleana nd really nothing to complain. Breakfast for adequate for me but I am not a bug breakie person but i could see that for some, althoughthere was a selection for both western and oriental, it may not have been to the usual selection of a standard hotel.
I would defianlay consider coming back here again - it was an absolute bargain for what i paid

Room Tip: ask for a harbour view
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank mooer

Reviewed 30 March 2013

This is one hotel which gives you the feel of your home with all services & facilities you can ask for. It has large spacious 1 & 2 bed room apartments which are equipped with washing machine, microwave, etc. An ideal choce for those who are here for a long stay.

Room Tip: rooms facing renmin road give a view of the harbour too
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Rahul D
Reviewed 19 November 2012

I have stayed here on two visits now to Dalian and these apartments are great.

They are situated on Renmin Road one of the key thoroughfares of Dalian directly opposite the Shangri-La and Furama hotels.

The apartments are spacious, clean and have a nice atmosphere to them.

On both visits I have had different apartments one facing Renmin Road and the other facing the back of the hotel and both have been excellent.

However it is the staff that make the stay so pleasant. I rarely name check people in my reviews but Fairy, Winnie and Vicky and all the staff at Somerset Court are a credit to the Ascott Group and deserve that recognition.

As an alternative to the more expensive hotels close by the Somerset is superb. It doesn't have the bars, restaurants and night clubs of the big hotels but what it has are great rooms and great customer service and if you are staying somewhere for a week or more that is a great thing to have on your side.

Room Tip: Make contact with the hotel before you arrive for check-in - it is worth it because they will alread...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank sweetville
Reviewed 23 September 2012

Generally fine, and I'd stay again. But some important things for others to know/consider: First, the location: note that the entrance is not actually ON Renmin Road, it is on a small side street behind Renmin Rd, running parallel to it. (Basically, the entrance is at the rear side of the block forming 55 Renmin Rd, and you'll see a big blue 'Somerset' sign above the door). Best is to tell taxi driver to aim for the Shangri La hotel and the Somerset is in big building directly opposite (then on street behind, as just mentioned). As with elsewhere in China, you'll need the hotel name/address written in Chinese for taxi drivers (email or Google hotel directly to get that). You enter a small lobby that looks like an apartment building, then just take lift to 17th floor, where hotel reception is. We arrived very late (about 1am) and the receptionist was efficient but utterly charmless. She spoke reasonable English, but bizzarely insisted on speaking it to my Chinese wife too! The room itself (2303) was a pretty nice big studio apartment, with one Queen bed divided off from the rest by a large wardrobe unit. Amazingly for China, the bed was not too hard, and quite comfy. Good quality furnishings, and all clean and not at all run-down as some others have commented. No smell of cigarette smoke at all. I'd say it was the equivalent of a good 4-star hotel. The open kitchen area had microwave, electric hob, Siemens washer (and drying!) machine, plus fold-out clothes dryer, iron & ironing board, and large fridge/freezer. Only minimal utensils, crockery, but fine for two. I didn't see any pots/pans, but assume you could get these on request. Also a round glass-topped dining table and two chairs. The living area had 3-seater sofa and coffee table, and plenty of menus/info about nearby restaurants etc (more on that later). Nice new Philips flat screen TV, with about 10 English-language channels (CNN, HBO etc) plus one German and one Portuguese channel. Strangely, the amenities were geared to one person (one bathrobe, one pair slippers, one toothbrush etc) even though we'd booked for two. Again, I suspect they'd have provided extra items if we'd bothered asking. The first two 'problems' became apparent immediately: first - the bathroom is TINY, especially odd given the overall good size of the room. Whilst the fixtures are all good quality & clean, the problem is that it is less than one metre wide. I'm 5ft 6 and slim build, and (without being too graphic) could only just sit on the toilet without my legs banging against the wall. Seriously - if you are much taller, chunkier than me, you'll really have a problem here. Second main issue was the air conditioning: there are dual controls for living/bed areas but it didn't cool the room when we first arrived. We took both issues up with management next morning, and they were polite & efficient in their response. First, it seems the bathrooms are all tiny, although they may be larger in the 2-bed apartments (you'd need to check). So the staff can't be blamed for the room layout, and nothing short of a re-build would sort the bathroom size. Second, we were told the air con goes 'off' between 1am and 5am, apparently a Dalian-wide energy saving tactic. I'm really not sure that's true, but in any case during the other hours the air con worked fine. Trick is to leave it on all day, and get the room cooled before it switches off later. A few days later I was approached at breakfast by the manager, who had obviously been alerted to our 'complaints', and asked if all had been resolved. A nice touch, and very professional. One other thing to consider is the curtains: there are two layers but both light colour and virtually transparent to light. So would advise an eye mask if the light disturbs you.
Location was ultra central, and we had a fab view of the harbour. Renmin Rd very upscale (Cartier, Hermes etc right next door). Lots of places to eat, and, this being China, you only have to wander one block in any other direction to get as 'real' an experience as you could want! Big Carrefour supermarket couple of blocks away, with McDonalds etc should you feel the urge. Immediately adjacent the hotel entrance is a small convenience store with beer, cola, bread, potato chips etc. And across road from that is an 'imported food' store with all Western stuff, aimed at the large-ish ex-pat community who seem to live there (many of the apartments in Somerset are long lets to Japanese etc working there temporarily). Also right next to hotel entrance are a couple of bars/nightclubs, a sushi place and and an Italian restaurant. The latter two have menus in your room, and will deliver. Didn't try either, but very handy. Needless to say, the traffic and the driving is totally bonkers, so really watch out (right turn on red is legal, and cars won't stop!). As mentioned at the start, despite the couple of issues I'd stay here again as having the kitchen and washing machiine etc was really really useful for our longer stay (10 days). The staff were generally very friendly and helpful, and always smiling. The room maid also very friendly and happy to say hello. We paid around GBP 55 a night total, and that included one breakfast (a reasonable selection of hot/cold and Western/Chinese food). A similar quality room at a Furuma-level hotel was about GBP 85 a night - so a saving of GBP 30 a night, which mounts up over a longer stay. If you're only in Dalian a couple of nights and don't need the kitchen etc, probably better to just take a hotel room. Otherwise, the Somerset is a good bet and I'd stay again if I could get the same price.

Room Tip: Ask for a harbour view room, and away from elevators (they 'ding' when they arrive!).
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank IW
Reviewed 31 March 2011

Let me simply start with the phrase 'Excellent Staffs'. They always try to help and be there to make your stay ultra comfortable. Even the Room Service staffs are learning English and try to converse with you to understand our needs. Thats fantastic. The apartment is situated in Central Business area (Posh) of Dalian and very close Zhongshan Square.
The room is nice and clean and serviced everyday. The breakfast is good and the Chef is fantastic. He can preapre the delicious Omlette. Most of the reception staff can speak good english which is too good in this part of China. The apartment has small Gym, Sauna Room, Steam Room for the residents. They also have Childrens play area. Overall nice apartment for a business stay.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank HappyToTravel06
Reviewed 17 December 2010

A quiet, clean, well-ventilated and temperature-controlled room with a bed that supports a good night’s sleep is what every hotel should deliver to its customers. Anything beyond that is luxury. The Somerset Harbour Court delivers this, mostly. The rooms are clean, individually airconditioned, tasteful, large, clean. They are also usually very quiet but it must be said not 100% perfectly sound-isolated. So you can hear your neighbour to some degree if he makes a lot of noise. Which is rare here since this is a serviced apartment complex where mostly business people stay on long term assignments. I slept well every night I was there. The staff in this hotel go out of their way to help. On the service front I must say I have never had more personal attention, and Louie, the client relations guy deserves special praise for this. He even walked me to the Carrefour supermarket when I first arrived! Food here is mediocre and this is the biggest complaint I have, but you can cook yourself and there are restaurants of all sorts in the area. The gym is small but there is a large gym in teh same building as the Carrefour supermarket and the hotel staff can arrange for all kinds of membership types there. I find the rooms in this hotel very comfortable and look forward to my next stay. Even though I cannot say I look forward to Dalian. There is no reason to come to this city unless you have business here.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank QuietRooms
Reviewed 6 January 2009

Over the Christmas holidays, we stayed at the Somerset for five days (our two sons, both in their early 20's, my husband, and myself). We chose this property because of its comfortable apartment-style accommodations that allowed us to spend time together without being on top of each other the entire time. It was perfect for our needs, and our stay was definitely high-lighted by the excellent staff. Our older son was interested in having some custom shirts made while in Dalian, and when we inquired about having this done, one of the staff volunteered to take us to a reputable tailor during her lunch hour. In addition to getting us there, she also translated for us and even negotiated an excellent price. I made use of the spa facilities, and we appreciated having wifi access in the public spaces. The location was perfect, and we were mesmerized by harbor views from our suite.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)