“Very good”

Ranked #8 of 1,196 Hotels in Dalian
Dalian, China
“Very good”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

I am very happy to stay in kempinski hotel Dalian ,the room is comfortable to stay ,but the facilities are so old.this is my first time stay in Dalian.the breakfast was very good.i also stayed at the Kempinski Xi An which is much nice hotel .i like the city very much.front desk reception service is good have smile in the face.introduce the hotel,the beer bar is very funny have a band play ,the Germany beer is very delicious .the swimming poor is very beautiful .I will be back to the hotel later.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Midhahkabdjxksj

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Manila, Philippines
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

I stayed about 4 days in this hotel in the early November. Although the hotel is good, I was outraged by service and unfair prices.
I came there during the seafood show and didn't reserve online. I did so just because based on my experience direct negotiation of the rate in a hotel in China works better than anything else (I usually do so in Intercontinental Qingdao, where I always get really good discounts). Upon checking in they offered me deluxe suit. I took it as there were no other options. The rate was about 430$ per night. It was a two room studio with free laundry, on the 23rd floor with access to the club lounge, breakfast incl.
I met my partners in the same hotel. One of them reserved the same deluxe suit room on 25th floor via Agoda on 16 October. But his rate was only about 170$ per night incl breakfast, club lounge access, and 2 pieces a day free laundry.
I couldn't believe it and went to his room. It was the same as mine. I went down to the reception and started my argument about the 2.6 times difference between my and my partner's rate. I immediately didn't like the receptionist (a man, I don't remember his name). He couldn't explain to me why the difference is almost 300% in the rate. First he said room is different. I objected and he said himself my room is deluxe suit same as my partner's. Then he started to talk about the seafood show and early booking of my friend, but in fact my partner reserved the room quite late too, only 2 weeks before coming to the hotel, and the time for the seafood show was known to all hotels 1 year before the event. Then the receptionist told me about free laundry, but can free laundry account for almost 300$ a night??? Then the receptionist told me he will call my chinese friend after talking to management. But as a result he just said that the rate cannot be discounted.
I was really discouraged and disappointed. I will never stay at Kempinski hotel anywhere in the world anymore.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
5 Thank Jonnik
Shanghai, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

Normally I prefer the Shangri-La, directly at my office, but this time it was fully booked, so I had to take another choice: Kempinski Hotel, which is also outstanding for its service, cleanliness, its good breakfast buffet, and of course for the Paulaner Restaurant in the basement, with own beer brewing, and is open for dinner rather late!.
as a foreigner going there you just feel like not being in China, except all the Chinese guests, who are loudly enjoying their drinking!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Ralf M
Shanghai, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

If you are looking for a hotel room in Dalian, China, I truly recommend this hotel. I've stayed here so many times since 2011. Kempinski hotel is perfect hotel for me; their service, learge room, facilities, restaurant, spa. The first time I stayed there, that time was also the first visit to Dalian, but their staff are all friendly and they gave me a good tips about town. When I stay there less than 3 days I stayed regular room, but if I need to stay in Dalian more than 4 days, I stay at Executive floor, so I can get free pick-up service from air port, free landry service, and happy hour. I'll go back there again next month as usual.

Room Tip: if short trip premir room or normal studio room, but I prefre to stay in Executicve floor. It cost m...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank YuiA529
Seoul, South Korea
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

I went to the Kempinski Hotel Dalian in September and my partner and I decided to treat ourselves to a studio room on the Club Floor.

On the hotel website, they provide a list of services that are included with the room. One of the services was airport pick-up. It was easy to arrange and the driver was waiting for us when we exited Immigration. However, the service was definitely a bit gruff. He didn't say hello, help with the luggage, or even smile. I can understand not communicating because of the language barrier, but the attitude of the driver isn't what I would expect from a five-star hotel.

The website claimed that a room on the Club Floor came with a free mini-bar. This is not true. After getting to the room, we noticed the price list. Nothing was free. Absolutely nothing.

On the last day, we had arranged to keep our luggage with the concierge and come back later to pick them up for our flight. We asked if it would be possible to use the showers and spa later on even though we checked out in order to freshen up before the flight. The front desk staff would have been totally justified to decline the request, however, she said it would be no problem. That was very gracious. However, when we went back to the hotel later in the afternoon, we were denied entrance from the front desk staff member because we'd already checked out. It was definitely frustrating as we had come back to the hotel early just to relax a bit before the flight.

These complaints aren't major issues exactly, but there were enough disappointments to make the trip less than ideal.

There were definitely positives though. The cleaning staff and bell boys were friendly and polite. The breakfast was good. Location was good as well. The rooms were also clean and well taken care of.

If you get a great rate, book this hotel. Otherwise, another option might be more appropriate.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank scottleefe
Athens
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2013 via mobile

The Berlin Cafe, where breakfast is served (on the second floor), is a well organized area with open view to the lobby. All kind of dishes for all kind of tastes . At the same level you'll find the Marco Polo restaurant with Italian kitchen ( for the pasta lovers) but without the proper decoration for a place of its fame (more prone to the Chinese customs than the European air). At the lobby bar you can enjoy your cigar having a glass of white wine from Chile or Australia and definitely worth to try the tuna mousse sandwich . As the hotel is located at a nice region of the city you can safely have a nice walk to the opposite side of the street so to get a grande latte from Starbucks . Several shopping centers around to buy clothes and stuff. No swimming pool or gym available in this 5 star hotel. Just a SPA that will give you a relaxing massage. DO NOT buy any of those expensive Chinese teas ( for 2500 RMB) from inside the hotel!!! My wife found exactly the same one at the shopping mall close by ( Dalian shopping Mall) with hardly 300 RMB! You can visit ( on the 5th floor) the genuine Chinese restaurant "Dragon's Palace" ( NON smoking...) . Follow the "S" in the menu ( specialty of the house). The fried shrimp are worth to try ( with the sweet sauce) but the sea cucumber with the special sauce has absolutely no taste, no odor, not even a show-off appearance ... We've got a couple of boxes with their preserved form from some local friends and - as my wife checked- they are really expensive and considered to be a unique delicacy! The marinated pork with the warm bun along with the fried dumplings (thank God we failed only in one dish....) . The former has an equilibrated balance between the fatiness of the meat and the sweetness of the bun ( small bread). The latter plate, although looking promising has an enormously raw vegetable as a stuffing which makes it disappointing at the end of your tongue. No warmth in the atmosphere and literally no others eating around us. So, at the end we visited the lobby bar to enjoy some live music with piano, flute and violin.

• Stayed October 2013
2 Thank HellasKifissia
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2013

I stayed at Kempinski/Dalian for two weeks in early September 2013; it was my first stop after leaving home. Four days before departure from the hotel I discovered that $535 was taken from my in-room safe. I knew exactly the amount and the denominations that had been in my money pouch. My ipod, passport, and the watch were untouched, presumably because those would have been immediately noticed if they are missing. I contacted Kempinski’s management and they told me to contact the police. I escalated my case, but still the management's reply was to contact the police. For a foreigner, who was leaving the hotel in 4 days, this was not helpful.

Stayed September 2013, travelled on business