Holiday Inn Express Shenyang Golden Corridor
Ranked #66 of 1,138 Hotels in Shenyang
Reviewed 1 January 2014

I was mortified when I found out that client's secretary had booked me in this hotel for 1 night. Even though the hotel is relatively new, my room wasn't thoughtfully designed, especially the bathroom. Instead of a walk-in shower, there is a tub that is quite high to climb into. Yet, somehow, water spills all over the bathroom floor and the shower curtain already smells of mildew.

Breakfast offering caters to Chinese clientele and very basic. Internet speed is not great.

Note to self, next trip to Shenyang, book Grand Hyatt myself.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 23 October 2013

Smokers hotel. If you don't want to be barraged with smokers, don't stay there. I booked a no-smoking room. The hotel put me in a smoking room. I asked to be moved. They moved me to the non-smoking second floor --- overlooking the heavy machinery and construction outside -- which also blocked the entrance to the hotel. I could not hear my friend standing next to me in the room over the noise. I asked to be moved again. They said they only had a few non-smoking rooms and they all overlooked the street construction. I asked for a room that might have been empty for a couple of days - not occupied by a smoker. It still smelled of stale smoke, but was better than the first one. I did not sleep well.

The next morning, the walls were vibrating from a loud pounding. The adjoining building was also under construction. The hotel had provided no notice in advance and no notice on check-in that there was going to be building-shaking noise.

I asked once more if there were any rooms that were quiet. They moved me to another room that they "guaranteed" was quiet. Maybe... not.

That afternoon I went out. When I came back, there were three men in the lobby, smoking. This is a violation of local regulations (and there are plenty of placards stating so) -- no smoking in common areas --- effective May 1, 2011. Yet the hotel did nothing, and when one of the men started to get on the elevator with his lit cigarette, the hotel again did nothing. In fact, they laughed at me when I objected to the smoker.

The next morning the walls were shaking again. I had planned to do some laundry - one of the reasons I chose this hotel is they have a self-service laundry. So I bought my laundry coins. I planned to check out as soon as I finished.

But there was one more insult the hotel had for me. The machine did not register 45 minutes drying time for my second load as it had for the first load. The second one was only 15 minutes. I called the front desk. They sent the worst non-service person ever. She only wanted to argue about the situation, claiming she did not understand what the problem was. I had explained it to her (in the local language) five times and was becoming really annoyed when another hotel employee came in -- her manager maybe. She started discussing the problem with him... so yes, clearly she understood. I was outraged. I told her to stop wasting my time and either use her key-card to add 30 minutes to my time or get me another coin. Finally, after another 10 minutes, she went to get a coin.

I took my clothes as soon as they were dry enough to pack and checked out of the hotel.

The "free" night they promised me for all the room changes disappeared. Then, they tried to hand me a receipt showing I had paid nothing when in fact, they had just charged my credit card. I had to ask for a proper receipt showing I had paid in full.

With the construction, the room changes, the smokers, and the arguments from the hotel staff, my business trip was ruined. I got almost nothing done. I will never ever stay at that hotel for any reason again.

Room Tip: To choose a good room, find another hotel.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Terri M
Reviewed 26 August 2013

The Holiday Inn is brand new and located on the main street leading North in Shenyang. Bus stop in front of the hotel, subway and Carrefour a 5 minute walk. Rooms are big and clean but a little cold. No fridge but a big safety box in the room. Breakfast very basic but at least served until 10am, even by then you must get lucky on items like milk and bread.

The main problem is the noise due to a construction next door that goes 24/7 and has delivery of heavy construction items always after midnight (less traffic), which is very noisy. Also the workers gather at 6am behind the hotel for a breakfast and as the hotel only occupies the lower 6 floors you participate at their loudly discussions as if they were in your room. There is also a mosquito problem apparently coming through the ventilation system so keep the aircon cool and the anti mosquito poison plugged in.

Staff was very friendly even English is limited.

I stayed there at an excellent price (350 RMB) but when i wanted to come back it was 50% up, which is overpriced for a second tier city in China and a Holiday Inn Express.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 August 2013

The hotel is very nice, the rooms very comfortable, modern and clean. The complimentary breakfast is quite basic but ok. There is no bar fridge, food room service or restaurant. Pre paid for rooms, no problems checking in, very fast. Cannot order cab from hotel, but I believe this is quite usual, except for busy times it is quite easy to flag a cab from main road. ( Being in a cab in Shenyang can be a terrifying experience) Close to a Carrefour supermarket.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 July 2013

Was there for 6 nights and I am pretty satisfied with the overall experience. Clean sheets, varied breakfast every morning, prompt housekeeping just to name a few of the accolades.
It's also easy to catch public cabs from here. 5 min away is a Carrefour Supermarket.

Unlike some of the other reviews, I actually had no issues with the reception. All spoke comprehensible English and whilst there are limitations, I see positive eagerness to provide the best service possible despite the language barrier.

I booked my accommodation online and no problems as well with the whole transaction.

Overall, I would say I would go back for a second stay.

Room Tip: Take a room AWAY from the main road. Loads of road repairs all over the province as they are prepari...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 June 2013

This is the usual very nice Holiday Inn Express in China. Very comfortable beds, very good breakfast buffet and room amenities. My major problem was the staff. The staff had only 1 person that could understand and speak some English. She was about 20 and a pleasant person. I asked her about how far was it to the famous 9-18 museum, and she had never even heard of it. The NUMBER1 tourist attraction in Shenyang and she had no clue. Another person knew of it but had no clue how far it was or the taxi fare. Too bad, because I would have rated this place 4 stars if the staff was better

Room Tip: don't ask the front desk staff for help unless you can speak Chinese
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mark7432
Reviewed 4 February 2013

Booked via the holiday inn website and paid for online or so I thought. On arrival the receptionist wanted paying in cash, and wanted double the price quoted! Eventually I paid the online price again and was told that my online payment would be refunded, I'm still not sure why but this is China! The hotel is brand new, the room was very clean, very warm and very well appointed. After a great night's sleep we were rewarded by a very poor complimentary breakfast. So the excellent room was let down by Chinese red tape and a sub standard catering.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple