Sunrise International Hotel
US$92
Priceline
US$39
  • Fitness centre
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 15 October 2013

After several visits to China, I've learned that the level of expectation for hotels needs to be ratcheted down 1 or 2 notches (stars). I spent 3 nights here and overall my stay was respectable. The room was large and clean, but even though it was supposedly a non-smoking room, the smell of smoke was noticeable. I figured most, if not all rooms would have the same problem so didn't try to get a different room. The mattress was rock hard, very uncomfortable. The room stayed at 23 C even though I tried to make it cooler at night throughout my stay.

Check-in was efficient and my room rate (around 90 USD) included breakfast. Everything in the room worked as expected and there were a few TV channels in English including CNN. Guests are very noisy though, so loud conversations could be heard late at night and early in the morning in the hallway. That's the culture I guess, and one can't fault the hotel.

I had breakfasts and dinners in the hotel's restaurant, which were always buffets. A large selection of food and it was ok but nothing special. Several (most) of the dishes that were to be hot were luke warm or even room temperature. Most of the options were Chinese dishes, and those were more tasty than the few Western options.

Check-out took 15 minutes. There was only one staff member early in the morning and the check-out process for the two guests ahead of me took forever. The staff had excellent English though, which was useful.

Room Tip: As far away from the elevator as possible to help reduce hallway noise.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 June 2013

This is a Sheraton wannerbe, with logo so close to the famous red S makes you wonder how they get away with it. But Sheraton it ain't!

This hotel was booked for us by the company we were visiting but we soon found it is in a smi residential high rise area with nothing around it, no shopping malls, no nice restaurants, nothing to do or nice places to eat!

The staff were well trained and courteous when we arrived close to midnight but we found the company had booked us the super expensive suites when al we needed were non-smoking rooms. We soon found that the non-smoking rooms were a premium price, but they kindly "upgraded" us to an ordinary King "non-smoking".

Soon found these rooms were heavy with smoke and smelled of stale tobacco, seems the no smoking signs generally ignored as elsewhere in China. I had to try out 4 different rooms to find one that did not smelled so bad and the hotel idea of decontamination was a quick whiff of air freshener, doesn't do anything to get rid of the smoke smell that is absorbed into every fiber of the soft furnishings. Even the pillows smelled of smoke so was horrible.

Cons included a ROCK HARD bed, and a thick quilt so unnecessary in this climate, so I cast that off just for sheets and the A/C set at 24C.

Shower was OK, and there is a bathtub. TV has only the Chinese channels and 3 English a couple of movie and CNN.

Free internet was a plus with cable and wifi in the room; cable reasonable but wifi so slow.

Reasonable desk area to work.

Buffet breakfast included in the 600RMB room rate, it was reasonable and included hot food but mainly for the Chinese palate.

Cleanliness could be better, and the construction standards a bit off.

Uniformly well trained and pleasant staff.

I would only recommend if you have work in this area and really want to avoid the traffic and congestion typical of the central area where Marriott is (which I would choose over this hotel any day)

I would not stay here again, even to avoid some traffic delays, it's so out of the way

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms overlooking the big air conditioning units located about Level 4, they whine and groan all night and the sound fills the room; I had to change rooms because of this.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 May 2012

A good clean hotel in the area. If I come for work, I will definitly stay in this hotel agian as this is the best nearby.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Leo C
Reviewed 5 April 2011

Stayed here four nights to visit family. Nice rooms with an accomodating staff, they are very eager to please. Only drawback is the bed is as hard as a rock, we asked for extra blankets to use on top of the mattress but the bed was still incredibly hard.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 March 2011

If it weren't for the 5-star rating, I would have been more impressed with this hotel. It consists of 2 buildings, the A-building and the newer B-building. The B-building is connected to the main A-building by a 2nd floor walkway, but then you have to awkwardly walk past the restaurant area to get to the elevators. Also, the B-building has a small lobby but with no place to sit. The A-building lobby is large but also has limited places to sit while waiting to meet people.

My standard room in the B-building was clean, well-decorated but a bit on the small side. The major issues were a lack of an iron and a non-working Internet connection. The bed was very firm as is customary in Chinese-brand hotels. Recreational facilities were pretty thorough, including a stylish indoor pool, recreation center with ping pong, pool, karaoke rooms, and sauna. The gym was small with dated, rickety equipment, however.

Breakfast buffet (included in the room rate) featured an excellent selection of Chinese and Western choices and all freshly prepared. No complaints here. The location is pretty depressing as there is virtually no good dining or shopping nearby. My room looked out over a bleak industrial landscape.

In summary, the Sunrise is a good hotel. The room rate was reasonable but it's more of a 4-star rather than 5-star.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business