“Clean and well located, but the hardest most uncomfortable beds I have ever slept in.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Hanlin Hotel

Hanlin Hotel
Ranked #113 of 1,109 Hotels in Jinan
Toronto
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

I was here for almost two weeks in November 2013 while engaging in work for my MA degree. I was working with students from Shandong Normal University which is located behind the hotel - so super convenient. The hotel is well located and an easy bus or taxi ride to anywhere you want to go to. At the side and back of the university campus are lots of shops and great, inexpensive restaurants. If you have lived in a university town or close to a university, it will feel familiar to you - lots of students around, positive, bustling atmosphere.

The hotel itself has a number of differently configured rooms and I toured a few of them before I settled on one that actually had a separate shower space that didn't require me to almost stand over the toilet. All rooms had very hard beds - it felt like they had skipped the mattress and installed only the boxspring. I ended up with sore shoulders and hips every morning. My room had a nice desk area with a computer and free wifi (I just installed my own laptop to use as a keyboard). There are two bottles of water provided free every day along with tea and paper wrapped toothbrushes, soap, etc. There is a luxury toiletry kit that is extra, so don't use it thinking it is a gift. Also, the alcohol in the rooms is not free either, and is very expensive, so avoid it.

Some of the rooms have glass bathroom walls with a blind that you can pull down to give the person in the bathroom privacy...but the blind is on the room side. This should have been the first clue that something was a bit askew.

The hotel is clean and safe and the breakfast buffet is good - nice mix of Chinese and western food. The bar/restaurant is pricy but the food is good. The staff are efficient and eager to please, but not overly friendly. There is a travel agent located right in the hotel.

There is a KTV (Karaoke) lounge in the basement that caters mostly to visiting businessmen. I was with my classmates and we like to sing together - when we went down to the KTV in the basement we were met with very young girls wearing see-through cocktail dresses who could be hired to host in a private room. It was more than a bit uncomfortable.

Overall this hotel is not a great value for the money, and the most impressive part of it is the modern decor and lobby, but the rooms are not that comfortable. I would stay here a day or two if I had business at the university again, but I would not stay more than that - my lack of comfortable sleep was a big issue.

Room Tip: Ask to see a number of rooms before you choose. Don't take the first one they offer. Also there...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Anna67

Couples
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Travellers also viewed these Jinan hotels
Sheraton Jinan Hotel
#5 of 1,109 in Jinan
Shandong Hotel
Shandong Hotel
#7 of 1,109 in Jinan

Been to Hanlin Hotel? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Hanlin Hotel

Property: Hanlin Hotel
Address: NO. 16787 Jiangshui West Rd, Jinan 250014, China
Region: China > Shandong > Jinan
Business Centre with Internet Access Free Breakfast Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Restaurant Room Service Suites Swimming Pool
#18 Luxury Hotel in Jinan
#45 Best Value Hotel in Jinan
Price Range (Based on Average Rates): £
Hotel Class:4 star — Hanlin Hotel 4*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Odigeo, Ctrip TA, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U. and Evoline ltd so you can book your Hanlin Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Hanlin Hotel Jinan, Shandong, China