“Hotel within blocks of interesting side streets and siteseeing!”

InterContinental Jinan City Center
Ranked #1 of 1,160 Hotels in Jinan
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Stayed at this hotel during a trip with an exec MBA program. We had a great time; had no problems with this hotel. It has a bar in the hotel, and they treated us well. The siteseeing near here was great, and we enjoyed wandering the streets seeing dumpling shops and back alleys full of restaurants and shops. Good to see a city with some contrast to Beijing/Shanghai.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
leslieli, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental Jinan City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2011

I would like to thank you for choosing Crowne Plaza Jinan for your recent stay in Jinan.

I was very happy to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us. Although it is our basic principle to offer the best of everything, it is often reassuring to hear it directly from our guests. Thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back, or perhaps some of your friends whom you my care to recommend our hospitality.

Beat Wiesmann
Crowne Plaza Jinan

Reviewed 1 September 2011

I visited my Fiance in Jinan last weekend, and we stayed there for the weekend.
As a platinum member, I was upgraded to a suite even before we arrived. We were really happy with this, as well as the fruit plate which was delivered to our room before we entered it. Neat!
The hotel is a little bit aged, but quite well maintained. The room has a little bit damp smell, and the AC is quite hard to control (buttons have no response, and I don't think the temperature was controlled as chosen). Also, there is a construction going on (hotel expansion), but it is not a problem with the hotel guests.
But, but, the city is a big big mess! We even couldn't get a taxi right at the door of the hotel!!! This is partially bellhop's fault as well, because there was no one helping us at the hotel entrance with calling taxi, seriously, a 5 star hotel??? Although the guy was really helping when we were checking in, helping us with the baggages. It was a chaos outside the hotel, and people even shove others when fighting for a taxi! Mad! Mad! Mad ignorant people in a disastrous city! Capital of the province? What a joke!
Another fault was that they charged me RMB 20 for a bottle of water at the lobby bar, but the menu says 12. They eventually told me the menu was outdated! It's not about $1, but about integrity of the hotel's management. I don't care about that $1, but I didn't feel good.
Overall, it is a good hotel, and I'll definitely stay here again when I visit Jinan. Good value, good appreciation for platinum members, and good buffet food.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank zyxlsy

I would like to thank you for choosing Crowne Plaza Jinan for your recent stay in Jinan and appreciate taking time to fill in our on-line guest comments.

First of all, I would like to apologize for the inconvenience and disappointment you experienced during your recent stay with us. Your feedback is very important to us to ensure ongoing satisfaction for you and your friends when they stay in the future.

I hope the issues you mentioned did not mar you overall impression of Crowne Plaza Jinan and that you will afford us an opportunity of welcoming you back.

Reviewed 19 August 2011

the hotel is one of the best hotel in this city. good location, although not very new, but in good condition. staffs are nice, good breakfest. free parking

a good choice both for business and for leisure.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 June 2011

For some reason, I changed hotels from the Sofitel Plaza as a colleague was pretty uncomplimentary. Maybe we got off on the wrong foot ? - My business contact in Weifang told me that Jinan was the most suitable city to stay in to conduct our business. After being picked up (late due to torrential rain) from Jinan International, then enduring 3 hour trip by car to Weifang and a 2 1/2 hour return before being dropped off at the Crowne Plaza, perhaps I was a little irrational on my arrival. Sure the hotel is imposing on a busy shopping street but its old and faded. The worst thing is it smells real bad of stale smoke. Everywhere from top to bottom. We asked for non-smoking rooms which had clearly been smoked in, the bed linen smelled bad and my colleague found a shower cap had been placed over the smoke alarm, as a "never smoked in his life" he found he hotel dreadfull. The rooms lacked charactor and were obviously once grand but the carpets looked like a they belonged in a trailer park and the windows looked in wards on a roofed attrium so there was zero natural light.

Desperate to eat, we actually did not want to eat at the hotel so had a walk around the area, but nothing really caught our eye despite not getting as far as the Houcaller Beefsteak Restaurant we turned around. Now we thought the hotel look full but on arriving at the international restaurent we were two of only six poeple in their. In fact when we arrive the staff were so shocked we were shown to the "Cabaret Bar", a rather seedy looking room behing a curtain where a Chinese 2 Girl 1 Boy Band were crooning English pop songs. Credit where credit is due the rendition of Champagne Supernova was quite good, the rest were terrible - we declined to sit in the room and took residence in the a la carte area on our own. After musing the menu for 10 minutes we ordered Australian Rib Eye steaks. Except they had run out but failed to tell us.... So it was Beefburgers.... Well presented but they put soy sauce in it (or something similar) in them and they were not very pleasant. Still we needed to eat. Both us gave up around half way through the miserable senior waitress was shocked we had finished and told us so.. Like she should care ??? - Does she get money docked for wasted food ?

Bed was very hard, air conditioning too noisy and the bath was a puzzle in its self. I also do not enjoy watching myself whilst sat on the toilet. The latter was unavoidable as the gao between the toilet pan and a large mirror was about 12 inches.

Didn't bother with breakfast at hotel went to Starbucks across the road.

To summarise this hotel was just not value for money - and if this is the best Jinan can offer I will certainly fly in and out next time as I never want to spend time in this hotel again and am told there is nothing better for westerners.

Room Tip: Must be outward facing
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 June 2011

Checked into Crowne Plaza after having originally booked at Longdu International Hotel. The command of english of staff was very good given that I had had trouble generally communicating in China up until that point (I did expect this!). The service was second the none and meals offered of a pretty good standard. On the downside, the bed was a little hard, the hotel is starting to look dated and the massage service offered on level 7 is not run by Crowne Plaza and was a little left to be desired. Would I stay here again - yes if I am needing to be back in Jinan for work.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 June 2011

The hotel was smoky, despite a non smoking room. I read that the beds were hard and thought the reviewer was just picky---the beds are really HARD--we speculated that it was a box spring covered with a quilt. The carpets were very dirty and worn.

I made reservations specifically requesting connecting rooms because we were traveling with small children. I spoke to someone live before the trip and they confirmed this would be taken care of. When we arrived, the front desk man was very rude and told me that the rooms would not be available--no sorry or anything, just that the rooms were not avilable. This front desk person then saw my two children and agreed that i needed rooms close together so offered me rooms 500 meters apart!!! When I told him that was not acceptable he finally found me rooms across the hall from each other on the "club" floor, but told me that I could not be allowed use any of the benefits on that floor---how rude!!! Besides inapproriate, it's just bad service.

We asked the concierge for a resturaunt recommendation and he sent us out with some very bad walking directions (didn't even mention that the resturant was off the street he sent us asking). Thank goodness we spoke Chinese and after asking several people along the way, it took us about 30 minutes to get to a place that was supposed to be 10 minutes away. When we got to this resturaunt, we were told that reservations were required--shouldn't the concierge have told us that and made the reservations for us!!!

This hotel may be convenient for a business traveler, but I would not recommend if if you want any kind of service or even might have the slightest need for help, accomodations, special request or even if you just like to have good service. Hard to believe this is an international line--I would think it would be a little more consitent.

As we were leaving, there was another couple trying to check in and she was screaming at the front desk---apparently not getting good service either.

Overall, this would be a 2 star hotel, but perhpas in Jinan that's the best you can find---I hope not. If we ever go back, I will try another hotel.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 May 2011

Jinan was a positive surprise for us and the Crowne Plaza is a good hotel with good service, but this is to be expected for the price.
The location is excellent, very close the famous food street, and close to the parks. The staff was helpful in booking our train tickets.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple