“confused feelings”

Ranked #1 of 1,109 Hotels in Jinan
Heraklion, Greece
“confused feelings”
Reviewed 28 January 2012

Well my feelings are not the best.
(+) the breakfast was very good
there is a good mall you can access by the hotel.

(-) the room is very dark in terms of colors.
You can not open any windows because this is highly polluted city!!!!
The bathroom had rust on the top.
There is brothel in the underground floor, bizarre!!!
The people are not very polite...which is strange for China.
There is no internet but thank good there is a Starbucks cafe opposite the hotel on the right corner.

My advice, Jinan is to do your business and leave as fast as you can!!!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank antonios1602
Kathy C, General Manager at InterContinental Jinan City Center, responded to this review, 30 January 2012
Dear Antonios,

Thank you very much for staying with Crowne Plaza Jinan City Centre and sharing your experience with us.

First of all, I would like to apologize for the inconvenience and disappointment you experienced during your recent stay. Your feedback is very important to us to ensure ongoing satisfaction for you and your friends when they stay in the future.

Your comments on the breakfast and hotel location are very encouraging, but I was sorry to hear that you didn’t find our internet services accessible as we have wireless access in all our public areas and wire access in all our rooms. You might like to know that we are undergoing a major expansion/renovation work at present, which will add another 150 guest rooms and suites, a new ballroom, new restaurants and bars as well as a professional Spa. Furthermore, the largest Shopping Mall of Northern China (Parc 66) opened its doors in August of last year and has definitely added a whole new international and modern feeling to the downtown of Jinan!

We truly hope to have the opportunity to welcoming you back to Jinan again and feel free to contact me directly as it would be my pleasure to make all your arrangements personally.

With best regards,

Beat Wiesmann

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 January 2012

Stayed here for four nights. Room was pleasant and quiet but quite cold and heating adjustment did not appear to be working (was -4 outside). Room was clean but marks on carpet ruined overall effect. Bathroom had seen better days but everything worked OK. Internet was hard wire connection in room and wi-fi in lobby & 6th floor restaurant but was slow. New huge shopping mall just round the corner and Furong Street right opposite mall. In hotel good choice of restaurants on 6th floor with loads on 5th/6th floor of mall next door. Overall a good comfortable hotel if only the room heating could be sorted.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 13 December 2011

This hotel overall is ok. Especially for the city and surrounding area, I suppose it is actually nicer than the average place. The staff was friendly overall and the main lobby area was nice. The hotel is undergoing a renovation so there is some construction noise. My only reason for the low rating is a surprising experience by the manager of the hotel. A few days into my stay the manager came up to me in the lobby and asked how everything was. I said "for the most part, everything is fine." I would have left it at that if he just said something to the effect of, let me know if you need anything. Instead he said, "What do you mean, for the most part?" I explained that the carpets in the rooms that we were in were dirty and stained. Vacuuming would not help because the carpets were to the point of needing to be replaced. He then explained that the hotel is undergoing renovations and maybe in the future that they will re-do the rooms. Here is why I am disappointed: He asked me my room number, as if he was going to do something about it, and four days later at checkout, I never heard a work from him. If he did not say anything at all, I would have said this place was at least average to good. The concern here is the principle. If there were other problems that we experienced, I am not too confident we, nor anyone else, would be taken care of. Hopefully this will be a little reminder of why customer service should be a priority.

Room Tip: Bring extra slippers to keep your feet clean
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Kathy C, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental Jinan City Center, responded to this review, 28 December 2011
Dear Jim s,

Thank you for staying with us during your last visit. I really appreciate your comment that the hotel staff was friendly and lobby was nice.

As for the manager communication issue, I have talked to him, and I am sure such things will be avoided in the future. I am very sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Wish you all the best
Dayton OH
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Stayed at this hotel during a trip with an exec MBA program. We had a great time; had no problems with this hotel. It has a bar in the hotel, and they treated us well. The siteseeing near here was great, and we enjoyed wandering the streets seeing dumpling shops and back alleys full of restaurants and shops. Good to see a city with some contrast to Beijing/Shanghai.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
leslieli, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental Jinan City Center, responded to this review, 15 September 2011
I would like to thank you for choosing Crowne Plaza Jinan for your recent stay in Jinan.

I was very happy to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us. Although it is our basic principle to offer the best of everything, it is often reassuring to hear it directly from our guests. Thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back, or perhaps some of your friends whom you my care to recommend our hospitality.

Beat Wiesmann
Crowne Plaza Jinan
Irvine, California
Reviewed 1 September 2011

I visited my Fiance in Jinan last weekend, and we stayed there for the weekend.
As a platinum member, I was upgraded to a suite even before we arrived. We were really happy with this, as well as the fruit plate which was delivered to our room before we entered it. Neat!
The hotel is a little bit aged, but quite well maintained. The room has a little bit damp smell, and the AC is quite hard to control (buttons have no response, and I don't think the temperature was controlled as chosen). Also, there is a construction going on (hotel expansion), but it is not a problem with the hotel guests.
But, but, the city is a big big mess! We even couldn't get a taxi right at the door of the hotel!!! This is partially bellhop's fault as well, because there was no one helping us at the hotel entrance with calling taxi, seriously, a 5 star hotel??? Although the guy was really helping when we were checking in, helping us with the baggages. It was a chaos outside the hotel, and people even shove others when fighting for a taxi! Mad! Mad! Mad ignorant people in a disastrous city! Capital of the province? What a joke!
Another fault was that they charged me RMB 20 for a bottle of water at the lobby bar, but the menu says 12. They eventually told me the menu was outdated! It's not about $1, but about integrity of the hotel's management. I don't care about that $1, but I didn't feel good.
Overall, it is a good hotel, and I'll definitely stay here again when I visit Jinan. Good value, good appreciation for platinum members, and good buffet food.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank zyxlsy
I would like to thank you for choosing Crowne Plaza Jinan for your recent stay in Jinan and appreciate taking time to fill in our on-line guest comments.

First of all, I would like to apologize for the inconvenience and disappointment you experienced during your recent stay with us. Your feedback is very important to us to ensure ongoing satisfaction for you and your friends when they stay in the future.

I hope the issues you mentioned did not mar you overall impression of Crowne Plaza Jinan and that you will afford us an opportunity of welcoming you back.
Beijing
Reviewed 19 August 2011

the hotel is one of the best hotel in this city. good location, although not very new, but in good condition. staffs are nice, good breakfest. free parking

a good choice both for business and for leisure.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2011

For some reason, I changed hotels from the Sofitel Plaza as a colleague was pretty uncomplimentary. Maybe we got off on the wrong foot ? - My business contact in Weifang told me that Jinan was the most suitable city to stay in to conduct our business. After being picked up (late due to torrential rain) from Jinan International, then enduring 3 hour trip by car to Weifang and a 2 1/2 hour return before being dropped off at the Crowne Plaza, perhaps I was a little irrational on my arrival. Sure the hotel is imposing on a busy shopping street but its old and faded. The worst thing is it smells real bad of stale smoke. Everywhere from top to bottom. We asked for non-smoking rooms which had clearly been smoked in, the bed linen smelled bad and my colleague found a shower cap had been placed over the smoke alarm, as a "never smoked in his life" he found he hotel dreadfull. The rooms lacked charactor and were obviously once grand but the carpets looked like a they belonged in a trailer park and the windows looked in wards on a roofed attrium so there was zero natural light.

Desperate to eat, we actually did not want to eat at the hotel so had a walk around the area, but nothing really caught our eye despite not getting as far as the Houcaller Beefsteak Restaurant we turned around. Now we thought the hotel look full but on arriving at the international restaurent we were two of only six poeple in their. In fact when we arrive the staff were so shocked we were shown to the "Cabaret Bar", a rather seedy looking room behing a curtain where a Chinese 2 Girl 1 Boy Band were crooning English pop songs. Credit where credit is due the rendition of Champagne Supernova was quite good, the rest were terrible - we declined to sit in the room and took residence in the a la carte area on our own. After musing the menu for 10 minutes we ordered Australian Rib Eye steaks. Except they had run out but failed to tell us.... So it was Beefburgers.... Well presented but they put soy sauce in it (or something similar) in them and they were not very pleasant. Still we needed to eat. Both us gave up around half way through the miserable senior waitress was shocked we had finished and told us so.. Like she should care ??? - Does she get money docked for wasted food ?

Bed was very hard, air conditioning too noisy and the bath was a puzzle in its self. I also do not enjoy watching myself whilst sat on the toilet. The latter was unavoidable as the gao between the toilet pan and a large mirror was about 12 inches.

Didn't bother with breakfast at hotel went to Starbucks across the road.

To summarise this hotel was just not value for money - and if this is the best Jinan can offer I will certainly fly in and out next time as I never want to spend time in this hotel again and am told there is nothing better for westerners.

Room Tip: Must be outward facing
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled on business