“Elegant and Welcoming”

InterContinental Jinan City Center
Ranked #1 of 1,159 Hotels in Jinan
Reviewed 12 June 2012

I enjoyed both my stays at the Crowne Plaza. My rooms were beautiful and the staff was welcoming and informative. I liked the hotel's proximity to Quancheng Square, the city center which offers a light show by the fountain every evening at 8pm.

The hotel is close to several department stores, two Starbucks (my breakfast preference) and a charming food street and hutong area where there is a church built in 1860s. The staff directed me to a good shop for silk clothing just on the other side of the square.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
FlorianHeiner, General Manager at InterContinental Jinan City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2012

Dear SkSogang ,

Many thanks! From everyone at the Crowne Plaza Jinan City center we feel particular delighted about your personal commentary during your recent stay with us and that we did succeed in meeting your expectations. Our entire team members continually does endeavor to make the Crowne Plaza Jinan City Centre a friendly and personal environment for all guests who stay with us here.
It is great that you have enjoyed the spectacular fountain show across our hotel at the Spring Square with an extensive luxury lifestyle shopping boulevard attached to our hotel.
We do hope to welcoming you back soon here again so that we have the opportunity to assist you to explore many more wonderful attractions in Jinan like a visit to the Baotu Spring Park with its hundreds natural springs running through the city and connected to its beautiful Daming Lake Park and the thousand-Buddha Mountain.

Many thanks again.

Kind regards,

Florian Heiner

Reviewed 12 March 2012

This was our third visit to Jinan. On the last two occasions we stayed – very happily – at Sofitel. This time we thought we’d give the Crowne Plaza, just around the corner, a try.

It got off to a good start at the reception desk: they brought us glasses of tea whilst we checked in, a nice touch. The room was also fine, with a good view over the city. There was free internet in the room. But they forgot to bring our welcome fruit and several of the electric sockets didn’t work. The bedroom window was badly scratched from the outside, partly obscuring the view. So at this point the stylish Sofitel had a slight lead.

The Crowne Plaza staff were without exception helpful and friendly.

Breakfast decided it. At the Crowne Plaza the breakfast room was nicer, especially if you asked for a table at the window, but it cost the equivalent of 20 EUR per head and the choice was much smaller than at Sofitel. On the second day we took breakfast in the room, which cost only half the restaurant price. It was nicely served but there were things on the menu that were not available, they forgot the eggs and the food was luke-warm.

I am told by locals that the Sheraton is better than both but it is not downtown and therefore less suitable for tourists.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ian2109
CPJinan, General Manager at InterContinental Jinan City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2012

Dear Sir/Madam,
First of all many thanks for having stayed at our hotel and for having taken your time to write your constructive comments. I am very happy to hear that you found my staff to be very friendly and helpful. I have personally looked into the shortcomings in the room as well as the your comments on the breakfast choices/pricing, to further improve on our offers. I was sorry to hear that the room service had forgotten your eggs and rest assured that I took immediate action that this will not happen again. You may have realized that we are undergoing an extension on our south side adding an additional 150 rooms, new banquet and F/B facilities and a new lobby, which then will be followed by a refurbishing program of our exisiting hotel. I trust that we will be able to welcome you back again and please feel free to contact me personally as I would be more than happy to assist in any arrangments you may need. Beat Wiesmann, General Manager

Reviewed 3 February 2012

OK, Jinan is certainly not an area known for its tourism and this is not a destination hotel. But you are going there for business and you want a decent, safe place to stay. So the Crowne Plaza pretty much fits the bill. The Western menu isn't bad, and the bar with it's typical band is a nice change if you've had it with rice and noodles. The rooms are big, but as other reviewers stated, the carpets are trashed and the A/C is not so good. It was about -25C when I was there but the room was uncontrollably hot-which unfortunately is fairly typical in China. Internet seemed OK, a bit slow, but was fairly stable. Would I recommend this again? Yes, until someone builds a better 4-5 star hotel in the area, it's probably the best choice.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business

Dear Sir,
First of all I thank you for having stayed at our hotel and that you took your time to leave your comments. It was nice to hear that, in general, you enjoyed your stay with us. I have taken up your comments on the temperature control with my engineers and they have improved the said room accordingly. You may have realized that, after over 10 years of existence, we are adding a new wing to the south which will give us an approx. no. of 150 new rooms as well as new banquet facilities, a new lobby, as well as new F/B outlets. This will follow with a refurbishment of the old rooms thereafter. We truly hope that we will be able to accommodate you again in the future and please feel free to contact me personally for any arrangements I can do for you.
Beat Wiesmann, General Manager

Reviewed 28 January 2012

Well my feelings are not the best.
(+) the breakfast was very good
there is a good mall you can access by the hotel.

(-) the room is very dark in terms of colors.
You can not open any windows because this is highly polluted city!!!!
The bathroom had rust on the top.
There is brothel in the underground floor, bizarre!!!
The people are not very polite...which is strange for China.
There is no internet but thank good there is a Starbucks cafe opposite the hotel on the right corner.

My advice, Jinan is to do your business and leave as fast as you can!!!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank antonios1602
Kathy C, General Manager at InterContinental Jinan City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2012

Dear Antonios,

Thank you very much for staying with Crowne Plaza Jinan City Centre and sharing your experience with us.

First of all, I would like to apologize for the inconvenience and disappointment you experienced during your recent stay. Your feedback is very important to us to ensure ongoing satisfaction for you and your friends when they stay in the future.

Your comments on the breakfast and hotel location are very encouraging, but I was sorry to hear that you didn’t find our internet services accessible as we have wireless access in all our public areas and wire access in all our rooms. You might like to know that we are undergoing a major expansion/renovation work at present, which will add another 150 guest rooms and suites, a new ballroom, new restaurants and bars as well as a professional Spa. Furthermore, the largest Shopping Mall of Northern China (Parc 66) opened its doors in August of last year and has definitely added a whole new international and modern feeling to the downtown of Jinan!

We truly hope to have the opportunity to welcoming you back to Jinan again and feel free to contact me directly as it would be my pleasure to make all your arrangements personally.

With best regards,

Beat Wiesmann

Reviewed 24 January 2012

Stayed here for four nights. Room was pleasant and quiet but quite cold and heating adjustment did not appear to be working (was -4 outside). Room was clean but marks on carpet ruined overall effect. Bathroom had seen better days but everything worked OK. Internet was hard wire connection in room and wi-fi in lobby & 6th floor restaurant but was slow. New huge shopping mall just round the corner and Furong Street right opposite mall. In hotel good choice of restaurants on 6th floor with loads on 5th/6th floor of mall next door. Overall a good comfortable hotel if only the room heating could be sorted.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 December 2011

This hotel overall is ok. Especially for the city and surrounding area, I suppose it is actually nicer than the average place. The staff was friendly overall and the main lobby area was nice. The hotel is undergoing a renovation so there is some construction noise. My only reason for the low rating is a surprising experience by the manager of the hotel. A few days into my stay the manager came up to me in the lobby and asked how everything was. I said "for the most part, everything is fine." I would have left it at that if he just said something to the effect of, let me know if you need anything. Instead he said, "What do you mean, for the most part?" I explained that the carpets in the rooms that we were in were dirty and stained. Vacuuming would not help because the carpets were to the point of needing to be replaced. He then explained that the hotel is undergoing renovations and maybe in the future that they will re-do the rooms. Here is why I am disappointed: He asked me my room number, as if he was going to do something about it, and four days later at checkout, I never heard a work from him. If he did not say anything at all, I would have said this place was at least average to good. The concern here is the principle. If there were other problems that we experienced, I am not too confident we, nor anyone else, would be taken care of. Hopefully this will be a little reminder of why customer service should be a priority.

Room Tip: Bring extra slippers to keep your feet clean
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Kathy C, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental Jinan City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 28 December 2011

Dear Jim s,

Thank you for staying with us during your last visit. I really appreciate your comment that the hotel staff was friendly and lobby was nice.

As for the manager communication issue, I have talked to him, and I am sure such things will be avoided in the future. I am very sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Wish you all the best

Reviewed 12 September 2011

Stayed at this hotel during a trip with an exec MBA program. We had a great time; had no problems with this hotel. It has a bar in the hotel, and they treated us well. The siteseeing near here was great, and we enjoyed wandering the streets seeing dumpling shops and back alleys full of restaurants and shops. Good to see a city with some contrast to Beijing/Shanghai.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
leslieli, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental Jinan City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2011

I would like to thank you for choosing Crowne Plaza Jinan for your recent stay in Jinan.

I was very happy to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us. Although it is our basic principle to offer the best of everything, it is often reassuring to hear it directly from our guests. Thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back, or perhaps some of your friends whom you my care to recommend our hospitality.

Beat Wiesmann