“CN Sea World NOT USA Sea World”

Qingdao Underwater World
Ranked #12 of 297 things to do in Qingdao
Reviewed 8 July 2013 via mobile

There can be only one. Sea World that is and it resides in San Diego, CA.

From the initial sight of wall to wall bio lab style formaldehyde bottled fish to my first stuffed Killer Whale sighting I was less than enthusiastic or impressed rather disgusted and bored.

I will say this. The Chinese try and try hard but if your expecting anything more than alligators stuffed in small surroundings with coins layed at their feet and back yes on their back well your going to be disappointed.

Their flagship large aquarium with conveyor belt shuttle would have been great, except the glass reflected a coke bottle image so that I could only view for a few moments until my head hurt or maybe that was the wall to wall people yelling and clicking their cameras and smartphones.

Save your ¥130 per Adult(s) and ¥65 per Children entry fee. Spend it on a decent meal or a upgraded room in one of Qingdao's finer hotels.

Where is Green Peace when you need them?

2  Thank jeb1969

Reviewed 13 April 2013

I really enjoyed this, much to my surprise, but I went on a quiet day. Later in my visit, I passed it on a bus and there were huge queues.

The shark/ray tunnel was really excellent; the static/stuffed exhibits were interesting; there were a lot of strange fish and eels that I just hadn't seen in western aquariums.

The gift shops sold the usually fluffy sharks you would expect in the West, but you could also buy and eat the exhibits (or their less rare cousins!)

2  Thank johnnychips
Reviewed 24 January 2013

The Qingdao underwater world is showing its age with many old displays that need updating. The winter is not a good time to visit outside attractions.The summer would be a much better time to spend some time wandering the outside areas.

Reviewed 20 September 2012

Maybe I had too high expectations on the underwater world, because the city is a seaside city.Actually it's small, no much to see, just some very common species, as you can see in any inland cities. It does not worth the money of 120 yuan entrance fee.

1  Thank catherine_xian
Reviewed 28 August 2012 via mobile

So the title pretty much says it all. It cost 120 RMB to do everything that was available. This gave me access to the underwater world, some mammals and the jellyfish exibit. Out of all of these the best section was the jellyfish exibit. 120 RMB is no too bad for a tourist attraction in qingdao but I feel what I paid for wasn't what I got. This is an over priced attraction for what you get, highly commercialized (to proceed to the next section you must go through a souvenir shop - you need to pass through four of these) and over crowded. I was shoulder to shoulder with everyone and it's difficult to take pictures. The actual aquarium was really amazing and the different types of animals was quite nice but this and the jellyfish exibit were the only things that were impressive and everything else fell quite short.