“Great hotel and views” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 1,643 Hotels in Qingdao
middlesbrough, england
“Great hotel and views”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

I'm travelling china with my friend and we decided to treat ourselves to a suite (rm9003), for two nights in a beach resort hotel the wyndham grand.
The journey from beijing to qingdao railway station was great, however the taxi ride from there to the hotel was now. Trying to get a taxi to start with is like trying to find gold dust. Near impossible. There is no taxi rank. When u finally get one you have to barter and haggle with driver for price as they will rip you off. Luckily my friend is Chinese and was not taking any rubbish from the driver. We paid 120RMB FOR ABOUT 45min transfer including road toll.

The hotel on pulling up looks massive (500 rooms) all have either city view (with a bit of sea view) or full sea view. We had the city view on the 9th floor. Top floor. When we arrived it was so foggy you could not see ten foot in front of yourself. That said, check in was quick and efficient. Deposit 5000RMB I think. Porters were quick to take our bags to our room. On entering our room...... Straight ahead was the living area with big wall mounted tv, big desk and chair. The door to balcony was here. The balcony runs the length of the room. At the end of the balcony though there was two nails sticking out of the floor that were only found once I had taken my shoes off. Quite painful...... But no damage done. Just to the right of the entrance was the luggage store/dressing room which leads off to bathroom. Walking through the living room gets you to the bedroom. Big double bed and tv. There is also a door that leads to the bathroom. When the curtains were open it is possible for an amazing view of qingdao.
When we checked in we received ticket for a free meal at the BBQ in the beer garden so off we went to find it in the for. The beer garden........... Turns out to be a blocked off bit of car park. But the food was lovely and my chopstick skills were tested for the first time.
The next morning the fog had lifted and the view was stunning. We could see for miles. We had breakfast in the restaurant on ground floor. The selection is wide and wonderful. I had double helpings of full English and then some fruit to finish. After that we went to the golden beach (this is the beach to be at if you are Chinese). We stayed there for a few hours then there was a typhoon warning so we had to leave and departed for the hotel again. The hotel has it's own beach (silver sands beach) that u can access by going to floor -1 in lift. There is a gym, a sort of supermarket and spa I think I saw a sign for. There were two swimming pools that I saw. The outside was was lovely and cool.
We had room service on second night for dinner. I had the burger which was lovely and my friend had pasta. We ate on the balcony and were entertained by the music from the beer garden in the distance.
I must admit before my friend said about qingdao I'd never heard of it before. But I'm glad I came. The hotel and staff were lovely. This hotel must cater mainly for Chinese customers and although I did see a few other non-Chinese guests it didn't stop people looking and staring at me every time I walked past which did make me a little uncomfortable. This hotel is a bit far away from everything and this is ok with me....... I like a bit of piece and quiet. The hotel is more like a resort where you never have to leave as every one of your needs is catered for.
Overall 9/10 even if it's a nightmare to get to.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank andyodp1
Winter X, General Manager at Wyndham Grand Qingdao, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
I must say it was very interesting and enjoyable to read your comments. First of all, I would like to express my thanks to you for making the choice of staying at Wyndham Grand Qingdao. And I must thank you again for giving a comprehensive guide to the hotel which we could barely make it ourselves.

I feel sorry to hear about your bad experience from taking a taxi to the hotel. Traffic can be a problem some days in the main city, especially during the peak tourist season. On another day the situation may get much better. However, we offer our guests pick-up service from airport and train station with reasonable rate. If you plan to come next time, you can call for booking a car to collect you from your landing place at the city.

The case in the balcony was unfortunate. We should have realized this earlier before the nails become harmful to the guests. We have examined all the balconies to make sure no other same problems. Sorry about this and thank god it did not cause you a big damage.

Although we are a resort hotel, sometimes we take in large conference as well, and there are people from all over the world joining the conference. There are also quite a few long stay European guests in our hotel, I think they have got used to the “friendly gaze”. Thank you for your comments, and we are looking forward to seeing you again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first

游泳池長度約50公尺,一邊深140公分,另一邊200公分,對於游泳必須採到底的我,很有障礙。
健身房設備佳,另有桌球,基本設備還算OK。但有趣的是三溫暖及桑拿竟然要事先預約才會開啟,且游泳池更衣室沒有洗澡也沒有吹頭髮的整理室,令人不解。
櫃檯服務反應慢,不會處理緊急或特殊狀況。服務人員品質低落,讓人失望。
還是待在房間好~
A soft killing bed, lie in it just lie in cloud! The style of room is modern and chic one, soft light with leather made touching furniture, it's a pleasant to stay in the room with sea view whole day!
Swimming pool is good and clean one, Gym is equipped well. You have to make an appointment to use Sauna and Spa, that's a thing I can't accept.
Sea view and sea side walk are 2 selling points of this hotel and I am satisfied with that.
Service of the hotel is poor, service rep at the counter can't handle urgent things and ask customers to find solutions by themselves.
It takes 60 mins, 300 RMB to come to Wyndham Grand Qingdao, it is with Grand lobby and Grand ballroom banqueting hall , good for family for vacation.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank mingming0322
Winter X, General Manager at Wyndham Grand Qingdao, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Thanks for your nice comments for our hotel. And we are very sorry for your unhappy experiences and apologize to you. We provide shower space in SPA where is near the locker room, and also have hair drier ,if you still could not find them in the future trip in our hotel, our employ is very pleased to help you. At the mean time, we heighten guides in SPA base on your comments. Thanks for taking time. we are looking forward to seeing you again in the future. Have a nice life.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

Overall a good hotel for the money. Since the hotel is a bit secluded we asked Elena, the Duty Manager to recommend places to eat and hang out. She was extremely helpful, we were able to make an otherwise dull experience very adventurous. Elena was also very helpful during our check in, she ensured that we had all the things needed in our room to make our stay comfortable. If you need someone to handle your problems quickly, Elena is your go to person and her English is excellent.

Thanks so much for all you're help.

• Stayed June 2014
3 Thank Traveler2013a-z
Winter X, General Manager at Wyndham Grand Qingdao, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear Traveler2013a-z,

Thanks for your stay in our hotel and give us your valuable feedback.We are glad to know that you have a good experience in our hotel.We are proud of Elena too, she is our good employee, my good colleague.I'll ask all my colleagues learn from her.
Thanks again for your good comments,and we are looking forward to seeing you again in the future.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

Very good hotel > I arrived 30 March and am still here in the Apartment Suite. Of course due to my long stay, I have special deals, but even then I can say that this hotel is of good class & they are listening to the guest valueable opinion to alter anything < and they will >. Perfect location next to the beach, no noise of traffic .. OK a bot far away from Huangdao City life, but then again, I do not fancy honking cars at night (what is very common in Chiises Cities) >> taxi will take you downtown in less than 10 minutes. Kuddos for this hotel.

Room Tip: take rooms facing the beach > not for the noise, because there is no noise, but for the scenery
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Patrick D
Winter X, General Manager at Wyndham Grand Qingdao, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Dear Patrick D,

I'm glad to see your valuable feedback.Thanks for your stay in our hotel, we will work hard and keep moving.

Qingdao, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

I checked in late night. Staff in front desk was very nice to ask me if hungry and offer me some advice on food. The room is very fantastic designed with high quality decoration. TV Chanel actually not enough as some Chanel is empty. I attend meeting next day I found hotel ballroom is very huge . The only thing I felt pity that hard to get taxi in rush hour!

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Ferry78
Winter X, General Manager at Wyndham Grand Qingdao, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Dear Ferry78,
Thanks for your stay in Wyndham Grand Qingdao and give us valueable feedback!
I'm glad to hear that the room makes you satisfied and our staff give you very nice service,I'm proud of them. I'm sorry that our TV chanel problem influence you. We are work on the problem now and I'm sure that problem will solved soon in this week.For the problem of taxi,our concierge would like to book taxi for you, if you need, just tell them.
Thanks again for your stay and valueable feedback.We are looking forword to seeing you again in the future.
London, England
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

Probably the worst hotel I have ever stayed.

It did not start well. I arrived at the rail station at 9pm and found a taxi. They told me the price to the hotel was yuan 200. But the experience was scary. Driver demanded cash up front; there was no meter. Then stopped in the middle of nowhere told me to get out and dumped my bags by the side of the road, we transferred to a new cab with two other passengers, He took the cash and eventually dropped me tat the hotel.. It ended OK, but deeply scary.

Service was useless. Just a small example. I ordered room service tonight I was desperately hungry, really tired and needed some comfort food, so ordered Hainan chicken rice from room service.

The food arrived well enough, but the girl dropped the chopsticks and European eating implements. I told her to leave it. She insisted that she would take them away to get clean ones.

Half an hour later and three phone calls, the replacements arrived.

Food was cold I was famished,

Just appalling.

When I was asleep, the duty manager woke me up with a phone call and an offer of a visit to say sorry.

Not what I wanted.

Add to that, no possibility to pay for the room service on the tab - (had to be cash). Loose taps in the bathroom. a bathroom fitting which looked glamorous, but splashed everywhere; long queues at the desks for check-in, check out and other stupid problems and this is the kind of place to avoid big time.

Don't even think about this place.

Room Tip: don't use this place. It is dreadful
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank KidasDave
Winter X, General Manager at Wyndham Grand Qingdao, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
Dear Kidas Dave,

Thanks for your valueable feedback.

We provide pick up service for all our guests in hotel.

For the problem of room service,your comments had been shared with relevant department and immediate actions had taken .As hotel has high occupancy at that moment so the check in /out really need times to wait,but anyway we would try our best to improve it immediately.

Please accept my sincerely apology and I would like to invite you to see our improvement in the future.

Kraljevica, Croatia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014

When I made booking in this hotel it was still "Kempinski" but until I arrive it change the name to "Wyndham Grand Qingdao". However standard and what you expect from such hotel remain the same: pure 5 star. Some people would complain about it"s distance from city itself but this depends what you are actually seeking for. If you want quietens, relaxing time away form particularly crowded and noisy cities in China or anywhere else this is the right place to come. During stay I enjoyed meals in lobby restaurant, Paulaner and in Chinese one. All were excellent. Rooms are 5 star as simple as that. Ofcourse you could see that hotel is not built yesterday but has some years and maybe some slight refurnishing could be done but I like it as it is. They have 3 swimming pools but did not use them and for beautifully long sandy beach in November was too cold. Next time more luck :-)

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Lily L, Leiter Öffentlichkeitsarbeit at Wyndham Grand Qingdao, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Dear CJM1985_75

We really appreciate your recommendation on tripadvisor! We apologize we didn't inform you about the change of the name.

It is always a great motivation for our entire team when the guests feel at home here and express our compliments.

We hope you are staying again with us and wish you a wonderful spring season.

Best Regards,