“Absolutly the most wonderful hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Shangri-La Hotel Qingdao

Shangri-La Hotel Qingdao
Ranked #1 of 1,643 Hotels in Qingdao
uk
“Absolutly the most wonderful hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2008

I have just stayed at the Valley Wing at this hotel it is absolutely lovely. Huge rooms550 sq ft, fabulous bathroom, the price was under $200 Breakfast is included in the price as is high speed internet by cable and there is also WiFi. A large flat screen TV and DVD player in the room even a smaller one in the mirror in the bathroom, in fact you can open the side of the bathroom (yes I know this sounds weird but it is true) and watch TV from the bath. Fabulous buffet breakfast they even got me breakfast when I turned up at 10.30am Attentive staff free drinks all day in the 20th floor lounge what more could they do. Also it very peaceful away from but attached to the main hotel which can be very busy.Yes the hotel car is a little expensive taxis are cheaper but when my flight was very late arriving, after midnight it was good to see someone waiting to collect me.I would also say that if you are spending time in Asia join the Shanri La club the benefits are great. Again what a fabulous place the Valley Wing is, if only all hotels were this good.

• Liked — The room and bathroom
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled on business
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Madison, Wisconsin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2008

I delayed writing a review of the hotel in hopes of dulling my disappointment with our stay in the new expensive Valley View Wing. The rooms are wonderfully appointed but avoid Room 965. Next door, Room 966, stores hotel bedding, room supplies, etc. and the staff congregate, some in the room others in the hallway outside the usually ajar door. When we were in our room and the noise annoyed us, I spoke directly with the ever rotating staff. Upon check out I spoke with an assistant manager.
The creative interior design of Cafe Yum, does nothing to alleviate the chaotic breakfast buffet experience; the food just average. The staff works hard to keep up but confusion reigns. Upon check out we were charged for extra breakfast guests we never hosted. In contrast, the executive level breakfast buffet, the evening snack service and the wonderful staff met our expectations in all respects.
The ongoing construction in and next to the hotel was also troublesome. In retrospect our stay was indeed, a negative experience.
We found Qingdao to be an absolutely charming city. The city and residents are well prepared for the deluge of visitors arriving this summer. The Shangri-la has a ways to go.

Stayed April 2008
Beijing
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2008

Stayed in the new Valley View Wing over the Tomb Sweeping holiday weekend. The wing was recently opened around March 15 which presented the good and the bad.

The good: Room was very new, very clean and VERY well appointed. Bed was extremely comfortable which can be a challenge in any of the 4.5+star hotels in China. Flat panel TV, wireless internet, marble and tile all over the place. Very luxurious. 20th floor hospitality was very comfortable and had beer, wine, snacks, really anything you wanted all day long.

The bad: Pool and exercise facility were not open, and there was constant construction noise all day long. Not a big deal since I wasnt in my room most of the day.

The hotel has a new restaurant Cafe Yum Yum. I was a little leary of it because of the name, but this place had by far one of the better buffets I've ever experienced. Tsingtao was served a long with the buffet - which would have been nice to know the first night since I got a bottle of Penfolds. Had I known, I'd have just stuck with the Tsingtao.

Q Bar was good, but a little cheesy as all night clubs in China can have a tendency to be. Bar lounge was nice and comfortable.

One drawback was the airport transportation cars. On the way in, I had a 4 year old (at least) Audi A6 which did not smell clean at all, and on the return had the Chinese equivalent of the Nissan Maxima - a 10 year old Nissan Maxima. Not exactly worth the upcharge for the drive.

Overall a good stay and I'd recommend it to anyone.

Stayed April 2008
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2008

Conveniently located with upmarket shopping malls nearby, with brands like Prada, Burberry etc. and a Carrefour. About 15 minutes walk to the beach area. Room looks old and dated and in need of a
refurbishment. The bathroom has no shower cubicle, just a long bath. The hotel's extension is currently ongoing next door.
Breakfast is OK - I have tried better Shang breakfast spread in other cities, Beijing is the best city in China so far. A "do not disturb" was placed outside but our room was cleaned up nevertheless - would recommend that others call the guest service centre next time. A comment card in the hotel room was filled up and an email acknowledgement was received a few days later.

• Liked — N/A
  • Disliked — The bathroom
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled with family
1 Thank bzbubble
Upstate NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2007

This hotel is an 18-story high rise at the center of town a couple blocks back from the coast. Qingdao's airport is an hour away.

The format has a resort flavor, with dance bar, piano bar, and health club with a sizable pool & tennis court. The weight room is nearly on a par with a typical Bally's, with--if you think Nautilus machines are for girly men--freeweights to 50 lb, and an honest-to-goodness you-can-stack-300-lbs-on-it bench press. The dance bar hosts a hard-working house band, displaying a wide repertiore, even if the only ones dancing are an octogenarian couple prancing an elaborate quick-step or west coast swing. The music is too loud for for talking there, so conversational types are best served by the piano bar, where the din of the crowd often obscures the rather talented female solo singer & her piano accompanist.

My room was meticulously clean and functional, with all the acoutrements in like-new condition, though a bit compact. You may want to take a minute or two to master the motley assortment of sconce, hidden reading, & night lights. The staff was competent & gratuitously courteous. Another reviewer mentioned problems at the check in. I had no such problems, and a last minute extension to my stay was handled summarily. I did notice backlogs at the front desk around 8am; the front desk area does seem rather small for a hotel this size.

The breakfast buffet is above average, though not included in my room price. I wanted to eat lightly at breakfast and found room service better suited. You have to remember to hang the order on on your doorknob the night before.

The building does not have Wi-Fi, and wired high-speed internet, whose performance I didn't have opportunity to test, is $11/day.

• Stayed October 2007, travelled on business
2 Thank The_Conductor
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2007

This is quite simply one of the best hotels I have stayed in my life. I travel a lot for business and pleasure and I have to say that this hotel exceeded all expectations and the attention to detail and service rivals all others, including other Asian hotels. This is the first time I have stayed in the Shangri-la chain. The first thing is that their loyalty programme seems to be the most generous I belong to, especially the benefit for 50% of breakfast (inc person sharing room) at the lowest tier of the programme.

The staff throughout the hotel were super friendly and extremely well trained. The level of English was good and the staff went out of their way to do everything possible to make it a great stay. The concierge was excellent as well.

As far as hotel gyms go, this hotel has got a very good gym with a variety of weights, stationary machines and also has a great pool and spa area.

Every area of the hotel is entirely over-staffed which results in very attentive service and having to wait for very very few things.

We appreciated a lot of details such as allowing us late check-out at 1500; early check-in at 1000; the room attendant tracking us down when we forgot something after check-out; a free coffee in the lobby bar because the server felt bad she hadn't warned us there weren't free refills, etc. The staff really made the biggest difference.

The rooms were great, very large, modern and spotless. Hotel management was quite proactive. I filled out a survey and they thanked me with 160 Yuan in hotel food certificates. It was great.

Restaurant was excellent for breakfast and one of the largest spreads I have seen in a hotel.

I recommend the Renmin Foot Massage place across the street - 5 minutes walking distance. Cheap as chips and quite a good massage and no, this is not a hooker place.

The hotel is in walking distance to some great shopping areas and restaurants, including Carrefour and some designer malls. You can easily walk to a beach area and the 'boardwalk' area.

We didn't explore the public beaches in Qingdao. It was really a place to relax after some adventures in other, not so luxurious parts of China.

I would recommend this hotel wholeheartedly.

Andrew Wong

• Liked — staff; location
  • Disliked — internet too expensive in business centre
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled with friends
2 Thank BusyFlyingAround
Hong Kong, China
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2007

We were here 2 nights for the Qingdao beer festival, this hotel has decent hardware but missing most of the software, just a few examples below:

when we showed up Fri afternoon to check in at 3:30pm, of the 4 rooms we booked, 3 were still not ready for another 45 minutes, despite their 12 noon check out policy, and when my girlfriend finally got into her room a telephone repair man went in to fix the phone for another 30 min

They were also very strange with the breakfast arrangements, telling us that those of us (including myself) 1 person in a twin bed room is entitled to breakfast for 2 while my friend and her husband were only entitled to 1 breakfast for the 2 of them

On Sunday morning, while trying to sleep in after a night at beer festival, at 8 am in the morning, housekeeping came and rang my doorbell ! And my friend's next door even though he had a do not disturb sign on

At the bar downstairs, after finishing our 1st bottle of Veuve, they told us they do not sell any champagne by the glass (we didn't want another bottle) and also they don't sell any decent wine by the glass, we opted for Tsingdao beer instead

The hotel's food at their 2nd coffee shop is pretty good, but the concierges sent us off our 1st night to a mediocre seafood restaurant where they had these seals cooped up in a tiny pool for show. speaking of food, I was happy with the hotel breakfast buffett but service is so so, i.e. I asked for a Chinese soup spoon (For congee and noodles), the server said they didn't have any (only when I insisted they came back with one)

Check out was also a nightmare, there were 5 girls behind the counter and maybe at most 10 guests in line, knowing already how slow and inefficient the staff are, we showed up at 11:30 am to checkout even though our car pick up was not due for another 30 min

The checkout process took a good 30 min with them charging us multiple times in multiple rooms for things we already paid for (I.e. they charged us our prepaid US$60 airport transfer twice on 2 bills out of 2 of the total 4 rooms that we had ).

overall this hotel has a lot of catching up to do as more tourists will show up next year for the sailing & watersports Olympic events.

• Liked — modern and clean bathrooms, decent food at the restaurants, central location
  • Disliked — spotty service
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with friends