“Good location, okay room”

Shangri-La Hotel Qingdao
Ranked #2 of 1,648 Hotels in Qingdao
Brooklyn, New York
“Good location, okay room”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Hotel was conveniently located in town. Starbucks, McDonald's, 7-11, Pizza Hut are closed by. Supermarket (Carrefera?) is a 20 minutes walk. Beach and Wind of May Statue is all within walking distance. Bus stop is five minutes away. However, traffic in the area is horrrendous. If you are on a business trip or does not want to get stuck in traffic - get a hotel closer to the beach area (Intercontinental or Hyatt). The metro system is currently under construct and should be finish by next year, it should help with the traffic situation. Room was smaller than expected, but comfortable. Staff was friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: There are two wings in this hotel, we stay at the older side. Supposely, rooms in the new wing is b...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
SLQCHINA, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Qingdao, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Dear Benson W,

Thank you for staying at Shangri-La Hotel, Qingdao. My team and I are delighted to learn that you have enjoyed our services and facilities. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Henry Lee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Seoul, South Korea
Reviewed 10 August 2014

My friend invited me to stay here 4 nights, when we decided to visit Qingdao, china.
it was a fun city, but my stay here at this hotel was not,
So...
I remember, the staff acted in a very condescending manner to my friend, then when i approached to help my friend, they act this way to me too.....
i did not like it. i also thought the door man, did not know his manners. i think the door mans name was Andy.... he was tall and young guy.... i also saw him treating a well-known foreigner like garbage, he was ignoring his questions when he was asking for help....
i observed this interaction between the door man and this foreign guest, i thought it was unacceptable. no matter who it is, no matter how many question, you should always help them.

The impression i am receiving is this door man is ignorant, or he do not like foreigner guests... and if he do not like foreigner guests, he should not work at this hotel.

i will conclude this review, and i will write my final thoughts.
My final thoughts..... Not so good staff, condescending tone, and the price is too high.
That is all.

Room Tip: I would not come here... .but if you want to stay here, you can negotiate room prices with one of th...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Geng B
SLQCHINA, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Qingdao, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear Geng B,

Thank you for staying with us and for providing us with your feedback.

I am very disappointed to read about your unpleasant encounters and would sincerely like to apologize for the service breakdown.

We would like to understand and further discuss what has happened in detail. May I please request if you can contact myself in person at henry.lee@shangri-la.com.

Thank you for sharing your feedback and I remain at your disposal for any further assistance.

Yours sincerely

Beijing, China
Reviewed 9 August 2014

The hotel lives up to its branding as an international 5 stars hotel. The staff at the check-in counters were professional and helpful. They were patient and courteous even as local guests attempted to jump queue and demanded to be served first. The check-in staff was very nice in trying to retrieve my membership details, as all I could recall was that I had a green-coloured Shangrila hotel membership card. She even wanted to issue me a new membership card.

The room I had was very nice and clean, just what you would expect in a Shangri-la hotel. The breakfast area is large, have a large selection of food and resemble a shopping mall food court. I was courteously brought to my table by the young service staff standing at the entrance to the breakfast area. However, this is where it started to fall short. Once shown my table, my request for a cup of coffee was relayed to another staff and it took almost 15 mins and several other reminders before my cup of coffee arrived. Asking for a refill can be a test of patience. At the risk of nitpicking, the attentiveness of the staff in the dining area left much to be desired.
The bell-hop was very helpful in assisting my travelling companions and I get a taxi. He nicely suggested that we add a tip when there was no response to our taxi booking. He gave destination instructions to the taxi driver which ensure that we arrived at our destination on time using the shortest route.
Overall, it was a great stay as one would expect of a Shangrila hotel.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Dear Oylin65,

Thank you for choosing Shangri-La Hotel, Qingdao and thank you for your review. My team and I are delighted to learn that you had a great stay experience in the hotel. I am concerned about the feedback on breakfast service and will address this with my Food & Beverage team.

Once again thank you for staying at Shangri-La Hotel, Qingdao. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Henry Lee,
vic
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Although the hotel might look nice, the staff although friendly, have not been trained to offer customers a luxurious service with high level of customer service.
The bar manager in club room although a lovely man, does not know how to make a good cocktail..
The club room was not as good as I would have hoped it could have been. The breakfast in CAFE YUM is ok.. The CAFE YUM looks like a 3 star restaurant..
Overall, for a shangri la hotel, it must present itself as a five star hotel, but i would rate it a 4 star hotel as the staff need much more training. The staff are very nice, but management needs to train the staff in providing a more luxurious service especially when it comes to catering foods.

Room Tip: don't bother with this hotel, why not try the westin, they look like they are more of a five sta...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
SLQCHINA, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Qingdao, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear liza786,

Thank you for your review. We are disappointed and sorry to learn that our services and Cafe Yum did not meet your expectations during your stay with us. Rest assured the shortcomings will be the topic of discussion with our department heads concerned.

Thank you for staying with us and for your feedback. Should your travel arrangements bring you back to Qingdao, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at henry.lee@shangri-la.com.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 4 August 2014

It was my first business trip to China and we checked in to Shangri-La Qingdao. Large and spacious room, clean and comfy bed. Overall experience was great and awesome. Perhaps, it could be one of the best hotel i have ever stayed at. One last thing that i would like to compliment was the breakfast, many choices to choose from and the quality was really awesome, beyond expectations compared to most of the 5 star hotels out there.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
SLQCHINA, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Qingdao, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear xanderghx,

Thank you for staying at Shangri-La Hotel, Qingdao.

My team and I are pleased to learn that you had a wonderful staying experience. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Otopeni
Reviewed 4 August 2014

This hotel is absolutely magnificent. Starting with the lobby area which is very large it's offering you a very good impression. Personnel is very polite and professional. Everything is huge is this hotel. The room I've got was very large, bathroom as well. Comfort is guaranteed. Breakfast was delicious but because the hotel is so big ans has so many tourists the breakfast zone was a little crowded. Overall I enjoyed the stay at Shangri hotel and I warmly recommend it. You'll never forget it.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Dear Christian P,

Thank you for choosing Shangri-La Hotel, Qingdao and for taking your time to share your staying experience with us.

My team and I are delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 26 July 2014

The Shangri-La is a large hotel that - at least during a summer weekend - seems to cater to families. There is a large, spacious lobby. Service was excellent. I was upgraded to a very comfortable suite (see photos). Internet and breakfast are included in the room price. The room is very comfortable and spacious. All the facilities work fine. There is plenty of storage space for clothes, both in closets and drawers. There are two bathrooms and a make-up desk, as well as a business desk, TVs in both rooms, a small kitchenette too.

The only shortcoming is a lack of convenient outlets for recharging. End up putting items in places where they are not to hand.

The breakfast buffet was excellent, with a wide variety of fresh and freshly-cooked foods. The breakfast room can get full and generate a wait for a table, so it would be worth asking at what time that happens.

Room Tip: Ask when the breakfast room gets busy so you don't have to wait in line for a table.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
SLQCHINA, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Qingdao, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear arjaydobleyoo,

Thank you for staying at Shangri-La Hotel, Qingdao.

We are pleased to learn that you enjoyed our service and facilities, in particular for our guest room and breakfast. My team and I are looking forward to welcoming back soon.