“Good location. Okay hotel.”
Review of Huanghai Hotel

Huanghai Hotel
Ranked #38 of 1,654 Hotels in Qingdao
Shanghai, China
“Good location. Okay hotel.”
Reviewed 6 November 2011

The hotel is situated very close to the beach (across a terrible road junction) but there was a nice walk along the promenade.

The hotel itself was fine and clean but felt a bit stuffy. The bed was fairly uncomfortable and the food was very average for a hotel. People were allowed to smoke in the dining areas which was pretty grim... Few of the reception staff spoke English.

Not sure I'd choose to stay there again, but it was okay.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Singapore
Reviewed 14 October 2011

I stayed in this hotel in for two days in mid-September and my stay was very comfortable. My room on the 7th floor was clean and the bed was very comfortable. The pillows were a little flat but I found extra pillows in the cupboards. One of those pillows had a very smoky smell to it, though. The hotel was near a park, which had amusement rides and a sky-ride up a hill. The breakfast buffet was delicious and there was a large selection of different types of tea. The staff of the hotel were very helpful as well.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank smrolls
Superior, Colorado
Reviewed 17 August 2010

We were here for a family reunion. My husband's family is Chinese and I'm American. My first impression was not good: the lobby was filled with smokers and coming from the US, this was very hard on my kids, who have rarely been exposed to smoke.

We had 2 rooms on 4th floor. Sadly, since we had a group rate, we could not get a room on the sole non-smoking floor (an upper floor which is also a higher rate). That's a rip-off--non-smokers are forced to pay more. The rooms were adequate. Two twin beds, but a bit too hard for western standards.

The bathroom was odd! We called it a fishtank. You could see the shower from the bedroom as it's only separated by a glass wall. There is a shade, but it doesn't offer a lot of privacy and doesn't block the light. The shower itself is very nice. Lots of water pressure and rainwater shower head. Plenty of toiletries. But they provide poor towels and not one extra (and since my shower leaked, I would have liked an extra one or two since I always had to mop up the floor).

Speaking of the lights, the bathroom light was on a motion sensor. Cool idea, but didn't always work. It sometimes went on during the night and woke me up.

The issue with my room was the smoky smell. They brought a machine to clean it out, but it did no good. It always smelled like smoke was being pumped into my room. My husband's did not have the same issue.

We ate at the buffet on the first and second floor for breakfast. Here again, only okay. Mostly Chinese food and really not that good. Some American food but for Westerners the pickings are slim. They also serve lunch and dinner, but the choices don't change, so after 2 days you will get tired of the food. The quality is okay, but not the best. We did have a private banquet and the food quality did seem a bit better.

The location is good for beach-goers. About a 5 minute walk. Not much else nearby that I liked (such as shopping and other dining options). There is a KFC that my kids and I ate at a few times.

Other things about this hotel: not enough elevators (always full and too slow). Internet access is free in room. Workout facilities pretty lame.

Overall only 2 stars from and a no recommendation.

• Stayed August 2010
2 Thank pjc62
Ushuaia, Argentina
Reviewed 24 July 2010

It´s a 4 star hotel, clean and comfortable. Breakfast and buffet are OK, bar is VERY expensive. The staff (at the front desk) manage little English (which is neither my mother language). I expected to have a spa and a massage room and got nothing or the "european amorous massage" instead.
At my arrival, they argued that I had lost my reservation since I check in at 11 pm (after a journey 40 hours) although I have noticed them by email and phone that I would arrive later than 6 pm (their check in limit). Anyway, I got a better room for the same price for that night.
No shuttle to the Airport
Be careful at Qingdao airport and DO NOT accept a taxi offered inside the building since they charged the double than the regular ones, just at the left of the exit.
Nice and frequent wedding parties during the weekend days.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank Alejandro_USH
Upstate NY
Reviewed 28 June 2008

This is a resort-format hotel a couple furlongs back from the beach, in the older, western section of town. I paid about $85 a night on business.

The room itself was clean and functional, the fixtures comparable to an American hotel in that price range, though the interior not as new as what you find in the newer hotels. If you want non-smoking you have to ask for the non-smoking floor.

The location is pretty nice. You can see, and when the sea-breeze blows, hear, the beach from the higher floors (about 7 & up). The windows open so you can let the sea-breeze in. The Badaguan area is close by, as are Zhongshan Lu and the new rail station (when they finish it).

I met only one other Westerner when I was here. Most of the patrons are vacationers, who were sometimes noisy into the night.

The internet connectivity to the US wasn't very good, an increasingly common problem with Chinese hotels. Speed was only marginally better than dial-up. A room with internet is 100 RMB extra. In hindsight I probably shouldn't have bothered and just gone to the business center.

The breakfast spread was better than average for a Chinese hotel. Not that much Western style food though.

The available common facilities seem to be aimed at delivering a complete vacation package all in the hotel. Among them are a couple different styles of restaurants, a fairly complete business center, and some retail shopping. And a KTV & girly massage parlor if you are into that sort of thing. The weight room equipment covered most of the basics. There is a billiards table and hair salon. An airline ticket office is in a nearby outbuilding

In sum, this is a good hotel for a vactioner on a budget. It is OK as a business hotel but not the best choice for that purpose unless you have a reason to be in that area.

• Stayed May 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank The_Conductor
Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
Reviewed 29 August 2007

I have traveled to P. R. China about 10 times, and have stayed at about 25-30 hotels in China, ranging from 3-star to 5-star. I have always found the hotels were properly rated until this visit. I do not know how the Haunghai Hotel got its 4th star. I was there for four days.

The room was no more than 3-star, and ditto for the service. The lock on my room broke (using a card-key), and after three days being let in by housekeeping whenever I needed to get in, they finally admitted the lock was broken (after blaming me for not knowing how to use the card in the lock for three days), and with only one night more, they made me pack up and move all my luggage to another room.

The rooms didn't even have a clock, much less an alarm that could be set. The air conditioning was not sufficient; it was about 80F in my room. The hotel website advertises CNN and NHK programming. There was no CNN. I don't think there was NHK, but I don't speak Japanese, so I'm not sure. CCTV channel 9 (Chinese government-run English language channel) was the only English language channel. There was no radio or other music in the room. They charged a high amount for Internet service in their business center. The bathroom had a faint ripe-onion aroma I associate with 3-star hotels. (On the positive side, the shower was great; plenty of hot water.)

The only thing 4-star about the hotel is the breakfast, which did rate the 4th star; it was very good. I note that until recently, the hotel was a 3-star hotel. Since Qingdao is hosting the sailing portions of the 2008 Olympics, maybe the city had to show a certain number (or percentage) of 4- and 5-star hotels.

I was there attending a conference. My wife travels with me about half the time I go to China. I am thankful she wasn't along for this trip, and didn't have to put up with the Haunghai Hotel.

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Disliked — The room
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank IndyRuss
So Calif
Reviewed 25 February 2005

Stayed at this hotel June '04. Hotel itself was very clean and modern. Standard rooms with a beautiful oceanview. Amenities included all toiletries, electric thermos to heat water, decent tv and a stiff bed (it seems all beds in China are very stiff). Restaurants were very good. I had an American breakfast included with my room. Another restaurant was a buffet type with large variety of Chinese food plus all the Singtao beer you could drink. Entertainment was a karaoke club but I did not use it. I was solicited a few times to use the massage therapy facilities to "relieve" stress. The hotel is a 5 minute walk to the ocean which was very clean and enticing. The one drawback about this hotel is that outside of the hotel, there are very few restaurants within walking distance, so you had to use a cab (fares are very cheap though). Terrific seafood at most restaurants in and out of the hotel.

• Stayed May 2004