“Needs new carpet”

Ranked #40 of 1,672 Hotels in Qingdao
Oklahoma
“Needs new carpet”
Reviewed 15 July 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for 5 nights. We had a two room suite that was spacious with two flat screens. Thankfully, we were on the non-smoking floor. The Internet was wired but did work nicely. Every day, they supplied free bottled water, which was appreciated. Cotton robes were also included. The towels were of poor quality and not many included. The bed was very hard with no boxspring. Some oddities of the room were the bathrooms had mirrored walls and the soap was dispensed in large pump bottles, all marked in Mandarin. The carpets were filthy with many dirt spots - wear the slippers. The air conditioning must have been on a timer. Every morning, we woke up at 2AM sweating and had to reset the thermostat. The room then cooled down. Ate at the restaurant several times. Many local fish and vegetable dishes of average quality served buffer style. The same food every day.

• Stayed June 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 23 September 2012

Outdated, small rooms, very dirty carpet, no air-conditioning, hard beds. Should I say more?
Staying in a hotel like this can ruin one's impression of Qingdao. Also, very dissappointing that only wired Internet connection is available, no WiFi. I had no use of my iPad or iPhone. I will definitely not stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 28 May 2012

This hotel is already 29 years old, with small rooms and hard beds; food is okay (except breakfast for foreigners); the location is excellent; staff is relatively indifferent. Almost no foreign channels on TV, and a gloomy atmosphere in the evening, more like a hospital.
This hotel is used mainly by government people on duty, and the atmosphere suffers under this aspect; fortunately, the Beer Street is not too far.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Labienus
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 6 November 2011

The hotel is situated very close to the beach (across a terrible road junction) but there was a nice walk along the promenade.

The hotel itself was fine and clean but felt a bit stuffy. The bed was fairly uncomfortable and the food was very average for a hotel. People were allowed to smoke in the dining areas which was pretty grim... Few of the reception staff spoke English.

Not sure I'd choose to stay there again, but it was okay.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Singapore
Reviewed 14 October 2011

I stayed in this hotel in for two days in mid-September and my stay was very comfortable. My room on the 7th floor was clean and the bed was very comfortable. The pillows were a little flat but I found extra pillows in the cupboards. One of those pillows had a very smoky smell to it, though. The hotel was near a park, which had amusement rides and a sky-ride up a hill. The breakfast buffet was delicious and there was a large selection of different types of tea. The staff of the hotel were very helpful as well.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank smrolls
Superior, Colorado
Reviewed 17 August 2010

We were here for a family reunion. My husband's family is Chinese and I'm American. My first impression was not good: the lobby was filled with smokers and coming from the US, this was very hard on my kids, who have rarely been exposed to smoke.

We had 2 rooms on 4th floor. Sadly, since we had a group rate, we could not get a room on the sole non-smoking floor (an upper floor which is also a higher rate). That's a rip-off--non-smokers are forced to pay more. The rooms were adequate. Two twin beds, but a bit too hard for western standards.

The bathroom was odd! We called it a fishtank. You could see the shower from the bedroom as it's only separated by a glass wall. There is a shade, but it doesn't offer a lot of privacy and doesn't block the light. The shower itself is very nice. Lots of water pressure and rainwater shower head. Plenty of toiletries. But they provide poor towels and not one extra (and since my shower leaked, I would have liked an extra one or two since I always had to mop up the floor).

Speaking of the lights, the bathroom light was on a motion sensor. Cool idea, but didn't always work. It sometimes went on during the night and woke me up.

The issue with my room was the smoky smell. They brought a machine to clean it out, but it did no good. It always smelled like smoke was being pumped into my room. My husband's did not have the same issue.

We ate at the buffet on the first and second floor for breakfast. Here again, only okay. Mostly Chinese food and really not that good. Some American food but for Westerners the pickings are slim. They also serve lunch and dinner, but the choices don't change, so after 2 days you will get tired of the food. The quality is okay, but not the best. We did have a private banquet and the food quality did seem a bit better.

The location is good for beach-goers. About a 5 minute walk. Not much else nearby that I liked (such as shopping and other dining options). There is a KFC that my kids and I ate at a few times.

Other things about this hotel: not enough elevators (always full and too slow). Internet access is free in room. Workout facilities pretty lame.

Overall only 2 stars from and a no recommendation.

• Stayed August 2010
2 Thank pjc62
Ushuaia, Argentina
Reviewed 24 July 2010

It´s a 4 star hotel, clean and comfortable. Breakfast and buffet are OK, bar is VERY expensive. The staff (at the front desk) manage little English (which is neither my mother language). I expected to have a spa and a massage room and got nothing or the "european amorous massage" instead.
At my arrival, they argued that I had lost my reservation since I check in at 11 pm (after a journey 40 hours) although I have noticed them by email and phone that I would arrive later than 6 pm (their check in limit). Anyway, I got a better room for the same price for that night.
No shuttle to the Airport
Be careful at Qingdao airport and DO NOT accept a taxi offered inside the building since they charged the double than the regular ones, just at the left of the exit.
Nice and frequent wedding parties during the weekend days.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business