“Very nice hotel”

Ranked #19 of 160 Hotels in Datong
Sydney
“Very nice hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013 via mobile

Modern large hotel, located on a busy road. The reception area is large and the staff generally friendly. Although the preferred language of communication is Putonghua, many staff spoke some English.

Bedrooms:
Large and spacious with sitting area and desk, coffee making, a safe and fridge. Complimentary slippers. The air condition only works to heat,

Bathroom:
Large, separate shower stall with a good flow of hot water, supplies of shower gel. Shampoo, toothbrush, toothpaste, comb, razor, shower cap.

WiFi - free in the reception area.

Breakfast:
Excellent selection of Chinese cuisine, breads, fruits, coffee, tea.

Highly recommended

• Stayed October 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
beijing
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2013

Good place, though with typically showy fake opulence for this genre of chinese hotel. The place was immaculately clean, my room didn't smell like smoke, the bed had a western style mattress (i.e. soft) and good pillows, no problems with the AC - overall I'd give it good marks. The room even had a tub - a rare treat for a chinese hotel. The downsides: the location is far from anything, the breakfast is the usual chinese hotel fare (mix of chinese and western dishes, none of them amazing), and the staffing situation at the front desk was dismal - it took me at least 20 minutes to check in and out, with just 2-3 staff scurrying around trying to handle all the customers (slowly). Considering that there were staff standing around the lobby, the restaurant, pretty much everywhere else doing nothing, this really boggled my mind. True, it was a busy weekend with a big event in town, but it's not like they didn't know that was coming up.

Bottom line: if the location works for you and you can afford it, it's a reliable choice, but nothing to write home about.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Dallas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2013

I'm in the middle of a two night stay. To me, the luxury at this price outweighs about the strangest staff attitude I've encountered in international travel. The answer is to expect NOTHING and you won't be disappointed. There's almost a bit of hostility to it. Anyway, I would stay here again because of the quality of the physical plant. By the way, found a very good buffet restaurant for dinner on Yingblin just kitty corner from the hotel. About $20US.

Room Tip: Booking.com got me this one
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2013

We stayed 2 nights at this hotel for our trip to Datong. The hotel is clean. Rooms are clean. The complaint we had was that there wasn`t any AC during our stay. When we went to ask at the front desk they told us there was only AC for 3 hours during the day at noon time (couldn`t understand why because my chinese isn`t very good). We had a hard time sleeping because it was 30 degrees Celcius + outside (we stayed May 12-13). We had to open the windows at night otherwise unbearable. But the smog in Datong was very bad for one of the nights.

The staff at the front desk only spoke Chinese.
The breakfast selection was OK. They even had an ice cream machine in case you needed!
Wouldn`t stay there again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2010

This place is perfect for those who like the "look" of luxury...but beyond that, the hotel doesn't measure up at all. I'll elaborate:

The hotel is entirely over-decorated...fancy chandeliers, a fake fireplace in each room, elaborate woodwork, more light switches than I could ever use (including a light under the bedside tables...for slippers maybe? The list goes on.

But, none of that stuff really matters to me. When I got into the bed, the thread count on the linen was so low that it actually felt scratchy instead of soft. There is a window between the bathroom and the bedroom, which you can see through (bathroom time should be privacy time). Also, the gym is open to the public and full of people (plus, the attendant didn't even know how to use the tv on the treadmill).

My biggest complaint is that I visited the concierge to ask for assistance with a city map, a tour to the grottoes, and transportation options to nearby Wutaishan. For the map, she could only sell me one from the gift shop which was way too big and had no English. For the tour, she said the only option was a private car for $150 (we ended up getting a taxi on the street, which took us there for $6 each way!), and she said that we had to take a taxi to the train station in order to book any transportation. There was no mention of the CITS travel agent one block away, which was far more helpful. Overall, I felt like she was just trying to sell us things instead of actually helping.

I know tourists are an easy revenue source in China, but I stay at luxury hotels to avoid those silly games. Unfortunately, this hotel is all show and no substance.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends