Fly by Knight Datong Hostel
  • Pool
  • Breakfast included
Mingya Hotel(Datong)
View Hotel
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Datong is a little off the beaten path but is definitely worth a visit if you have two days to spare. Both the hanging temple and grottoes were beautiful. Fly by Knight Datong only enhanced the experience. The owner set us and a couple other travelers with a driver for the day to get us to the hanging temple. The hostel was super clean and the bed was the softest I'd stayed in. The view of the city was also gorgeous. I can't endorse this hostel enough.

Pro tip: Over Chinese New Year the city is pretty dead, so many restaurants are closed. However, there is an awesome lantern festival worth a couple hours of exploration so think about going then!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank tapman90
Reviewed 8 February 2014

This hostel is really amazing! At the 22nd floor of a big building very close to Datong old town, you can find this cool and friendly hostel. It is a pretty new place, so everything works perfectly and it is very well done. The bed are so comfortable that even if you sleep few hours, you will fell renew and full of energy. The shower are even better than the ones I have at home! There is hot water - even hotter like hell if you wish.
Honestly beds and showers are best I found in China so far!!

As soon as you get inside, Daniel (the owner) told us to use the slippers (offered by the hostel) to walk around, because there is a parquet floor!!

The ambient is very friendly and the chilling spot allows you to meet tons of people and to have very nice conversations. There is wi-fi and a computer available (with VPN!).

Last but not least: Daniel. I decided to visit Datong in February, therefore outside was very cold (around -13 degrees). I arrived by train - sleeping seats - at 5.20. The hostel was pretty easy to find, in particular because the will send you an email with all the details and information you need.
By the way I arrived at the hostel in 15min and I woke up the owner (Daniel) arriving so early. Nevertheless, he was really nice and kind welcoming us and showing our beds even so early in the morning. In addiction, even if I was just arrived he took car of us calling a taxi driver to arrange our round-trip of the day as soon as possible. Daniel, I thank you again for this!

In the end, the hostel can take care of all your needs, even at the last moment, and it is very reliable to arrange your trip in the surrounding area.

Deeply suggested!! It is just at the beginning, but soon it will be even better!

p.s. there is a awesome barbecue place just downstairs, where you can have an unbelieveble nice time and dinner for just 69rmb!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Leonardo T
FlybyKnightTeam, Manager at Fly by Knight Datong Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2014

Dear Leonaard: Thank you so much for such a great review!
we are very glad that you enjoyed your trip. and really happy to see you enjoy our beds :)
we did invest a lot on these comfortable beds, and it's makes us very happy to see someone appreciate them. if you have time, come back to visit in the summer, we would love to have you as our guest again!
Best regards

Reviewed 26 January 2014

I'm really happy to have found such a comfortable and clean place to stay which I didn't expect to find in a smaller city.

Also pleasantly surprised how helpful the staff are. They helped me with more than just the basics.

I just want to say I highly recommend staying here if you're in Datong.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank Molly C
FlybyKnightTeam, Manager at Fly by Knight Datong Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

Hi Molly: Thank you so much for your review! it makes us very happy to see another satisfied guest!

Reviewed 26 January 2014

Fly By Knight Datong is a wonderful hostel and we were very lucky to be their guest. It got various room types for us to choose; the room we had is huge, clean and bright with big windows from which we’re able to see a great view of Datong city. The bathroom is clean; the shower water is hot and strong, which I like a lot. What I love the best is the public kitchen, where every guest is free to use all the equipment; it’s spotless clean, comfortable and very convenient for us to cook an easy meal. The owners can speak fluent English and had been very friendly and helpful. It’s fun and relaxing to chat with them. They also recommended us many good local Datong foods to eat and special scenic spots to go. We met lots of new friends from different countries and had a great impression of this warm and cozy hostel. The price is not cheap but very worth it. We can’t wait to plan our next trip to Beijing, and Fly By Knight Beijing will definitely be our first choice.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank katechin

Dear Kate:
you and your boy friend were both wonderful guests! we are happy to host you guys for the 3 nights, and if you do visit Beijing in the near future, we will be happy to reserve you a room in our Beijing branch!

Reviewed 26 January 2014

A very clean and modern hostel. The common area was big and had a great view over Datong (you can see the old city lit up at night). The staff are friendly and helped us book all our rides to the sights we wanted to see. I highly recommend this place for anyone who wants a relaxing place to stay in Datong and meet some fellow travelers!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Arthur T

Dear Arthur: we appreciate the great review! really glad you en joyed your stay here! we miss you here too! you brought so much laughter and joy to this hostel. and THANK YOU for your coffee! one of the best thing we received so far!