“Amazing Stay at the Dragon Town Hostel”

Chengdu Dragon Town Sichuan Style Hostel
Ranked #91 of 410 Speciality Lodging in Chengdu
Reviewed 12 September 2011

We stayed at the Dragon Town International Youth Hostel during our family trip to China, with our 2 year old son. The hostel has a nice courtyard, in which my son could run around and feed the fish in the fish pond. The staff members were so friendly and helpful to us! They played with my son, helped us with booking our flight to Shangrila and our next hostel, provided travel information on all the places we visited in Sichuan, helped us book hotels. It was truly an amazing service!
As written in other reviews, the location of the hostel is awesome, in a pedestrian zone with many restaurants and bars, close to the People's Park and the bus station.
To summarize, we really enjoyed our stay in the Dragon Town. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 29 August 2011

This is down a little pedestrianised street which is full of little bars, restaurants and shops and feels increadbly safe at all hours. The trip to the panda sanctuary is definitly a must and a bargain, and along with a visit to the crazy 'peoples park' it was the highlight of the trip. The room was big, as was the bathroom in the double ensuite however it has a lingering damp smell. It was fine for the two days we were there, but not sure for much longer. Although it is a hostel, they didnt service the room each day (empty toilet bin) which we have been used to in other hostels in China. All in all, the location and price made it a good place to stay.

Room Tip: maybe opt for an upstairs room as this may eliviate the damp smell.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 August 2011

We stayed here the first nights of our China and Tibet roundtrip, and we loved it. Ok - it really isn't perfect. There were a couple of cockroaches hiding under our bathtub, and the aircon were either really high or really low, and the old computer had internet not even worthy of 1995.
But all that aside, I have very fond memories of this hostel. It has loads of charm, it has an easygoing spirit, easy to meet people, and just a general really good atmosphere. This, to me, is more important that anything else. You know, that x factor. This place has it. The staff was helpful too, the breakfast was really tasty, and served outside in a beautiful little courtyard. My favourite aspect was probably the location. It is just on a little backstreet full of street food stalls and little local restaurants, which is where we had one of our best meals in China. The Sichuan BBQ, oh my god! Fantastic. And the hostel was just a few footsteps away, the perfect place to roll into after cruising the neighbourhood beer and BBQ crowds. Biased by good memories, perhaps, but I loved it. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 May 2011

Initially I choose this hostel because of its heritage value along the kuan lane but I believe I was not enjoying the sleep.

Here is my review.
Environment : Hostel has its heritage beauty of a chinese cultural home from the entrance door only but inside the hostel is all modern design.

Around Hostel: This is the only area I like about this hostel where its located at a heritage lane with many modern cafes and restaurant but is all splurge.

Staff : Staff is friendly and helpful.

Room & Sleep Quality : I would say this is the worst as I am comparing only the 4 bed/room. Our room is near the entrance and the walkway is all wooden path which make it very noisy even during nighttime as people are walking in and out.

I would only recommend this hostel if you like chinese heritage and also staying at splurge room inside and at 2nd floor.

Room Tip: Room inside and at upper floors are less noisy.
  • Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 March 2011

The hostel is on a back street near one of the main shopping streets and the bell and drum towers in the old town . The street is frequented by locals and I guess some people may find this threatening but when we were there we had no problem.
Easy bus ride from Xi'an central train station ( make sure you get a train ticket for the central station not Xi'an south!)
The hostel has great tips on travelling around the area in tours or on your own.
The staff are friendly and the downstairs bar and unstairs roof terrace are really cool. We had a double room ensuite on the ground floor. The room itself was quite dark as it faced onto a wall. It was also a bit noisy as the bar was only a couple of meters away. The bathroom was clean but smelt a little musty. If I was to stay here again then I would ask for a room on another floor.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 December 2010

found this place on map but a bit down about them. After make the online booking, no one will contact u like they never exists. Even when I try to send them emails twice, still no reply. We have to do some kind of risky exploring to go there. Thanks god, we finnally have got a room.

Noisy as all youth hostels, location and atmosphere are good. All facilities are OK considering the price. However, it is just a so so hostel, nothing exordinary good. Nothing need to remember particularsly. I will forget this place soon.

• Stayed: October 2010
Reviewed 29 November 2010

1. Location: in the middle of an 'old street' area in Chengdu: the Kuanzhai Xiang ('Broad-Narrow Alley'). Set in a beautifully conserved area (if, somewhat commercialised). Easy access (by foot and taxi) to other places of interest in downtown Chengdu.

2. Hotel setting: as the area is made up of conserved buildings, the hostel itself is similarly well-appointed. Nice courtyard area for gathering with other backpackers. However, in keeping with the decor of the general area, the corridors are wood panelled, which can be noisy when other guests return late at night.

3. Rooms: comfortable, clean, with toilets / showers. No TV but with aircon / heater. The room I was in had no windows, which I am ok with but fellow traveller found her room a tad stuffy.

4. Staff: mostly young people, who speak good Mandarin (Putonghua) (a point I make cos some hospitality staff would only speak in Sichuanese, which can be hard for a Mandarin speaker to understand; hard - not impossible) and passable English. Will help when asked but not exactly forthcoming in assistance.

5. Services: Typical backpackers' hostel, with travel services to other parts of the province and country. Laundry services, movie screenings, books are also available.

6. Value: a bit expensive for a backpackers' hostel; but that is cos I picked an en-suite single room to stay in. Other hotels in the downtown Chengdu go for the same amount. Dorm rooms are available though.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends