“Nice welcome, food excellent, room a disappointment”

Minshan Lhasa Grand Hotel
Ranked #182 of 2,748 Hotels in Chengdu
Reviewed 7 June 2012

We had a nice tibet welcome at this hotel which is located on a busy intersection, but easy to walk to shops, markets etc. If your not a shopper like me, then it is nice to walk out of the hotel turn left and into the residential area, we came across a exercise street, where lots of people were doing their daily exercises old and young together. As we walked we also came across, what I would describe as a fete. Music, a childrens performance, local stalls, it was a great find, we just sat and did some people watching.

Back to the hotel itself - I think we were unlucky with the room, as when we went in I could not understand why the curtains were closed, I did when I opened the . We overlooked the dinning room, where a wedding was taking place, a noisy wedding, so with no natural light and a lot of noise we went out. The air conditioning was poor, in fact one couple had a bucket of ice sent to there room to help with the heat! luckily i like heat! Apart from that the room was fine, and I think if you have a room on the otherwise of the corridor people were quiet happy. We did think the breakfast noise would wake us, it did not.

The breakfast was very good, lots of choice and a good mixture of western and chinese. We also had dinner here, and it was very good, one of the best hotel meals on the trip. The bar area was nice as had been refurbished, small but not crowded.

All in all not too bad, but try and get a room on the exterior wall of the hotel, we never opened the curtains, and if a wedding is going on you knew about it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the exterior wall of the hotel to avoid looking out over the dinning room
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 14 May 2012

This was the best hotel we stayed on during our trip. The hotel is well located for walking to quality stores and pedestrian areas.
When we arrived we received an amazing Tibetan reception with gifts and poems/songs. The staff are exceptionally helpful, the rooms are beautifully appointed and very clean, although there was no bath.- only a shower.
Food was very good, although the huge mural of the Potala is a bit overpowering in the dining room.
Would recommend it without hesitation.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Boyscot
Reviewed 11 May 2012

Stayed 3 nights;Rooms small but all facilities of a good 4 star is available except for any TV channel from a non chinese source.A great inadequecy.High class breakfact to suit western palate but breakfast room a hot house due to lack of ventilation.Bed ideal for a long snooze.Room internet responds to touch.

Staff very responsive to attend to request made via telephone in English.They were attended speedily a feature alien in china.

Room Tip: Test whether air con works to satisfaction on entering room
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 July 2011

The Dinner here was the best on Tour.. very varied and good variety.Buffet breakfast with western and chinese dishes. Rooms comfortable, tastefully furnsihed. On headboard are various switches one of which indicates on a panel outside the door... do not disturb good idea to check its not on by accident otherwise the room will not be cleaned !!. beds hard but same as other hotels seems to be the norm.Safety deposit boxes next to Reception free of charge, mini bars in rooms. Very good, clean standard throughout , can even borrow an unbrella if its rainig ! Hotel was opposite small supermarket and Pharmacy, out of Hotel right down the road a large supermarket open till approx 10pm.Look forward to staying there again !!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
5  Thank Bluenile
Reviewed 17 July 2011

We stayed in this hotel as part of a Travelsphere tour, highlights of China. Average tourist type hotel and fine for a couple of nights stay as part of the trip.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Johnboyholidaykid
Reviewed 2 April 2011

I only stayed in Chengdu for 2 nights to visit the Panda Breeding Center, but was quite impressed by the rooms at this hotel. The hotel is centrally located, the rooms were spacious and offered fine amenities, my favorite being the rainforest shower. They also offer robes, in-room safes, room service and climate control. The beds were hard but the comforter was cozy. The breakfast buffet offered a lot of items both for either a Western style or Chinese style breakfast and it dining area was lovely.

My only complaint is that the staff did not really speak English, and this is supposed to be a "tourist class" hotel. Luckily I had a private guide to help me translate, otherwise there may have been some problems with communication.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
5  Thank Ling1674
Reviewed 18 March 2011

It rates itself 4-star but is definitely a 3. With this understood then this is a small, comfortable hotel with a Tibetan flavour, which I like. There is only one restaurant on the second floor, but it is spacious, serves good food at a reasonable price (by hotel standard) and has a 2-storey, 3-D mockup of the Potala Palace. It is impressive to look at and to take pictures in front of. Unless, of course, you have seen the real thing. And I have. The hotel is frequented by visitors from Tibet and this gives it a good flavour.

The negatives are: no pool; gym is too small and ill-equipped to be of use; so-so location. The staff were friendly but I suspect their English language skill is limited or none. I was OK because I speak the language.

Everything inside the room worked and I had a non-smoking room that did not smell of cigarette, which is often not the case with 3-star hotels in China. And I had heat on a cold day, something that was missing in my 5-star hotel (Howard Johnson) stay in Chongqing.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business