“Great Hotel In Chengdu” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #25 of 2,639 Hotels in Chengdu
Markinch, United Kingdom
“Great Hotel In Chengdu”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2012

Stayed in this hotel for 3 weeks on a business trip. The hotel really is a five star (in my experience anyway). I was a little bit apprehensive about going to China, probably due to the language issues more than anything else. I'd read some reviews about the staff at this hotel not being able to speak English. Well that is not true at all. Almost all the staff I encountered and met could speak or at least make an attempt to speak English. If they couldn't understand there was always someone nearby who could help.

The location for me was ideal as the Technology area was just a 5 minute taxi ride. The Panda Research base is around 1 hour away and roughly costs 150-200RMB. Chengdui downtown is around the same maybe slightly cheaper..

I'd especially like to personally thank Mr Beluha, who was a great assistance to me during my stay in terms of letting me know things about the hotel and also the surroundinmg area.

The rooms are very nice and tidy. I had a junior suite which was more than spacious enough and always clean. Turn down service happened most nights I was out. Not really a problem for me if it wasnt't but nice touch. There is always a good supply of bottled drinking water too. Only complaint about the room was the noise from the corridor could sometimes be quite load. This was generally caused by 'coach parties' of Chinese tourists who thought it ok to shout at each other along the corridor. Maybe a cultural thing but might be worth putting up some notice at check-in to keep noise down during certain hours.

I spent most of my time eating in the Western Restaurant. The food was good. I didnt choose the buffet so cannot comment but it looked good. I visited the chinese restaurant once and it was good also. Unfortunately I didnt experience the Japanese restaurant but if I return again I certainly will.

I also used the pool and gym facilities which were fine. I'm sure the picture of the gym is different on the website(!) but it does the job. Didnt use the spa facilities but they looked good.

All in all, I had a very pleasurable experience staying in this hotel and would definately stay again. Keep up the good work!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank semi_travel
Brenda X, Manager at Wyndham Grand Plaza Royale Palace Chengdu, responded to this review, 10 September 2012
Dear valuable guest,we would like to take this opportunity to express our sincere thanks to you for staying at Wyndham Grand Plaza Royale Palace Chengdu and sharing with us your experiences. It was great to read your positive comments about our services,rooms and restaurants that you experienced during your stay.Especially thank you for praising words of our colleagues.Don't worry about the language issue because we always keep learning English and we have the execellent staff to service you.
We are very sorry to hear that the noisy was disturbed you.Please accept our sincerely apology.I will deliver your kindly suggestion to hotel management and take action to avoid the complaint.If have any problem you just call the Guest Service Center'0"or Duty Mnanager next time,we are glad to resolve the complaint promptly.
I should suggest that you MUST choose the Japanese restaurant next time,because it was the best speciality restaurant in town.The beautiful decoration,delicious food and personality service to make you feel comfortable.whatever you should taste it.
We have deleted the picture of GYM,it is the previous picture.We will upload the update one accordingly.We hope you enjoying the sunshine,the beatiful garden and the city in Chengdu!
At last we are sincerely looking forward to see you once again in Wyndham Grand Plaza Royale Palace Chengdu!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
San Francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2012

It was my second time to go visit Chengdu since 2003, the city has been changed a lot and i have choosen the Wyndham hotel which was not close to the downtown area. The hotel is located 30 mins away from Downtown area but where closed to a few famous tourist attractions (25 minutes to mount Qingcheng and 15 minutes to Dujiangyan by car). The hotel was only 1 year and a half old, it is a very new property and the room was huge compared with the downtown hotels. There was a beautiful garden in the back of the hotel and my son loves it. The japanese restaurant located inside the hotel was very cheap and it costed us less than US$15 per head with a great dinner. Dollar for value! I will definite come back to stay here due to a great and peaceful environment around the hotel and the overall services were excellent. By the way, there is a factory outlets located 20 mins away from the hotel and you can find all the international brands with a very good prices, such as Bally, coach, Amani, Timerland, calvin klein etc.. It took us almost 5 hours to go through the whole outlets' area and i did find some very local good restaurants in that area as well. Myself and my family love this great city and the hotel very much!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank andyshumpm
, Manager at Wyndham Grand Plaza Royale Palace Chengdu, responded to this review, 13 July 2012
Dear Mr Shum. Thank you so much for reviewing your stay at Wyndham Grand Plaza Royale Palace Chengdu. We are delighted to hear your positive feedback and kind words about our hotel and staff. Last but not lest, thank you for staying you us and we look forward to see you again.

We hope to welcome you back very soon!

Best regards,
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2012

Closest thing you will find to a 5 Star property in the Chengdu area. This hotel is located some 40 minuets to the NW of the city center, in a area that is very new.

The staff is excellent and all of them I encountered, with the exception of a lobby bartender, spoke decent English.

The rooms are posh and comfortable. The bed is on par with The Westin's Heavenly Bed. You can control all of the rooms lighting controls from the bed, everything is well labeled in English and Mandarin. The drapery works perfectly as a black out drape, great for jetlag. Bathroom is well appointed with high quality towels and robes. In room safe. Free WIFI worked great. At least 12 English TV channels on cable TV. The Air Conditioning works excellent, a plus for the hot China summers.

Because you are quite far away from food and shopping it's a plus that the restaurants on site are excellent. Beautiful Zen Garden behind the hotel.

Highly recommended for those looking for luxury accommodations.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
, Manager at Wyndham Grand Plaza Royale Palace Chengdu, responded to this review, 3 July 2012
Thank you for choosing Wyndham Grand Plaza Royale Palace Chengdu! We are looking forward to serve you once again.
In the Japanese restaurant you can enjoy the delicious food.we will also provide the excellent service to you.
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2011

When our travel agent told us they changed our hotel to the Wyndham Grand Plaza, my first reaction was 'Why on earth would they put us out in the middle of nowhere?!'.

However, there are some advantages to being in the middle of nowhere - it's peaceful, it's clean, it's less polluted, hard to find in many of China's cities.

The Wyndham Grand Plaza is luxurious, I can't find any fault with their rooms, it was beyond what I expected. The furnishings were plush and cosy and all amenities were provided. The views weren't the best but if you're in the middle of nowhere, you shouldn't expect much. The lobby is very pretty, we really liked the 'bird-cage' style lounge areas.

There is a small town about 15 minutes walk from the hotel. Within that town, there is a street lined with restaurants, mostly serving hotpot. At the end of the street is a market which sells fresh produce, e.g. meat, veggies and fruits. As the town is relatively new, there are still many developments in progress. I guess, once all of it is completed, the place would be a lot more lively.

One night we ate at the LV Cafe (all day dining restaurant). They had a special buffet menu which included crabs. It was good value for money if you are coming from a Western country but probably pricey for internal (China) standards.

They change limited currencies, e.g. USD, Japanese Yen but not the Aussie dollar.

A taxi from the hotel to the airport is approximately RMB150. To the city it is approx RMB130.

If I ever returned to Chengdu, I would still chose location over luxury so I would try another hotel in central Chengdu.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank kumquattraveller
Bennyjin, Manager at Wyndham Grand Plaza Royale Palace Chengdu, responded to this review, 8 December 2011
Thank you for choosing Wyndham Grand Plaza Royale Palace Chengdu as your prefered choice and your kind feedback. I hope you have a good time in this beautiful Pixian town and you must had tried all goodies of Chengdu. I am sad to inform you that you have miss out our Matsuya Japanese restaurant as it is voted the best speciality restaurant in town. You must check it out during your next visit.
We are also reviewing our currency exchange but there is strict controlled over the number of countries of currencies avaliable here.
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2011

I have stayed here many many times on business travel. The hotel has massive issues with check-in each time. I routinely get keys that dont work, and a staff that avoids answering questions: they need a lot of training to become satisfactory at custoemr service. The concierge is always a charm, and very helpful. the managers are also very good, but it is unfortunate to ahve to escalate so often on routine trips. recently, the food offerings had a make-over, which was welcome for a western palate. the pool recently opened; it is probably 25 meters: a rare find for a lap swimmer! the grounds are beautiful. the rooms well decorated. the only drawback is the dront desk staff and the lack of english or service capability.

Room Tip: i like the rooms ending in 06: the layout is nicer than the regular rooms.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for choosing Wyndham Grand Plaza Royale Palace Chengdu as your prefer hotel and your kind feedback. Your likes for the 06 room type is exceptional unique because there is only 1 each floor and they are all designers selection.
We have reviewed our key card system and have rectified this issue. However, if you will to encounter this issues again, there is a phone on each floor, just pick it up and inform our "Count on me" associates and we will be there to assist you.
We have enhance on our guest service training and english training. We hope that during your next visit, our associate will be able to at lest understand your needs and assist you.
Last but not lest, we look forward to see you soon in Wyndham Grand Plaza Royale Palace Chengdu.
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2011

Stayed here many times in 2010/2011. The facility is very nice and rooms great since this is a new hotel. But it is far from town - about an hour drive to the center of Chengdu. If you are not Chinese you may have trouble with the staff understanding your questions. They want to give good service but sometimes do not understand what you are requesting. Also, there is nothing around the hotel yet - there will be in time but not currently so you either stay/eat in the hotel or take a cab into town.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Snowmanpez
Geneva, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2010

I attended a conference at this hotel, pre opened. The staff did an amazing job and solved any experience problems with enthusiasm.
Hotel is 100% new so rooms are comfortable, decoration in perfect shape.
Some facilities (pool etc not yet ready)

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Sherry L, Manager at Wyndham Grand Plaza Royale Palace Chengdu, responded to this review, 30 March 2012
Thank you for choosing Wyndham Grand Plaza Royale Palace Chengdu as your prefered choice and your kind feedback. We are always dedicated to delivering extraordinary experience to all our honored guests and making this property the second home for you while you are far away from home either for business or for pleasure. It is such a great pleasure to share with all of you that all facilities are fully open now----our fantastic indoor swimming pool and fitness centre located at 1st floor, beautiful backyard, 3 well decorated restaurants, SPA, 17 spacious meeting rooms, Executive lounge, etc. A great public park, only 4 minutes walk in front of hotel, is also ready, so just enjoying little jogging or warm sunshine on that vast green land.
We are sincerely looking forward to seeing you soon in Wyndham Grand Plaza Royale Palace Chengdu.