“Value for money”

Ranked #205 of 2,706 Hotels in Chengdu
St Peter Port, United Kingdom
“Value for money”
Reviewed 28 August 2013 via mobile

This hotel doesn't look much from the outside, but the rooms are excellent. Very spacious and modern. We were impressed considering the price we paid. It's right outside the Wenshu Monastery metro stop so convenient for getting around the city. Staff didn't speak English which is to be expected, however they muddled through with us!

We were a little confused with the comments others have made about the bathroom screen. It wasn't transparent, slightly translucent dark colour that wasn't a problem at all.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank pm137137

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 10 June 2013

I had a business trip in Chengdu and had stayed here for 4 nights. Overall, the location is good in terms of its immediate connection to subway. Rooms are in good size and they do provide a washing machine. While it is rated as a 5 star, its service is average. At check-in, they had initially rejected my stay saying that they could not find my booking confirmation. When I was starting up my laptop and was trying to give them more information especially on the confirmed price through Booking.com, they instantly replied saying that it was absolutely not possible and they were so sure. Upon my strong request, they finally made a call to their upper office and then found out that the confirmation was not routed down to the reception. I was standing there waiting for 15mins and no one intended to make a gesture for the trouble caused. Then, after my visit to that massive earthquake location, I decided to go for a spa\massage, the girl in charge had confirmed my slot. But when I changed my clothing and went down, they gave the slot to someone else. is that first come first serve? I was dressed in a bathrobe, short and slippers standing there, can you imagine? I suspected that because I did not ask for a SPECIAL service which would cause me RMB1440, ridiculously higher than a standard one at RMB368 or 398. When I complained to their reception during check-out, they had no guts to take up my challenges, playing the tricks trying to let me go first. Based on my vast experience in Chinese hotels, the breakfast is average, cannot match with those genuine 5 star. Won't stay here for my next business trip.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank richardly
San Francisco
Reviewed 21 July 2012

My friend and I had a pleasant stay here. You need to take an airpot shuttle to a train station and then go a few stops to get to the hotel, so knowing how to navigate beforehand is essential. Otherwise the hotel is right above the train station in a central part of town. The staff is friendly and helpful. My friend spoke Mandarin to them, so I don't know how well they would do with English. But my observation was that I might have had a bit of trouble communicating if my friend wasn't there.
The rooms were clean but small, especially the bathroom. And there was something weird about the frosted glass for bathroom. It was a bit odd when sharing a room with a friend. The hotel is not that old, I suspect, but I could start seeing the age of the bathroom, if they don't keep up with tile maintanence and mold control. But for now, it's still acceptable. The beds were firm.
We had a small issue with the toilet and wifi connection, but those problems were taken care of immediately.
Breakfast was excellent. Great selection of Asian foods, as well as some western choices.
Overall, good value for the money.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Cambodia
Reviewed 16 July 2012

Rooms have their own washing machine, very handy when you're on the road for an extended period of time. I stayed in a superior room, but would recommend paying around $5 more and going deluxe. Superior rooms were small and have an almost see through bathroom, no so great if you are two friends travelling together. Deluxe rooms were much bigger. Traffic noise will be a problem for those who are sensitive to it.

Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Brisbane
Reviewed 11 May 2012

A a tourist there is no central part of Chengdu so the next best location is one close to the metro. The Grand Club is right above a metro station and the airport bus is 2 stations away then a 2 minute walk. We were unable to find a public transport method of getting to the pandas so took a taxi.
The Grand Club has big modern rooms with a kitchenette and a washing machine (soap powder supplied). The bathroom is enclosed by translucent glass (not transparent as some reviewers had mentioned but quite roomy. Modern and a but funky - very comfortable.
The breakfast was reasonable although there was no cereal. There is a chef to prepare your eggs and an abundance of staff to help out with any problem you might have though most don't speak English. So this is a good place to try some other foods at breakfast. Try the BBQ pork buns - the best I have every tasted and I tasted a lot while staying at the Grand Club!

Room Tip: We had a deluxe room which may mean a higher floor and the view was great.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 11 March 2012

Newly renovated, this hotel was very nice! Weird set up though! Reception for hotel was on 4th floor! Staff spoke very little English, made check in tricky! Due to translation one day we had set menu western breakfast, next day, buffet! Wasn't charged different, was just funny! Husband had massage in hotel, was expensive, but very good. We had 2 adults, 2 kids, had to have two king rooms, firm mattress, not as hard as some in china! hotel is in banking district, we had trouble finding somewhere to eat close to hotel. Restaurant in hotel was bit pricey for us.

Room Tip: Remember to use glass lift to fourth floor then use internal lift to your room floor. Take English/C...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 March 2012

Taxi driver knew where hotel was, central location above train station. Had booked twin beds but at check in said only 1 bed booked, staff found a twin bed room without a fuss. Room was well set up although bathroom was a let down, transparent glass and hadn't been updated.

Lobby and surrounds very nice, restaurant breakfast was a la carte on sat and buffet on sun. Lots of Asian options and eggs and bacon.

Staff had limited English but tried their best to help out with tourist stuff like the pandas.

Credit card mini bar security charged to card on check in and then refunded on check out RMB 500.

All room info, signs in hotel, lift signs etc only in Mandarin.

• Stayed March 2012