“Convenient for metro”

Chengdu Grand Club Hotel
Ranked #160 of 2,754 Hotels in Chengdu
Reviewed 26 April 2014

The hotel is located right outside Wenshu. Monastery metro station on line one. Take exit H and the hotel is right in front of you. We had a deluxe suite, which was very spacious and modern. It was clean, but not spotless. The room claims to accommodate 2 adults and one child (up to 12) but they don't have any extra beds other than cots, so the three of us had to share one king sized bed. The room had a kitchen with fridge and electric hob but strangely no crockery or cooking equipment other than a kettle and a couple of mugs. There were wine glasses but you'll need your own corkscrew. There is a washing machine and a rack for drying clothes. There is a small packet of washing powder in with the toiletries in the bathroom, or a bag is only 60p from the shops near by. Breakfast was included in our rate. If you like Chinese breakfast of noodles and stir fried vegetables it is very good. If, like our son, you are looking for a western breakfast it isn't so good. Despite the large picture of French bread above the kitchen, there is the most basic white sliced with a toaster. They ran out of butter part way through our stay and didn't bother to get any more in. Overall, a good room, but perhaps not for families.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank HappyFamily0f3

Reviewed 18 November 2013

I have a pleasant 2 nights stay in this hotel. However, due to not feeling well upon my last day here therefore decide to extend another 2 nights in this hotel to rest. When I approached a lady receptionist name 'Huang Yin' asked about the new room rates & where was the nearest hospital, she showed a very unpolite face & rude upon responded to me. I was sick at that time & was so unhappy of her service. She didn't even wanted to look at me when answering question. She was rude too when I asked about her name, where she said was that important to know her name? She was reluctant to tell her name until I asked her many times. I feel that this shouldn't appear in a five star hotel. Apart of this, I have to admit that the men receptionist was good (i forgot his name) and was very helpful upon my first 2 days here. He was very attentive and fast respond when the electricity in my room room. I would said the service is important especially in a 4-5 stars hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 August 2013 via mobile

This hotel doesn't look much from the outside, but the rooms are excellent. Very spacious and modern. We were impressed considering the price we paid. It's right outside the Wenshu Monastery metro stop so convenient for getting around the city. Staff didn't speak English which is to be expected, however they muddled through with us!

We were a little confused with the comments others have made about the bathroom screen. It wasn't transparent, slightly translucent dark colour that wasn't a problem at all.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank pm137137
Reviewed 10 June 2013

I had a business trip in Chengdu and had stayed here for 4 nights. Overall, the location is good in terms of its immediate connection to subway. Rooms are in good size and they do provide a washing machine. While it is rated as a 5 star, its service is average. At check-in, they had initially rejected my stay saying that they could not find my booking confirmation. When I was starting up my laptop and was trying to give them more information especially on the confirmed price through Booking.com, they instantly replied saying that it was absolutely not possible and they were so sure. Upon my strong request, they finally made a call to their upper office and then found out that the confirmation was not routed down to the reception. I was standing there waiting for 15mins and no one intended to make a gesture for the trouble caused. Then, after my visit to that massive earthquake location, I decided to go for a spa\massage, the girl in charge had confirmed my slot. But when I changed my clothing and went down, they gave the slot to someone else. is that first come first serve? I was dressed in a bathrobe, short and slippers standing there, can you imagine? I suspected that because I did not ask for a SPECIAL service which would cause me RMB1440, ridiculously higher than a standard one at RMB368 or 398. When I complained to their reception during check-out, they had no guts to take up my challenges, playing the tricks trying to let me go first. Based on my vast experience in Chinese hotels, the breakfast is average, cannot match with those genuine 5 star. Won't stay here for my next business trip.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank richardly
Reviewed 21 July 2012

My friend and I had a pleasant stay here. You need to take an airpot shuttle to a train station and then go a few stops to get to the hotel, so knowing how to navigate beforehand is essential. Otherwise the hotel is right above the train station in a central part of town. The staff is friendly and helpful. My friend spoke Mandarin to them, so I don't know how well they would do with English. But my observation was that I might have had a bit of trouble communicating if my friend wasn't there.
The rooms were clean but small, especially the bathroom. And there was something weird about the frosted glass for bathroom. It was a bit odd when sharing a room with a friend. The hotel is not that old, I suspect, but I could start seeing the age of the bathroom, if they don't keep up with tile maintanence and mold control. But for now, it's still acceptable. The beds were firm.
We had a small issue with the toilet and wifi connection, but those problems were taken care of immediately.
Breakfast was excellent. Great selection of Asian foods, as well as some western choices.
Overall, good value for the money.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 July 2012

Rooms have their own washing machine, very handy when you're on the road for an extended period of time. I stayed in a superior room, but would recommend paying around $5 more and going deluxe. Superior rooms were small and have an almost see through bathroom, no so great if you are two friends travelling together. Deluxe rooms were much bigger. Traffic noise will be a problem for those who are sensitive to it.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 May 2012

A a tourist there is no central part of Chengdu so the next best location is one close to the metro. The Grand Club is right above a metro station and the airport bus is 2 stations away then a 2 minute walk. We were unable to find a public transport method of getting to the pandas so took a taxi.
The Grand Club has big modern rooms with a kitchenette and a washing machine (soap powder supplied). The bathroom is enclosed by translucent glass (not transparent as some reviewers had mentioned but quite roomy. Modern and a but funky - very comfortable.
The breakfast was reasonable although there was no cereal. There is a chef to prepare your eggs and an abundance of staff to help out with any problem you might have though most don't speak English. So this is a good place to try some other foods at breakfast. Try the BBQ pork buns - the best I have every tasted and I tasted a lot while staying at the Grand Club!

Room Tip: We had a deluxe room which may mean a higher floor and the view was great.