“Pleasantly surprised”

Holiday Inn Chengdu Oriental Plaza
Ranked #33 of 2,790 Hotels in Chengdu
Reviewed 23 March 2014

I was pleasantly surprised by my stay at this hotel. I was booked here by my employer and didn't expect much from a Holiday Inn. I may have to re-visit by prejudices. This, however, was a terrific hotel. I have stayed at lots of hotels in China over the years and this right up near the top. The room was well designed for a business trip (possibly a couple would have been a bit cramped. Aside from the bed -- which was huge -- horizontal spaces were on the small side. There was a coffee table. It was small. There was desk space. It was small. There was a built-in ledge for suitcases. It was small -- too small to open my admittedly large clam-shell suitcase. The bathroom (shower only) was excellent. The bed was comfortable. The room was quiet. The wifi worked (as well as internet connections can work in China) and there was a wired connection if you preferred one. Tissue test? Check. There was a box of tissues. Shaving mirror test? Check. They had one. Plentiful complimentary bottled water? Check. Breakfast was good (full range of Chinese breakfast dishes, of course, but also Japanese and America. Egg station -- good omelet, waffle station -- complete with whipped cream and berries, proper American-style bacon cooked fresh for you if that's what you want. Large selection of breads and pastries that won't threaten bakers in France or Denmark, but were a welcome reprieve from steamed buns and congee). Staff helpful. Check-in and check-out were both quick. Although many staff don't speak English, they would always find one who did. When I asked the concierge for some local directions he came outside with me and literally pointed me on my way. Complaints? So minor as to be irrelevant. Could have used a couple more hangers. When I was there the hotel was hosting lots of kids -- perhaps a school group? --so there were lots of ten year olds in the breakfast room. There were also several families with young children. All were very well-behaved, but it did rather clog the breakfast queue if you were in a hurry. And as others have commented, the room thermostat really doesn't do anything (a common trait in many hotels in China. Perhaps it's government policy?) Would I stay again? Absolutely.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank sleepysteve
Vicky K, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Chengdu Oriental Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2014

Dear Sleepysteve

Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us.

We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. We will continue to strive in delivering quality services, allowing our guests' to indulge in the best they deserve.Once again, we look forward to your next stay with us and continuous support in the near future.

Thank you!

Sincerely

Reviewed 8 March 2014

I stayed in this hotel for 3 nights in March. The room was very nice, modern, clean, all the basics were available and wifi was free of charge in room and lobby. Breakfast was good and plenty of choice. Staff were all very helpful, especially Mr A. Tian.
The location is good, just a few steps away from the Metro station.
Would definitely stayed here again when I next visit Chengdu.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank kolukolu
Nicole L, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Chengdu Oriental Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2014

Dear Kolukolu

Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us.

We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our service made your stay experience more memorable. We will continue to strive in delivering quality services, allowing our guests' to indulge in the best they deserve.

Once again, we look forward to your next stay with us and continuous support in the near future. Thank you!

Sincerely.

Reviewed 12 January 2014

This fairly new hotel located right on the metro station, there's nothing much to do near the hotel but the transportation nearby is convenient enough(Took metro from Chengdu East Railway station to here and from the hotel to 80% of other touring places). As a platinum member, I got free room upgrade to executive floor with free breakfast. The room is little bit small but it's comfy enough for a couple to stay. All rooms are facing the opposite side of the street so the noise is minimized. It's cold in December in Chengdu, so we had to keep the A/C running during the night. The room air got extremely dry, both of us woke up during sleep and I got nose bleed due to dryness. The hotel doesn't provide humidifier and it'd be really nice to have one during winter. When the A/C's off, there's still air flowing into the room with smoke from other rooms (could be just my room), there's no way to turn the fan completely off even by maintenance staff.
There are huge selections in breakfast but the service needs a lot of improvement. We had lamb chops the last day of breakfast even. Staffs wouldn't provide any coffee/tea without asking and seems they only care of taking finished plates from you.
I'd return to this hotel if it's not winter.

Room Tip: If you like authentic local food, go into the residents area behind the hotel, there's tons of r...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Conan C
Reviewed 7 January 2014

My wife and I stayed three weeks in this hotel for leisure. While we had some complaints at the beginning, hotel staff tried their best to meet our needs and to make our stay nice and pleasant. The hotel is close to the city center and public transport (both bus and subway) is at doorstep. The breakfast is one of the best we have experienced, with so many varieties and high quality. The happy hour at the executive lounge is also great and staff were able to meet our demands to make it better. Hotel staff are very friendly and proud to work in the hotel.
We have enjoyed very much our stay in Holiday Inn Oriental Plaza Chengdu.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 January 2014

I stayed here the last night of a two week winter visit to Chengdu. The hotel is centrally located, clean, and apparently well-maintained. The room was adequate size, heating and hot water were plentiful, the bed was comfortable, and on the 12th floor street noise was minimal. Internet service was fast and reliable, and Wi-Fi is available throughout the property. The room also featured a large flat-screen TV which I did not use. A bakery, a couple of liquor stores, and several mini-marts and convenience stores are located just across the river. Having spent six nights at a monastery prior to my arrival at Holiday Inn, I found the choices at the breakfast buffet somewhat overwhelming. All tastes and interests are seemingly accommodated. Staff was friendly and helpful, except on one occasion. I asked about visiting the nearby Daci temple. I had plotted the route via Google maps but asked for confirmation from the front desk. Of the two women I spoke with, neither could find the hotel on a city map. They had to get out a hotel-printed map in order to do so. They also could not tell me the best walking route to the temple (which requires after exiting the hotel one right and one left turn). And on top of that, a male employee who joined our conversation informed me the temple was closed, which in fact it was not. Parts of it were shuttered for construction, but the temple was quite active. I even had lunch there. It's only a 15 minute walk from the hotel and makes a nice break on the way to shopping arcade.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank TheloniousRinpoche
Reviewed 25 December 2013

Room is very new and the communication is very convention,The subway station is right at the door stepthe fd staff is warmth .I am happy with its location. The rooms were very tidy! Breakfast is amazing.I like this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 December 2013

the service of this hotel was definitely thoughtful and warm. the room I stayed is also very comfortable, the condition of the room is great, too. the manager is very kind and responsible. i will definitely choose to stay in this hotel while my next trip in Chengdu.

Room Tip: Club Lounge is a good place you can chat with friend, and the staff also is helpful.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business