“Sichuan Cuisine - at the ready” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cooking School In China

Cooking School In China
More attraction details
Owner description: Do you love to cook? If YES>>>> Join us for a professional cooking class at China's top rated culinary College - the SICHUAN HIGHER INSTITUTE OF CUISINE in Chengdu China, where the teaching staff will impart years of culinary experience and insight. We offer PRIVATE LESSONS, long term study with our Chinese students or our most popular signature TWO-WEEK INTENSIVE PROGRAM for English speaking home and professional chefs given twice a year.Bring a sense of adventure to the kitchen as you learn to prepare Sichuan dishes with complex flavors and explosive spices in a highly professional environment.Our two-week program teaches over 30 dishes spanning the highlights of Sichuan cuisine in a condensed course. You and your fellow food-loving travelers will prepare Sichuanese dishes and snacks, like spicy Zhong dumplings and Gong Bao chicken with peanuts. You'll learn to wield a Chinese cleaver with confidence, control the heat of a wok, and tease out the famously complex Sichuan flavors-like numbing-hot and fish-fragrant-from the freshest raw ingredients. In addition, you'll visit the market place to source authentic ingredients AND enjoy festive dinners with fellow travelers.
New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Sichuan Cuisine - at the ready”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2013

I did the two week course in October 2013. Overall a very positive experience. Starting in a home kitchen the restaurant woks and burners took some serious getting used to, but have also spoiled me on my wimpy kitchen at home.

The chef's definitely know their craft, though the translation can sometimes be a bit challenging, the student translators have good English, but without the experience in the kitchen we sometimes had issues explaining what exactly we were trying to learn from the Chef's.

It is a very good foundation for cooking Sichuan.

Visited October 2013

Hong Kong, China
99 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 171 helpful votes
“Private cooking class in Chengdu! Making the dishes you want!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013

OK, I am a traveler and enjoy seeing the sites and eating local cuisine. From time to time my wife and/or I take some local cooking classes. One of my favorites is in Beijing at thehutong.org where along with a group you learn to make a dish in a 1-2 hour class. I have found the instructors in these sorts of classes generally good and the cooking teaching tools acceptable.

I had never taken a class like this one though. This is a pretty major step up. The location is at a University, the Sichuan Higher Institute of Cuisine in Chengdu. Over 1,000 students of the 8,000 or so at the school are studying Chinese as well as western and other cuisines. (http://sichuanhigherinstituteofcuisine.com/)

The school offers multiple week classes for groups aimed at professional chefs. But THIS CLASS is a one-on one experience teaching cooking.

PROS: The location is that of a professional cooking school. Nothing second-rate here. You get a large menu to select 4-5 dishes you want to cook. You are taught by a professional cooking instructor/chef, not just an enthusiast. Although the chef only speaks Chinese, you are accompanied by an excellent translator who understands cooking. His English was excellent.

There was also a "helper" to handle the cleaning and miscellaneous tasks that can slow down a class if you have to do everything in advance. The format was simple: the chef prepares the dish from start to finish. Then you do the same! We varied from that format to make the dumplings --- we made those together even though I made the sauce myself after she made it the first time.

The instructor knows what you are doing wrong before you do it and I made lot's of mistakes. If my sauce wasn't perfect or I cooked something too long she wasn't hesitant to point it out. And when she then said that something had great flavor and texture I knew she meant it.

The length of the class was great. Nothing was rushed. Plenty of time to eat the dishes in between, lots of time for Q&A.

Clearly someone with better cooking skills than I have could benefit more than I did; nonetheless, it would be a great class for anyone who enjoys cooking.

CONS: It is a little way out of town. Like 22km from my hotel. The taxi fare averaged 18$ each way. It also is not cheap. However, I do think it is a good value.

Conclusion. Great thing for an individual or maybe couple to do in Chengdu. Far more interesting than most other Saturday afternoon ventures. After all, how many temples can you go see?

Visited September 2013
5 Thank fracmeister
Grimbergen, Belgium
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great introduction into the Sechuan kitchen”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013

Beginning of August I went to China to follow cooking classes at 3 different cooking schools to raise my knowledge of Chinese cuisine. In Chengdu at the Sichuan higher institute of cuisine, I got my best experience. A very professional, pleasant and interesting introduction of the Sechuan cuisine was given by a chef, who explained us -beside following the recipes- also the do’s and don’t’s, including why. For a food professional as myself, it is nice to learn things from people who know their business. Also Tom, our translator gave a very good impression. His explanation about the historical and cultural background of the presented food made the picture complete. Looking forward to follow the 2 week program. Rudy Van Eeckhout (Belgium)

Visited August 2013
3 Thank Rudy V
Guangzhou, China
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great food, great learning, great people”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2013

The CSC was fantastic. The course was filled with interesting people from around the world, Chengdu is one of China's more livable/enjoyable cities, and the culinary aspect of the course was superb--the chef instructors & translators were great and we learned a lot. I love Sichuan food and am really happy that I now am able to make really authentic dishes at home...my wife is thrilled too, and has no regrets about letting me take vacation alone for the 2 week course. Overall a very enjoyable and edifying program.

Visited April 2013
2 Thank Stephen F
Winterthur, Switzerland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing cooking experience in the heart of China”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2013

Unlike the others I attended a "private" 2-week cooking class at Sichuan Higher Institute of Cuisine in January. Therefore I could join a class with professional army and police chefs. As a professional chef myself I wanted to improve my understanding of Sichuan food and Chinese cooking in general. I definitely found here the best place possible! The teachers have a huge knowledge, my translator was extremly helpful and also took care of my during lunch time and in the evening and the food was just delicious! If you want to learn how to cook traditional Chinese food you are here at the right spot! I can fully recommend and would love to attend a second time ;)

Visited January 2013