“Incredible Stay”

Ascott Raffles City Chengdu
Ranked #17 of 2,714 Hotels in Chengdu
Reviewed 4 August 2014

While teaching at Sichuan University for five weeks, we lived in the Ascott Raffles. Service is amazing with a great 40 dish option breakfast buffet of both Chinese food and American. The extra outings are delightful with picking organic vegetables at a local south Chengdu farm, watching the World Cup Soccer outside on the plaza of Raffles City and even hosting Mr. Beer opening in the mall with a party on the 27th floor of the Tower with a jazz band. If you have any questions, the concierge is most helpful as are the folks at the front desk.

The room is very nice with a washer/dryer, kitchen and big bath tub in addition to the rain forest shower head. Rooms are kept clean, gym is a real gym with yoga offerings throughout the week. What I didn't expect but have grown to appreciate is that you can find a grocery store in the mall as well as restaurants. Interacting with professionals from around the world is a delight at breakfast. Being by the subway makes this an accessible hotel. All in all, I would stay here again for the value, for the service, for the food, and for the amenities.

Room Tip: If you are staying for a while, get the one with the washer/dryer and kitchen. I like fronting onto...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank janet h
Mervin H, General Manager at Ascott Raffles City Chengdu, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2014

Dear Janet H,

Greetings from the Ascott Raffles City Chengdu! I am heartened to learn about your fantastic experience with us over the course of your 5-week stay here.

I am delighted that our wide range of lifestyle activities here, had met and exceeded your expectations. There are certainly more exciting plans ahead to bring in new concepts - such as a brand new yoga studio, a brand new all day dining restaurant / coffee bar as well as different musical performances/guest artistes at our Jazz Bar Lounge on the pinnacle floor!

At the Ascott, we are humbled by your feedback and thank you once more for making our day, as much as we take pride in making yours!

I hope to see you soon once more at your "home away from home" here at the Ascott Raffles City Chengdu!

There are newer reviews for Ascott Raffles City Chengdu

Reviewed 29 June 2014

Staying for two nights due to business in the city. Room was clean and spacious, equipped with kitchen (with cooking utensils) and huge bathroom. Bed and shower were comfortable enough. Hotel was connected to a mall with some shops and restaurants, which was good. The package covered breakfast, which was okay. However, for business guests who may want to spend time for a drink, an afternoon coffee or dine at the hotel, there's still space for improvement on the services. We wondered if the hotel was still new or due to the number of guests staying there, as there was unbelievably limited services and menu at the hotel restaurant... Overall we had an enjoyable stay and we could imagine guests would probably enjoy if they were staying longer.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Mervin H, General Manager at Ascott Raffles City Chengdu, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2014

Dear Beriberry,

Greetings from the Ascott! We are greatly encouraged and motivated by your positive review on your stay experience with us. I am glad that we had met your expectations.

We had taken your valuable feedback onboard and made changes to improve our F&B servicing during this interim prior to my replies to you. You will be glad to know that the Ascott now has a full fledged all-day dining operations, covering a wide selection of options for lunch, high teas, a delicious dinner spread and a quality room service menu. To ensure our servicing remains top-notch, we have recruited one of the best executive chefs in Chengdu to helm our F&B offerings, covering the best of the East and the West. I am confident we will be able to meet your expectations on your next stays with us!

Thank you once more Beriberry for choosing to stay with the Ascott Raffles City Chengdu. Me and my team will be looking forward to welcoming you back to your "home away from home" really soon!

Reviewed 25 May 2014

Stayed at the Ascott Residence Service one night in May for a quick business trip on a Friday night. I wish I could say everything is great without "except" - the experience with the two bars. The bar on the 8th floor had wired and loud music, no tea nor soft drinks; then went up to the 38th floor to meet a friend, ordered virgin mojito, the server told us they don't have sugar while making it. Oh well, what i can say. Overall experience at the Raffles was good, the breakfast was good and started at 6am. The location was convenient and the front desk was helpful in terms of getting a cab.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank SS W
Mervin H, General Manager at Ascott Raffles City Chengdu, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Dear SS W,

Thank you for your valuable feedback on your positive stay experience with us! I am truly delighted to know that we have met your expectations.

I understand your concerns with our 2 in-house lounge bars and i am truly sorry that we have fallen short in some of the more basic aspects of servicing. I have taken your comments onboard with our Bar Managers and reviewed our entire product and service offerings. As the original concept was to differentiate the 2 bars -one being a fine wine lounge bar and the other being more of a casual jazz bar, we had decided on 2 different range of beverage selections made available at each establishment. As a result, we featured predominatly alcoholic beverages, with a selection of non-alcoholic cocktails at the 9th floor bar, while the 38th floor pinnacle lounge bar featured a broader range of drinks from soft drinks, fruit juices to alcoholic beverages.

To increase our customers' options, we are now providing hot teas and a selection of soft drinks at the 9th floor lounge bar - "RANG" too.

For the service lapse on the 38th floor jazz club - "PRIVE", please accept my sincere apologies. It is an elementary mistake and we have taken steps to ensure it will not recur again.

Once more, thank you so much for sharing your valuable feedback with us. I am looking forward to welcoming you back to experience our 2 lounge bars once more and delivering a greater experience the next time you choose to stay at your "home away from home" at the Ascott Raffles City Chengdu!

Reviewed 23 May 2014

I recently took a night in the relatively new Ascott Raffles City for the first time, having spent numerous occasions in other properties in the city while on business. I have to say the Ascott ranks among the best of them, but it needs to iron out a few of the kinks I'm sure all good hotels find themselves facing in a developing city. The room (suite) itself was very spacious and well furnished. The bed in particular was oversized and great. I did take a peek at the amenities but didn't get to using them, which included a decent but small gym on the top floor with sauna , steam room, and swimming pool. A great looking bar on the 9th floor, though when I stopped in at around 9pm it was empty, with music still blaring. I was told the bar picks up towards midnight, though I was too tired to find out for myself. One thing I have to say I did think needs drastic improvement was the breakfast selection. It's not that it was bad, but there wasn't enough variety, certainly not for anyone who's careful with what they're eating. I did get to mention this to the GM, who informed me that they were in the process of bringing in a new team for breakfast service. I have to say breakfast is one of the facets of a hotel service I always put priority on when booking, especially when travelling in China where breakfast might mean a short selection of dumplings and a boiled egg! Thankfully the Ascott was well above this, but I'd hope to see more if I was to return. Overall a great property, conveniently located as part of the Raffles City mall on Renmin South Road, and right beside the Sichuan Gymnasium metro on Line 1. Anyone looking for a clean, comfortable, modern stay in Chengdu could do a lot worse than here.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Paul R

Dear Paul R,

Greetings from the Ascott! Thanks for taking time off your busy schedules to leave us a positive review of your stay experience.

As one of the major and distinctive landmarks in Chengdu, the flagship Ascott Raffles City property here offers one of the biggest rooms anywhere in the city. I am glad that you had found the room spacious and inviting.

As communicated during our breakfast chat, the quality and variety of breakfast offered is of paramount importance to me and my team here. We understand that breakfast is the most important meal of the day and a great breakfast means a great start of our residents. While we have not met your expectations this time round, i am pleased to inform you that we will be revamping the entire breakfast menu from mid-June. We will be offering a delicious range of healthy and wholesome breads, an organic selection of cold sides intertwined with flavorful hot dishes as well as great coffee at the bar and fresh juices. We will also introduce a good selection of foods culled from different cuisines, in order to cater to our broad base of global clientele. I am positive we will not disappoint you the next time we have breakfast at the Ascott!

Thank you once more, Paul R, for your feedback. Me and my team are fully committed to delivering the perfect guest experience for guests staying at the Ascott and we can only get better, with valuable feedback from privileged guests such as yourself.

I look forward to welcoming you back to your "home away from home" here at the Ascott Raffles City Chengdu!

Reviewed 6 May 2014

Been to Chengdu for the odd business trip, usually at one of the reputed hotel chains but have not been to the Ascott before. Being away for a project assignment, i was looking for a place with good location, ease of transportation and access to facilities/services.

As a new service residence, i was quite impressed with the rooms and the homely sense of familiarity it offered. While the rooms are big and airy, the best part of the rooms are the big comfortable beds with the full bathtub units. I liked the fact that it was quaint and quiet even though it overlooked the mall downstairs.

As an avid gym enthusiast, i thoroughly enjoyed the complimentary fitness classes on the weekends. One of the strongest suit at the Ascott has to be its' gym area, as it was well stocked with good equipment and good knowledge from the staff on training (was even weight-spotted by the helpful GM of the place!)

The staff were generally pleasant and tried their hardest, especially in helping make reservations for taxis (yes, you have to book those taxis and avoid the peak periods...) as well as recommendations for dining. I was surprised by the very well designed lounge bar on the 9th floor as well as the live music (smaller) bar on the top floor. . Good places for a nightcap.

This is a good place for a business/leisure stay for an extended period.

Room Tip: Choose one that is stadium facing
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank PatM007

Dear PatM007,

It is a joy to hear back from you. I trust the trip back to Houston has been good (albeit long and tiring!). I am glad that you had enjoyed the hospitality at the Ascott and i thoroughly enjoyed talking to you about fitness, the NFL draft and also the ongoing NBA finals!

Your words of encouragement have been a major boost of confidence for me and my team, and we are motivated to do even better and exceed your expectations on your next visits with us!

Please feel free to let me know when you will be back in Chengdu next, i will be delighted to catch up with you again at your "home away from home" here in the Ascott Raffles City Chengdu.

With best regards,

Reviewed 3 May 2014

I never wrote a review before but I have to this time.I traveled a lot in Asia. Especially in China.
I stayed in Ascott for the Chengdu wine fair in March.
Rooms were very big and with a good view. But that was the only good thing with this place.
The breakfast was very bad and not enough people were working there.
No service at all. The entrance was on the backside of the building. Very difficult to find.
Even many taxi drivers don’t know how to go there. Have to walk from the street in front of Raffles city which is pretty far if you carry something with you like I did every day.
To get taxi in the mornings was almost impossible. People working in the door was not helpful and most of them had a very bad attitude.They could call for taxis, but that cost extra money?

Room Tip: I only saw 2 rooms and they was nice,,
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Mervin H, General Manager at Ascott Raffles City Chengdu, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Dear Nathan D,

Thank you for your taking time out to provide us with an insightful review on areas we need to improve further.

Since your last stay with us, there had been a comprehensive action plan in place to address the problems you had raised. For Breakfast, i am pleased to inform you that we have revamped the entire breakfast offerings, in the process of instilling a new service team and most importantly, to raise the standards of servicing. The Breakfast spread now includes a strong selection from the bakery, quality fresh brewed coffee, a hearty selection of salads and traditional hot side dishes. We will be looking to continually improve our Breakfast selection, as providing our guests with a wholesome breakfast is still of utmost importance to us in creating the perfect stay experience.

We will continue to work closely with the taxi companies here in Chengdu, to drive greater awareness of our location. As we are still conveniently located in the heart of the city, we are also serviced by a convenient metro station. This will provide our guests with another option, during the rush or peak hours.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the attitude of our doormen. We understand that their servicing had fallen short of your expectations and we had been taking corrective actions to raise this standard through training. Customer servicing is of paramount importance to us and we take any form of inferior servicing very seriously, and we definitely do not condone such behavior.

Thank you once more, Nathan D, for giving us the opportunity to improve and rectify areas where we had fallen short. I hope we do have the privilege once more in welcoming you back to our property, and restore your faith and confidence in our revamped product and service. Please feel free to contact me at mervin.ho@the-ascott at any time.

Mervin

I stayed in Ascott for the Chengdu wine fair in March.
The breakfast was very bad and not enough people were working there.

Reviewed 20 April 2014

My family and I had a great time staying at Ascott’s Chengdu. We had planned this trip for a while and decided to stay in both the hotel and service apartments to try out different experiences.
Both towers function very well, and if you are traveling with a young baby like us, the large hotel suites work as well as a 2 bedroom service apartment.
I have stayed at other Ascott hotels and Chengdu’s facilities are true to their tradition of offering a family friendly environment. The amenities include nice lounge areas and a children playroom. Being atop a mall and the great plaza offers a variety of possibilities to enjoy the place as a destination in Chengdu in its own right.
The staff was very friendly and attentive. In more than one occasion they showed up to check if all was to our liking and if we needed anything for our baby, I was surprised and this is the first time this happens in my 6+ years in China. I was pleased with how the staff tried to help with challenges that are typical for Chengdu, like helping with taxi bookings.
It would be great if they could improve their good service with providing food room service. This may not be a typical service for the brand, but having a few restaurants and being adjacent to a mall with many choices, going the extra mile to provide this service would help young families a great deal.
Will certainly return in the near future.

Room Tip: Try corner suites, facing the plaza. great views and lots of light!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Mervin H, General Manager at Ascott Raffles City Chengdu, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

Dear Roberto B,

It is great to hear from you! We had a delightful time hosting you and your family at our residences. I am glad that you and your family had enjoyed 2 different stay experiences in Tower 3 and Tower 4.

As part of our service DNA and commitment to service excellence, we always endeavor to exceed all our guests' expectations by going the extra mile. Nothing brightens our day more than the reassurance that our guests are enjoying their stay with us.

While we are still on the journey of improvement to become better in what we do, i am greatly appreciative of your feedback on room service. At the current moment, we run an all-day dining restaurant that closes at 9pm. Room service is certainly an element that we will be enhancing our service with, so as to provide our guests with an added option of dining when the Raffles City mall closes.

Thank you once more, Roberto B, it was a pleasure and honor to be of service to you and your family. On behalf of me and the team here at the Ascott, we look forward to welcoming you back really soon to your "home away from home"!