“Good Hotel”

Sofitel Chengdu Taihe
Ranked #17 of 2,730 Hotels in Chengdu
Reviewed 26 March 2014

This is very first time me and my husband came to Chengdu and stayed at Sofitel, I have to say the loation is great, it is walking distance to the CBD, and only 10 to 15 mins taxi to all the other attactions. The staffs there are very helpful, always willing to help, sometimes they are not veyr good at Speaking English but i can see they were trying so hard to let me understand. the Front Desk Staffs are very nice, Conciege are always smiling.

Maybe because I arrived very late, they have upgrade me to a suit, the room is very nice with a good view, the only problem was the Air con was not cool enough.

The hotel looks a bit old from outside. maybe a renovation needed.

Room Tip: Ask to upgrade
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Hanson X, Manager at Sofitel Chengdu Taihe, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2014

Hi Coral,

Thank you very much for your comment and I guess you had a great time with your husband in Chengdu!

For the aircon problem you mentioned, we test the room temperature every day and open our aircon when the outside temperature is above 23 degree to make sure the most comfortable room temperature ( best indoor comfort level) for our guests.

Thank you again for your constructive comments and we are looking forward to your next visit!

Kind Regards,

Tina Xing

Asst. Quality Manager

Reviewed 24 March 2014

I visited Sofitel Chengdu in Feb during the CNY period. My first impression is not very good, the hotel is a bit old from the outside, located opposite to a river.

However, when I walked in, the sincere smile of the front office staff made me feel like welcome and comfortable. The atomosphere in the lobby is very heart warming. I got a free upgrade at the FD and one of the doorman escorted me to the room with my luggages. The food in hotel japanese restaurant suprised me during my stay and it's not expensive at all!!!!

The facilities in the room have seen better days but i can see that people there did a fantanstic maintenance job. The services of all hotel staff was great! I felt that I began to love this hotel as if it were an middle aged man, queit, mature and charming...

Five star, great service, good location.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Olivia,

Thank you very much for your comment and I am sure our staff will be very happy to see that!

Our excellent location and great service always makes us stand out from other five star hotels and you explained us very well!

We are looking forward to your next stay!

Best Regards,

Tina Xing

Asst. Quality Manager

Reviewed 19 March 2014

Love this hotel and it has a great location! 10 minutes you can arrive the famous sites of chengdu.
Hotel is next to the metro. The French service is very nice, every stuff speak "bonjour" that make me felt at France. The bedroom was very clean and I really like the bath products. You may try the food in hotel, I went to the Japanese restaurant, the sashimi was very fresh and the sushi within cheese was tasty. The waiters there were very friendly. I will choose Sofitel next time in chengdu!

Room Tip: Reserve the room by the riverside that have a excellent view!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Hanson X, General Manager at Sofitel Chengdu Taihe, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

Dear Nicole,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your wonderful experience at Sofitel Chengdu. We are grateful to learn that you had a fabulous time during your stay.

We recommend you to try our JP restaurant on the 2nd floor next time which gains widespread good comments from the Chengdu market and we offer 20% off discount to our in room guest.

Looking forward to your next stay!

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 13 March 2014

The service level was poor, after check-in, they dont border to tell you what package you have (in my package, I have massage, roundtrip airport transfer etc). room abit outdated, poor location (need to take taxi or distance walk to shopping area or POI).

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dear Jamey M,

Warmest greetings from Sofitel Chengdu, I hope this message finds you well.

We are always seeking feedback from our guests to understand of what they value during their stays and what can be improved to make their stay experience more memorable. However, with regards to the FO , I am sorry to learn that our FO agent didn't give you clear explanations and I have spoken to FO to ensure this will not happen again.

Warmest

Reviewed 6 March 2014

I have found the rooms to be great; the food at the European/Chinese style buffet fantastic and at competitive price & service at tables plus furthermore, the front desk people really giving great service. Breakfast really top-class and could be a benchmark for many European hotels.
I also appreciate possibility to swim and have great gym available at very convenient business hours.

Room Tip: Would be nice to have a room to the river
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Dear Jari M M,

I am pleased to hear that you were very satisfied with our breakfast. I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Don't wait so long to come and visit us!

Sofitel Luxury Hotels

Reviewed 28 February 2014

Myself and a companion stayed at this hotel and from the minute we walked through door it was terrible. Receptionists couldn't find our reservation even thought we had confirmation email with booking ref and had paid in full in advance. They did however give us a room for the night and assured us that they would sort problem out the next day. We enquired the following day at 2 different times if everything was in order and where assured on both occasions that they had located our reservation and payment. However 2 days later when I checked my Bank account I discovered that my account had been charged again with the full amount. I contacted reception who denied that they had put another payment through, and they asked to see proof of same. I pulled my bank details up and showed them both charges, the initial one in January and the 2nd one two days into our stay. I was contacted by guest services manager the following day who again told me I was wrong & that the swipe of my card at check in was to cover 'incidental' items such as room service. Eventually after another day of arguing the hotel conceded they had indeed made a mistake, but it would take 2/3 weeks to process a refund. The plate of fruit they sent as an apology to the room, did not make up for all the hassle and worry they caused us. It would have been nice to have a decent view out of our window instead of the waste ground and make shift car park that we overlooked, especially as we were resident for 10 days. I would also not expect to have repaired ripped sheets on my bed in any hotel especially not a 5 star one! The pool has seen better days and could do with a complete over haul. Food was ok, although we opted to dine out on most days, as we did feel that we had become the 'problem' guests.
It appeared to be a hassle for the doormen to call a cab, so we ended up going down to the road ourselves and hailing one out of the traffic if we needed one, We found out early on that booking a taxi was pointless, either the hotel didn't book them or they just didn't show up, not sure which ! Although the hours of the business centre stated it was open from 9am to 11pm, on going down to print our boarding passes at 7.45pm it was locked up. Reception told us it shut at 6pm that day, but didn't give us a reason. The only assistance we got during our whole stay was from Kate, who went out of her way the next day to help us print boarding passes as the only PC with 'english' didn't have adobe reader. Needless to say we wont be back, still awaiting refund !

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Innisfree63
Hanson X, General Manager at Sofitel Chengdu Taihe, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2014

Dear Innisfree63,

Merci for your constructive comments and please accept our sincere apologies that you had such an unpleasant experience at our hotel!

At Sofitel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer and your feedback is very important to us.

We really appreciate if you could contact us directly to give us more details that we can learn from and improve our services.

we are looking forward to hearing from you and I hope we can make up for you in the future.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 12 January 2014

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Quality Manager S, General Manager at Sofitel Chengdu Taihe, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014